1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

skid steer suggestions

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment' started by NEUSWEDE, Jan 16, 2007.

1. NEUSWEDE

NEUSWEDE Senior Member

I am in the market for a skid steer, have done some research and from prior use know what I want but looking for input from others.
    I am going to use it for landscape installs, hardscaping, sweeping parking lots and plowing with 10' pusher box and loading snow and salt into trucks.

I know I want high flow and I think the 2 speed would be great for the plowing and hp in the 70-80hp range. I like the bobcat a300 but the extra moving parts and the price tag has me thinking twice. Also interested in the JD 325 but have mixed reviews on the reliability.

Just looking for opinions.

2. 02DURAMAX

02DURAMAX PlowSite.com Addict

Have you looked at New Holland??....The LS190 is what i use in some of the lots i do...and that skid steer may work for you..:nod:

3. Lawnscape89

Lawnscape89 Senior Member

Ditto...I have a LS180 but I'm not sure about pushing the 10' box plow. I do use an 8' and it does just fine, plus it doesn't hang over the side of my trailer when transporting. 2 speed is a no brainer IMO and a heated cab.:)

4. kysnowman

kysnowman Member

go away from and skid steer that still operates with the yankem sticks. Pilot controls are the only way to go, less fatigue when your in it for long periods of time!

5. 02DURAMAX

I personally like the New Holland && foot controls.....But tomorrow i will be trying a New Cat 252B....will see how that goes.:salute: :salute:

6. kysnowman

kysnowman Member

I own a cat so I'm biased, but I would think bobcat would be good they've been working on there pilot controls for a few years.

7. Doug Montanari

Doug Montanari Member

When I was looking for a skid loader I wanted the hand controls so I was leaning towards the cat from the start. I had a demo on a new holland, mustang, bobcat & a cat. I ended up purchasing a 236B cat and am very happy that i did. I'm in the process of getting a plow for it to use it for snow removal the only thing I didnt do was get the 2 speed and wish I would have. I asked about the Hi-Flow and was told that i really wouldnt need it for my landscaping bus.

8. 02DURAMAX

Here's a pic of the one we just bought 2007 Cat 252B with snow plow only 5.5hours....As of right now i dont like the pilot control too much.....I get on it and want to drive it like the New Holland:dizzy: :dizzy:...but will see how that goes:salute: :salute:

DURAMAX2 083.jpg

DURAMAX2 084.jpg

DURAMAX2 085.jpg

DURAMAX2 101.jpg

DURAMAX2 103.jpg

9. NEUSWEDE

NEUSWEDE Senior Member

If you don't mind me asking what did you pay for that?

also is that a 7' blade?

10. magnatrac

magnatrac PlowSite.com Addict

I agree with 02duramax ,take a look at the new holland. I have rented alot of different brands and really like the low center of gravity and vertical lift that new holland has. I started renting bobcats and they were fine but I do alot of work on dirt bike tracks and the low profile helps alot when your playing on steeper slopes. I went to the new holland dealer to look at a used john deere( the old ones were new holland chassis) and found out I could get a new one cheaper than used. I don't know much about the new deere's but I have had deere rep's tell me that they had alot of problems with the 200 series when they came out. I and going to buy a second loader this spring and it will probably be the L185, same size as the 180 just a bigger motor. I love the maintenance with the n/h ,lift the boom ,pull off the sides and everything is right in front of you. As far as controls go I have hand foot controls and don't mind them at all. The pilot controls are nice if your going to be in it for 10 hours straight, but I didn't like them on rough ground. They were too easy to use and I ended up jerking the controls all over making for an even rougher ride. I doesn't really matter what brand you get as long as it gets the job done it's good in my book!
    magnatrac

