1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Skid steer tracks or Wheels 10' Snow pusher

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment' started by Plow man Foster, Sep 18, 2011.

1. Plow man Foster

Plow man Foster PlowSite.com Addict

with me Being site manager where i work, I get the choice of choosing either a skid with tires Or Tracks....I've personally never used a skid in the snow. So im relying on you guys for help! This skid will be at a few commercial lots/ strip malls and maybe even dropped in a couple sub divisions for clean up and for pushing piles back and such.

Majority of the time we will have a 10' box on it. Every other time it will just have a regular bucket or forks on it.

Which would be better in my situation??

2. Plow man Foster

no one uses skidsteers??????

3. joester

joester Junior Member

We have a Bobcat 773 rubber tire machine with 8' rubber edged pusher. I can't say we have had too many problems with it. Only gets tricky when things start icing up. Most of our lots are zero tolerance so it's not a problem too often. I've never run a tracked skidsteer in the snow, but have seen many others with them.

4. Plow man Foster

Okay well this will be at a zero tol. Site so i predict it will be deiced everytime we push...

5. Advantage

Advantage Senior Member

Tires for sure

6. MatthewG

MatthewG PlowSite.com Addict

Tires 100%

7. buckwheat_la

buckwheat_la 2000 Club Member

Another on tires, but I question using a 10ft box. What size of skid are you using? a 10ft box is only used on some of the largest skidsteers, the problem being the weight, not power of the skid. I know some people do use 10ft pushes on their skids, but I personally don't agree with it, I mean you are taking away from the whole point of having the skidsteer which in my opinion is maneuverability. Why have a 10ft pusher that stalls out half way through a push.

8. kimber750

kimber750 PlowSite Veteran

I did snow removal for excavation company many years ago and we only used the tracked skiddy's when a wheeled skiddy broke. The tracks seem to make them float on the snow instead of digging in like the tires do, kinda like riding on ice skates. Level ground is not too bad but any kind of slop can get very interesting.

9. Matson Snow

Matson Snow PlowSite.com Addict

I bet he will have the "Biggest" and most "Awesome" Skid out there........Go with the Tires and Maybee think about an 8 Foot Box.....Thumbs Up

10. SNOWLORD

SNOWLORD Senior Member
    from MN

Tires unless your looking for birth control.

11. Plow man Foster

You know i will! ;) But yeah i am looking for the biggest skid steer i can get.
    I say go big or go home! Thinking either a 272C skid or even a 907 Compact loader both Cats
    LMAOOOOOO!!!!:laughing::laughing:
    took me a min. but i soon got it!

12. mach6353

mach6353 Junior Member
    from iowa

Been running SR 80 ASV the last 5 years with 12 ' pusher ,Gehl 5640 before we bought ASV.
    Track machine hands down out performs wheel machine in any conditions.Never ran anything but lug tires so cant say how different tires would handle .I would personally never buy another wheel machine for snow removal ,plus tracks don't beat you to death in rough lots.

13. buckwheat_la

So a 9000lb machine pushes around a 12ft push full of snow? I am sorry, but I want to see this set-up, pics please.

14. mach6353

mach6353 Junior Member
    from iowa

If you have ever pushed with an Arctic sectional you wouldn't question it ,but will see if I can round up a pic or 2

15. DaySpring Services

DaySpring Services PlowSite.com Addict

My Bobcat S-220 sucked it the snow. It wouldn't push my 8' Avalanche box. It was ok for cleanup but that's about it. I sold both the box and skid and bought a tractor. I'm much happier now.

16. buckwheat_la

Ok, I looked on the site, and they have a listing for the Arctic sectional 12ft and even a 14ft with a skidsteer. SO if the OP is going to run a Arctic sectional on his unit, then definetly the is a testimonial that a large track machine with a Arctic snow push may be the way to go. I do pose two questions for you though. Have you used a wheeled machine with your Arctic sectional? Have you used your tracked machine with a regular snow pusher (say a protech as a example) .

17. Ne1

Ne1 Senior Member

Tires all the way. A track machine might push better in heavy snow but there SLOW.

18. Greenmtboy

Greenmtboy Senior Member
    from Vermont

X2 on the tires and a track machine will cost more to operate!

19. snocrete

snocrete Banned

I believe it. You would be amazed at how well ASV/Terex track machines work for snow operations "With A Good Operator" ;). But are some of the more expensive to operate.

Maybe you didnt have the correct machine(ag tractor) for the jobs your trying to accomplish?:rolleyes: (I am not impressed with skid steer blowers btw)

I dont want to sound like an a-hole, but if your 7500+/- machine couldnt push an 8fter theres some wrong with the operator or the tires are bald. We push more snow than that with smaller machines all the time.

tire or track machine, dosent matter....the arctics float independently from the machine(as do some other brands, in their own way/design). keeping the machine AND pusher in contact with the ground is the key to max performance. I am a firm believer in dedicated snow tracks/tires for skids, and pushers that have an independent floating design. I have ran machines with stock tires or tracks that barely handle an 8fter.....after equipping w/ dedicated rubber, the same machine can run a 10fter for the season.

There are few models of track machines on the market that go 10.5 - 12.5mph - Cat, Terex, Bobcat, ?...

I agree. But when it comes to making piles or pushing snow back off of the pavement, track machines are amazing.

20. mach6353

mach6353 Junior Member
    from iowa

Leased a 14' sectional two years ago and had it on ASV ,straight pushes it never lost traction but did work it pretty hard,injector pump went out ,threw pusher on our 5640 and it handled it fairly well . Have pushed with a home maid 10' pusher on ASV and wheeled machine no problem with either machine .Operator will make or break you when using regular pusher ,to much down pressure on pusher and you cant push a wheelbarrow full of snow. 2000 hr on machine now and really no major maintenance issues ,but up front cost 20-30K more than comparable wheel machine.