1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

skid steer tires

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment' started by Jay brown, Nov 25, 2007.

1. Jay brown

Jay brown PlowSite.com Addict

i did the search and couldn't find much.......i need more snow traction. i took off the factory 12x16.5 lug dirt tires and put on some 16.5x 9 bias ply pickup tires. these things are about 2-3" less tall and i don't think they are going to hold up.... any suggestion for some good RADIAL traction tires. PS are Snow Wolf radial??
  2. hotsprings77

hotsprings77 Member

we are running retread skid steer tires on our 252 cat this winter. We siped every tread 4 times. They look like a turf tire for a mower. about 150 a tire. mark
  3. Jay brown

Jay brown PlowSite.com Addict

good idea hotsprings
  4. jkrak

jkrak Junior Member
    from midwest

Skid steer traction

Jay your problem is your tires are still too wide. Thinner and taller with an aggressive tread is the only way in the snow. I have a New Holland Ls185B. You can get a set of 16 X 5.5 8 hole 4.15" heavy duty rims, I got mine through Solideal USA. They actually are tow motor rims, so I'm not sure if you can get them elsewhere. Then you can get a set of 7.50 X 16 Multi Mile traction BIAS ply, 10 ply,tires with tubes and liners. Whew! Anyway 1200 bones L8r and I'm gripping like my Chevy 2500! :yow!:
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2008
  5. brandinswisher

brandinswisher Junior Member

I use wolf paw tires on all my skid steers, they are narrow like a tractor tire and it's a night and day experience. They cost about $1700.00 for the set with rims. I bought one set and couldn't live without them so I bought 3 more sets so all my machines have them. Also doesn't wear down your summer tires.
  6. A Man

A Man Senior Member

hotsrings77, I just picked up a set of these, http://www.solidealusa.com/products.asp?gid=2.2.8&dpid=2.2 So far they seem to be working really well, only 2 pushes so far but they push my 8611 right down the middle of a 2' tall windrow. I use my machine mostly on gravel and pavement in the summer so if they don't work out for snow i'm not worried. I was just wondering if you siped your tires yourself or you had someone do it. If you did do it yourself what did you use?
  7. xtreem3d

xtreem3d PlowSite.com Addict

where did you purchase the wolf paws?
  8. powerjoke

powerjoke PlowSite.com Addict

we have always bought the machines and never altered the tires but this last machine i ordered with michelen radial XD they are a demolition tire and they are amazing in the snow and dirt but they lack a little in the mud they cost like $400 per tire more than the regular tire......i ain't saying they are worth it but they are definatly a better tire

hope this helps jay

p.s. and they are 12" wide too.
  9. stoneexc2

stoneexc2 Member

we ran green diamond retreads with carbides in the rubber and ran about 450 for the set shipped look under high tech retread
  10. bike5200

bike5200 Senior Member
    from Ky

What size tire did you use and what about rims? :drinkup::drinkup:
  11. MountainBill

MountainBill Junior Member

FYI -- For our Bobcat S150 we went with the STA Super Traxion light truck tire in a 10 x 16.5 8-ply size (#LB4D5) www.stausaonline.com/light-truck/super-traxion.html. It has a tread pattern almost identical to the Snow Wolf "Wolf Paw" skidsteer snow tire -- but it's a 10" tire, not 7" wide. These 4 Bobcat snow tires cost us just under $600 from a local retail tire dealer. That's a total cost of under $600 for all 4 snow tires, shipping, and mounting. For ice we'll be putting on heavy duty cable chains -- since we only get iced just a few times a year.
  12. timlb703

timlb703 Junior Member

We used the center tire in the picture this year on a skid steer. The tire is awsome!! I have two identical machines at the same property, one with factory tires and one with these tire and what a differance. The guys that run these machines try to beat each other to job site so they are able to use machine with lugged tires. I would try to stay away from truck tires sidewalls are not strong enough.
  13. rrickerson

rrickerson Junior Member
    from midwest

For gravel use only, I highly recommend chains on the back tires. Certain areas of our 1/2 mile driveway are continually ice covered. With 2-link, v-bar ladder chains installed, my Gehl turns into a plowing machine.