1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Skid Steer Tire Size ?

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment' started by maximus44, Feb 19, 2008.

1. maximus44

maximus44 Senior Member

Hi all. Have a question that I hope one of you guys can answer.
    I have noticed that on most skid steers,there is quite a bit of space between the tires(front to rear).
    Can u put bigger diameter tires on it to increase road speed?
    What will it effect?
    Thanks in advance, MAXIMUStymusic

2. NICHOLS LANDSCA

NICHOLS LANDSCA PlowSite Veteran

It will affect gear ratio just like putting taller tires on your truck. I have seen skids with what looked like semi drive tires. There might be room between tires but you might be really close to the loader arms and bucket.

3. toyman

toyman Senior Member

It will also change the angle on the bucket or other attachments. Think of how a lifted truck with a plow looks, you can make it work but it won't slide accross the ground it will want to dig.

Toyman

4. TL697

TL697 Senior Member

Yes...

Changing anything other than the tire width will adversely affect the grading angle... Don't do it...

With the boom all the way down, the bucket should lay flat on the ground... no exceptions

And, good luck using pallet forks that won't lay flat...