1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Skid steer suggestions

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment' started by maximus44, Oct 15, 2008.

1. maximus44

maximus44 Senior Member

Hi all,
    I have narrowed my choices of skid steers to: CAT272C,S330.
    Any suggestions?
    Also,I was set on buying a Deere for about 18,000 less,but I have a very hard time getting into it.
    Does anyone else have this problem. I'm not closterphobic,but man is this thing tight!
    The guys from cat let me use one for a few days,now I'm hooked on it.
    Love the way you sit in it,get out of it!
    What u guys think about a Bobcat?
  2. snowman79

snowman79 Senior Member
    from MidWest

im not a big fan of BobCat...buddy has a couple and alsways as problems with them..and they are foot petal controls so i hate them even more. We have used CAT before but we are big fans of CASE, has a CASE 430, 1845, and 1840, love them all. The CAT does have one of the most comfortable cabs though, so what i would say is go with CAT or CASE and youll be happy.
  3. DeVries

DeVries PlowSite.com Addict

Every body will say something different. Personally I hate cat because it's clumsy and you can't see out of the back.

I like bobcat, even owned one before. Good machine but like the cat you can't see out of the back and the bucket doesn't snap back like the new holland.

My last two machines have been new holland. They have never given me a problem. Just bought the new style one last fall. It's even better than the old ones. I will almost bet it's also the most comfortable cab to sit in. I'm 6' 6" and it has more room than the others. Pound for pound it will lift more than the rest two. Hopefully I haven't confused you more.

Just my 2 cents
  4. TL697

TL697 Senior Member

CAT... 2 of my last 3 skid loaders were CAT, and now I own an ASV... I'm not a Bobcat fan... I've owned and operated everything under the sun...

My $.02
  5. Bruce'sEx

Bruce'sEx Senior Member

Try both out, get what you like, remember about service and all that.

We run bobcats we always have, love them, great service from our dealer, for the few times we've need it. The've fixed things out of warrenty, that first came up from a code at like 200 hours. And I don't care what anyone says, things break or fail. We love our bobcats, and we looked any everything demo'd alot of machines before we bought our last bobcat. We ended back at what we knew and already loved.

Bobcat offers basically the same as any other machine, Foot pedals, hand controls, pilot controls. All the add ons.

In the end, it comes down to what you like.
  6. maximus44

maximus44 Senior Member

How long have u had BOBCATS,Bruce?
    I liked what I saw ,but am turned off of them because of all the negative stuff I hear about them breaking down soooo often.
    Got a chance to ride around the s330. Very nice too,but the controls were not joystick,and I felt like I had to come off the seat to get it to go forward.
    I see your in T.O,does BOBCAT have 24hr service?
  7. lunatic81

lunatic81 Junior Member

Bobcat all the way. I've had my own business for 8 years, my dad's had his for over 22. We've always had bobcats, nothing else. Great service from our local dealer, great machines. We do concrete tear outs. Alot of driveways, and we don't use a breaker. We like to pick up the whole slab and drop it. Usually breaks up in pieces pretty face. Probably about as hard on them as you can get. The attachments they have are endless. Service department at our local bobcat is top notch. Took the loader in a few months back as the warranty was almost up, they tightend all the chains, refilled the a/c coolant, and about 12 other things all under warranty. Didn't cost a dime, and used their machine for a week!
  8. xtreem3d

xtreem3d PlowSite.com Addict

where are you at in st. louis?
  9. lunatic81

lunatic81 Junior Member

Just west of wentzville. You?
  10. mercer_me

mercer_me PlowSite Fanatic

I like John Deere my self but if I was going to get anything diferent it would be a CAT. I also heard that ASV makes a good machine.
  11. bluerage94

bluerage94 Senior Member

I own Cat's and have always felt that if you want a piece of landscape machinery buy a Bobcat but if you want a piece of construction machinery then buy a Cat.

The Bobcats seem to be lighter machines with less power....
    The Cat's are Heavier with more power....

