1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Skid steer snow blower

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by NAC, Dec 16, 2003.

1. NAC

NAC Senior Member

:dizzy: I was at my John Deere dealer yesterday to pick up my new JD 250 Skid steer when I noticed that they have a 72" snow blower attachment in their rental fleet. Has any body ever used one before? How was it? Any down side to a snow blower attachment? Would applicate any info I can get. My salesman said that he would give it to ma as a demo for the next snow event.
  2. accipiter12

accipiter12 Senior Member

I don't know anything compared to these guys but I would "think" that they would be good for places with large amounts of snow (like you couldn't get there to plow so there's so much you need to snowblow) and I've always thought that snowblowing someone's driveway would be good because it looks much neater when done and you don't have piles of snow off to the side. Just what I think.

3. JasonJ

JasonJ Member

Our city uses a Bobcat with a snow thrower attachment to do the walking paths. I have seen it in action, it works very well.
  4. noclevername

noclevername Member

I've got a 60" "INLAND" hydraulic snowblower mounted on our Case 1840 skid-steer. It works very well, we use it a lot to clean windrows on the sides of some of our driveways when we can't "wing" the snow back any further and it starts to encroach on the driveway, as well as big snowfalls.
    I just have the standard aux. hydraulics and in really heavy (2 ft. + deep and the full 5' width) sometimes I'll have to slow down a bit, so the optional hy-flow aux. hydraulics would be nice to have.
    There really aren't any "downsides" to the blowers, with the quick attach you can switch from blower to blade to bucket very quickly which makes the skid-steer one of the most versatile pieces of equipment we own.
  5. Natesnomow

Natesnomow Junior Member

We have a snow blower for our Case skid steer. We don't ever used it. I have never used it either. I was told that is clogs up a lot and is mostly good for a lot of snow. We have an angle plow for it right now. It does a good job.

6. noclevername

noclevername Member

I don't think I've ever had my blower clog up where I couldn't just reverse the hydraulics and it cleans itself right out.
    The nice thing about a blower is that it doesn't leave piles, I can clean a 12" snowfall and disperse the snow over a wide area with virtually no piles, if I do the same snowfall with the blade I'll have 3 to 4 foot piles all over the place
  7. Natesnomow

Natesnomow Junior Member

Where I live it is not always common for 12" at once. I live around central Indiana. That is usually quite a bit for us.