1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Skid Steer Tire Chains marking up asphalt???

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by hotsprings77, Dec 1, 2003.

1. hotsprings77

hotsprings77 Member

Need some help/imput. I am running chains on my Cat 262 skid steer. No traction without them, so forced to run chains. The chains are tearing up the asphalt, looks like they are only marking the surface and not putting groves in them. Any ways to avoid this problem. any suggestions would be great. The chains are only being run on the back tires. thanks, mark

2. chtucker

chtucker Senior Member

A former CO member runs studded E range snow tires on their skid steer with great success. Being careful not turn to fast because of the softer sidewall they tell me they get great traction without the need for chains

3. PROPJCKEY

PROPJCKEY Senior Member

how about some rubber "slip over" tracks so it is more like a dozer?! They sell like hotcakes around here and they prevent dry pavement "hop" when you turn.
    -Jeff-

4. hotsprings77

hotsprings77 Member

thanks, for the suggestions. My skid steer came with the low profile tires and wheels, so I don't think I can run e rated truck tires. Lets say the asphalt is already scratched from turning with the skid steer, keep in mind this is at a condo complex, where they are in the process of building a few more units as we speak, the surface is already pretty messed up from heavy equipment moving around all day long. What would my responsibility be for the aspalt in the spring time?

5. jiriki87

jiriki87 Member

Hotsprings77,
    You should try taking the 22.5 dubs off and try using some smaller 16's with E rated studded snows. Or just use that money pit of a F-250 to plow those commerical accounts.

HAH

6. hotsprings77

hotsprings77 Member

jerky78,

Do I know you? I heard you got one of those nice v-box sanding units for that nice F-250. You could haved saved money by putting a brand new blizzard plow on that 1999 dodge 2500. duhhhhh:cry:

7. jiriki87

jiriki87 Member

Yup, and it's for sale as well Hiniker 8 foot V-box, I'll sell it for 2,200 dollars and will load it into you truck aswell.