They both will tear apart a lawn if you drive back and forth, thats why the one Bobcat that I do like is the A300.
  12. xtreem3d

i'm in south county

MIDTOWNPC PlowSite Veteran

I am very happy with my S300. I bought gold package, loaded minus the 2 speed.

I have 1400 hours total so far. I just replaced the original tires. I also have over the tire metal tracks. Other then that I replaced a tilt actuator back at about 1000 hours and an alternator at about 1300 hours. I kept the old actuator and am learning now that the actuator problem may have actually been caused by the battery which going to be replaced this week.

Friend of mine has the exactly same machine, only two speed which I wish I got.
    He had a problem with his turbo however it was then recomended that after working the machine hard that you let it run idle for 5 10 mins to cool down.

I have only used a deere for a day other then different sized bobcats so I cant really comment on cat. I would talk to PowerJoke I think he is a big cat fan I am sure he has a reason.

Are they discounting big right now? Your looking at new? what about used? any great deals. Would you happen to know what mine is worth? S300 with 1400 hours GOLD
  14. maximus44

maximus44 Senior Member

wow,lots of different opinions! Ok,so just to make things more confusing, I worked with a New Holland L190 today. I absolutely loved it!! Very easy to work with,great view of bucket,fast hydraulics,and 10 grand cheaper than Bobcat,Cat.
    When I loded it on my trailer,it looks much bigger than when I hat the Cat272C on there.
    The joysticks are very predictable,and can FEEL your way through the motions.
    Any oppinions on this Machine!!?
  15. magnatrac

magnatrac PlowSite.com Addict

Sounds like you were just sold for the same reasons I like them! I think they are great! I have rented just about every brand . I used to love the deere and that's how I got into a N.H. Went there to look at a used deere ,and 2 N.H's later I'm still a fan. I did spend alot of time last week in a cat 236 build a r/c track.(Here's the thread I started about that job http://www.plowsite.com/showthread.php?t=67775 ) It was he first time I have driven a cat. Pilot controls are nice but I am still old fasioned! It had the worst view of the bucket. The view looking out the back window was the same as a bobcat imo. The cat had lots of pushing power,but the lifting power was weak .It only had 83 hrs. so It was like new ,but it sure did like fuel !!! Wish I had my L175 ! Dollar for dollar you can't go wrong with the N.H.
    Good Luck , Shaun
  16. xtreem3d

yeah the cycle times on the new hollands are great.. if i remember correctly they are the fastest..fwiw..whether its a skid loader or truck you should always allow the engine to idle and cool the turbo...mfg's make kits that allow you to turn your truck off but let it idle for a while to cool down the turbo
  17. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

How many hours do you have in a JD, mercer? Or any of the other brands?

How many hours do you have behind the wheel of a plow truck, mercer?

Have you actually run any of the brands you suggest? Or are you making recommendations based on what you're reading here on PS?

MIDTOWNPC PlowSite Veteran

If is going to be a machine that you keep forever you don't have to really worry but if you might trade it in ever check the resale value of bobcat vs cat vs new holland.
    like whats a machine with 2000 hours go for in each brand. just something to think about also.
  19. maximus44

maximus44 Senior Member

Great advice,Midtown,thanks..
  20. powerjoke

powerjoke PlowSite.com Addict

if it's cab and creature comfort's youre after, you'll buy the CaT....trust me :nod:

why do you need a 3000lb lb machine anyway's?.....that's a big big machine,

what is the app. going to be for this rig?

i have to have radius boom machine's because the verticle lift's will not cut grade as good and as quick, but they are a good "lift&carry" machine

i have had about a half dozen, 246's and will probably buy 2 more next week, as it is time to trade again.

i like the 246's but they are only a 2400lb machine but that's more than enough

the Bobcat A-300 machine is pretty neat it it's concept but sales for damn near $60k :eek: they have been trying to sell me one but i won't buy anything from them as the service dept is haveing major troubles figureing out the toolcat and i am getting impatiant. ( almost 2months straight,... in the shop)

hope this helps ?