1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Skid steer tires for snow.

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by wcb607a, Dec 21, 2009.

1. wcb607a

wcb607a Junior Member
    from NJ

Bought an A300 with standard construction tires for the snow. The traction was horrible. Just kept spinning and sliding. For you guys that use skid steer for snow removal, what have you found to be the best for traction?

2. rdbpower

rdbpower Junior Member

If you can get a siper (sp?) and cut a ton of grooves in them it works great. They cost 30-40 bucks and will help a ton.

3. G&T LAWN

G&T LAWN Senior Member

I run 3 skids. Have the factor Ag type on 2 and a recap mud type tire on the older one. The recap is wearing like iron but does not get any traction. I think it is there is more tread on the ground compared to the factory tires. I have seen alot of guys run chains on the rear of skidloaders but not have tired it myself. I run loader backhoes and wheelloaders for the bigger stuff. Maybe proper equipment for the job at hand?

4. ajslands

ajslands 2000 Club Member

you could just get tracks and would not have you worrie about slippping and sliding @ all, aND if someone runsover your foot, its only 3 psi of ground pressure so it wont hurt

5. snocrete

snocrete Banned

:confused:........

6. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

:confused::confused::confused:

7. Matson Snow

Matson Snow PlowSite.com Addict

:eek::eek:....WHAT!!!!....:confused:

8. nhpatriot

nhpatriot Senior Member

:nono:
    :(
    :confused:
    :eek:
    I'm with these guys, WTF?

9. rob_cook2001

rob_cook2001 2000 Club Member

Come over and let me make a pass or two over your foot LOL

10. Allor Outdoor

Allor Outdoor Senior Member

Track machines dont work work a d*mn in the snow, for the exact reason you mentioned. The weight of the machine is spread throughout the tracks, therefore not giving it any downward pressure, thus causing it to slip.

Basically the same concept of putting a few bags of sand in the trunk of a car.

The tracks will spin and spin but the machine won't move....good luck!

11. snocrete

snocrete Banned

Oh boy here we go :dizzy:

12. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

:yow!: ...............

13. digit

digit Member

I bought a set of tires and rims for my skid steer that are made for snow I don't remember the name something like wolf paw or wolf track not sure but could find out. It is a narrow tire almost lke a car tire with winter tread and a rim designed for your skid steer. I have used it for 3-4 seasons now and there is no comparison as to if I leave my reg. tires on believe it's because its narrow and also soft only about 35 psi. If you need more info let me know and I will try to get it.

14. jomama45

jomama45 PlowSite.com Addict

Two words to the OP: Steel tracks! :rolleyes:

http://www.plowsite.com/showthread.php?t=92693

15. purpleranger519

purpleranger519 Senior Member
    from Kansas

Totally agree

16. purpleranger519

purpleranger519 Senior Member
    from Kansas

We find rims that will fit the loader and then use a snow/ice tread radial. You'd be amazed at the traction!

17. snocrete

snocrete Banned

Yes, the Snow Wolf Wolf Paws are awsome.............but they dont fit A300 Bobcats. This machine has a unique rim.

:confused:......uh?

Last edited: Dec 23, 2009
  18. snocrete

snocrete Banned

Its funny you guys say this, but yet the people that have run ASV/Cat track machine (which have the lowest psi of all track SS's) know that they are snow pushing animals. I would also like to inform you that my Dad's T320 has lower psi than my T190, but yet it pushes far better....

19. snocrete

snocrete Banned

the problem is finding one that will fit an A300 Bobcat......he may need to modify/cut up some rims in order to make something fit?

20. PDQDL

PDQDL Junior Member

I have an A300

Try the turf / floatation tires from Bobcat, made for that machine. We like them a better than the standard lug treads for snow removal. Since they are wider than standard tires, they have less tendency to dig down to pavement, but they also farm right through deep piles of snow without getting stuck.

Are you trying to plow snow in skid steer mode? Traction and capacity double when you put it in "4-wheel steer".