11. Triple L

Triple L PlowSite Fanatic
    from Canada

Hay dylan, I would actually suggest getting a Komatsu if you have a dealer in your area. My buddy just bought one and loves it. All hand controls, Left does the driving, Right is the bucket. And man the 815 with 50 horses pushes nice. This last storm we had I pushed 6 passes of heavy ice pellets into a pile and got him to pile it away. He went full speed into it and it slowed down to a crawl but it pushed it real good. 3000 lbs tipping compacity and it only weights about 6000 lbs so it's easy to pull. He bought the skid-steer, 16' 14000 lbs trailer, and the Blizzard 810 powerplow for $50,000. I think he got a deal and a half. But if you put a plow on skid-steer I don't think nothing beats the blizzard. It is real efficient. Well, just a nother idea and something to look into. By the way your salters holding up good so far :)

Picture 138.jpg

12. 02DURAMAX

Sorry, I don't remember :confused: and the paper work is at the shop, But I'll Check for ya and post it tomorrow..:drinkup: :drinkup:

13. cat320

cat320 2000 Club Member

I was looking into the komatsu skids too before i got mine we have a dealer not that far but when i heard the price looked at the specs i felt they were a tad over priced.they are nice machine but they either had less HP or lift capacity or did not have all the features the other had for the less $$.

14. 02DURAMAX

7' 6" and paid $3,500 for it...:nod: :nod:

15. Craftybigdog

Craftybigdog Senior Member

Bobcat!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

16. NEUSWEDE

NEUSWEDE Senior Member

priced S250 and A300 out the other day and seemed kinda expensive. I like the all wheel steer on the A300 but can't justify the price.

How do you like the all wheel steer?

17. Lawnscape89

Lawnscape89 Senior Member

Do you have any pics of your track work? I use mine for the same thing, sometimes. We are trying to design something for a place we ride at. Maybe I can show an aerial shot and you could give me some ideas.

At first, I thought I was the only one that liked New Holland:p I know it doesn't have all the bells and whistles of some of the other machines. I guess that's one of the things I like most: Simplicity; and it does everything I need it too, so, I'm happy.

I was considering the Bobcat as they had the Bobtach and didn't know that New Holland offered it. Once I found out they did, I went with it and got the enclosed cab, too. There's nothing better than changing from a snow bucket to pusher during a storm and never leaving the (heated) cab.:bluebounc

18. magnatrac

Here's a few pics of the last track my brother and I built this past fall. There's a lot more pics on thumpertalk, of this track and some of the other tracks we've built. Maybe theses pics will help with your plans. We have been building and maintaining tracks for about 10 years. This is one of the newest services we are now offering through our company. Post some pics of your land and we will be glad to help. There are alot of things people tend to over look when building a track. Such as soil conditions, drainage, not to mention safe/fun jump designs. These are all things we had to figure out the hard way. The track in the photos was built with 2 skids, it took about 25 hours.( yes you can do anything with skid steers it just takes longer) We usually rent a dozer for the big stuff but with short notice we couldn't get on delivered on time.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 20, 2007
  19. Northland

Northland Senior Member

Those make me miss my KX's... Oh wait...thats right.. I decided my career was more imoprtant that motocross...:jester: Besides....its not IT its WHEN you get a major injury... I just finally quit racing MX last year. My full time employer decided they didnt want to give any more light duty time to people like me injuring themselves doing extracuricllar activities...

20. magnatrac

Yeah bowling or golf would probably be safer, but not as much fun! I know what you mean about getting injured.I have been messed up good, four days in the neuro icu and brain surgery. I gave up racing,but love riding so that is why I have my personal tracks. Nothing like having a 16 year old with nothing to lose taking you out on the race track. I am using my racing experiance to design/build fun safe tracks. If you look at all of the jumps you can come up way short. As long as you ride in you ability and take it easy it's a pretty safe sport. I only posted the pics to show the track work, and what skid loaders are capable of. This track was built with a new holland ls 160 with mclaren rubber ProTrac's, and a bobcat S185 with loegering versa tracks. If you plan on digging in the dirt the tracks really speed things up.