1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Skid steer trip edge

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by bossman08, Nov 11, 2013.

1. bossman08

bossman08 Junior Member

We are getting two 9ft with wings and i have a question about the cutting edges. The company i work for recently became a boss dealer and came up with a question. The plows come technically without a cutting edge as it says when you purchase them. So we looked into this. We contacted boss and they said you wear down the piece of steel that is on it tell about 1 inch below the bolt holes. We then talked to a different distributer and found out they put a cutting edge on over the piece of steel that comes on it (which would be the trip edge part). We are wondering if dealers do this to make the trip edge stronger or if they dont realize that they are suppose to wear that piece of steel down first. It seems like a waste of money to us to put a cutting edge on but mabye people know something we dont. Does anyone have a solution to this?

2. #1 plowtech

#1 plowtech Senior Member

Here is the solution- its your choice.

Most just wear the base angle down to 1 inch of the holes then install blade.
    Its really not a big deal, its just out of the norm to here such a thing.
    or...
    put an edge on so you don't have to worry about it.

3. potskie

potskie Senior Member
    from Ontario

Fisher does the same thing with alot of their blades. From what I understand it's to help be competitive price wise with diamond back in the day. It's why you see all those shiney new XLS' running around without cutting edges. I personally am wearing my mount down before getting a cutting edge. My front end is barely legal weight wise as is lol

4. bossman08

bossman08 Junior Member

Ok that sounds good thanks for the help

5. xtreem3d

xtreem3d PlowSite.com Addict

I don't know if you have seen them yet but if you bolt on the cutting edge to the brand new plow you would wear down about 2 inches (just a guess, I am not in front of mine) of the cutting edge then start wearing into the trip edge. In other words it's OK to wear the trip edge first otherwise you would be changing cutting edges at 2" intervals if you wanted to save your trip edge,
    Steve