1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

skid steer rates?

Discussion in 'Bidding & Estimating' started by thomlynn05, Sep 3, 2012.

1. thomlynn05

thomlynn05 Junior Member

what is the going rate for a 50hp skid with a 8 foot pusher? Rhode Island area
  2. Mick76

Mick76 2000 Club Member
    from Maine

$25 per hour
  3. thomlynn05

thomlynn05 Junior Member

you must have a ton of business with rates like that!
  4. peteo1

peteo1 PlowSite.com Addict

Lowballer!!!! I charge $30/hr!
  5. snocrete

snocrete Banned

Rates vary. What works for you may not work for a guy in another area/situation. I've seen hourly rates from $45/hr - $100+/hr for skids. And I doubt guys in your area, or any for that fact, are just gonna come out and tell you what they charge.

Do some searches/reading here........this question (and similar) have been asked more times than you could imagine. Good luck.
  6. thomlynn05

thomlynn05 Junior Member

yea I have an idea of what to charge just wanted to make sure i was in the ball park. i wasn't looking for anyones secret recipe.......lol
  7. magnum1

magnum1 Senior Member
    from ID & ND

Depends on several factors: Type of project parking lots to driveways to gas stations to ??
    Location and priority
    Quick pay or slow pay
    From $65.00 to $110.00
  8. snocrete

snocrete Banned

And what would that be?
  9. exclusive

exclusive Member

done by me in nj your looking anywhere from 100 -180 if its moving snow
  10. snocrete

snocrete Banned

Its funny how people post this question to others....but dont answer it themselves.:rolleyes:
  11. Mick76

Mick76 2000 Club Member
    from Maine

Hence the reason for my post... :rolleyes:
  12. Ramairfreak98ss

Ramairfreak98ss PlowSite.com Addict

lol, we're probably not signing 2 contracts this year because the rates for a skid loader are set to $80 per hour... i mean if i owned a 1996 bobcat with a $200 10 year old beat box, maybe thats fine, but our 50k Deeres are not sitting at a lot for 4 months out of the year almost to hope for $80/hr billing with a big snow storm, we have 2hr minimums and im not transporting there for $160

I've had contracts signed anywhere from a LOW of $165~ area per hour to $225~ per hour... yet ive seen contracts like this

dump truck $85/hr
    "we pay subs $100"+hr just to plow and all with their own trucks lol
    truck and 8ft plow $80-90/hr.. again, losing $10-15/hr then
    2 yard loader $125
    3 yard loader $135
    4-5 yard loader $160... like really, 160 an hour for a nearly 200k massive machine that would cost you $600 to truck in for delivery to the site at the start of the season, OK buddy.

just stupid low rates sometimes. Know your costs and machine costs for rental or your monthly payment, most times skid steers are $1000-1500 a month alone, not including the box, fuel, insurance policy to cover it, operator wages, any damages come straight from your pocket, or insurance if worth it.

We were loaned "for free" from our Deere dealer a 1yr old skid steer, one of our guys was operating it and the safety red metal shield brace pin came out somehow, and when he went to lower the bucket/boom, it pinched it causing a slight bend/dent in it. Yeah, $700~ later, the part is replaced at the dealer after we took it back. I didnt even notice it myself until i compared photographs when we picked it up and the return 3 weeks later.

I wouldnt operate $50k machines and boxes for less than $150/hr anywhere and any machines that are 100-150k like front end loaders have to be a bare minimum of $200/hr
  13. Ramairfreak98ss

Ramairfreak98ss PlowSite.com Addict

well in ND, you guys generally get massive amounts of snow and frequently... so your logging a couple hundred hours in snow work on a machine per year. We put 30hrs on our 09 Deere tractor in 08/2009, and i believe about 100hrs from 2009/2010 "the two NJ blizzards that february", but thats about as high as it would ever be. Rarely are we billing any machines hourly for stacking, removing, relocating or loading to truck away.. i mean that happens once or twice every couple years usually at best. If a rental front end loader is say 3k a month, you need to bill 9-12k for 3-4 months just to cut evne.

If i assumed we'd bill 500hrs on the machine for $65 an hour, thats not too terrible then!
  14. fatheadon1

fatheadon1 Senior Member

i try and get a retainer for skidsteers an loaders for the skidsteers its a 5000 for the machine to sit on site for the season then 125 an hour during the storms. With no retainer we bill 175-200 an hour
  15. Mackman

Mackman PlowSite.com Addict
    from S.E. PA

in south east PA i wouldnt even think about running a skid for less then 100/hr.
  16. Brant'sLawnCare

Brant'sLawnCare PlowSite.com Addict

I think they must go for about $75/hr here. I haven't quite figured it out yet though.
  17. magnum1

magnum1 Senior Member
    from ID & ND

It would be great to receive 200.00 per hr for a skid. Reality dictates fee's in most of the country to an average of 115.00 to 150.00 per hr + or -. Rates are relative and dictated by your competition.
    If a company wants to stay competitive and in buis. they unfortunately have to adjust rates accordingly for the their service area.

IDOCTORTREES Senior Member
    from MONTANA

RIght on target :salute::salute::salute:
  19. PhilFromErie

PhilFromErie Senior Member

At 225 an hour my skid would never leave the shop. The reality of it is you have to find out what the other guys around you are charging and your gonna have to charge around the same thing if you want to get any work, and if your the new guy its probably going to have to be less.

In Erie its abut 55-65 per hour, although I have heard people running them as as low as 35
  20. RLM

RLM PlowSite.com Addict

What Phil said is correct, for anything in any market. You can base pricing off "your numbers " all you want, but if your not priced "market comparative" your not going to get the work. My feeling is you need to know your markets numbers then work from there to see if you can work within those numbers. As to those who say "there is no dusting hong between a 1996 with a 200 box plow & a brand new 50k machine...." Your right, thats how you make the numbers work, we can't have all the latest & greatest, and have clients that hire us based solely on price, look at the contractors in your area working on "low bid work". At least here one of two thing happen or some combination either their equipment is older or they cut corners. As my friend jokes about at the school district he works for "low bid is always best job....right ?", because everything is done half a$$ed.
    There is also a FEMA book that shows rates the government pays for emergency, if you google it you should find it, rates are low though.
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2012