1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Skid steer pusher

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by site, Oct 8, 2002.

1. site

site Member

We bought a new Bobcat 873 this summer and now we're thinking about winter. What would be the biggest pusher We could mount on there and still be productive? I'm imagining at some point you break traction, but when? Secondly, I'm guessing medium sized flat parking lots with some islands would be the perfect spot for this rig. Am I right?

JD PLOWER PlowSite.com Veteran

Site from what I have been told here and other websites a 10' should be fine for that size machine. Chuck Smith mentioned that he has seen a 873 push a 10'. We recently purchased a 953 and from the looks of the literature a 12' pusher is acceptable on that machine but we will be using a 10' for transport reasons. Btw what brand pusher are you considering?
    Having only watched other contractors use pusher boxes, (loaders and backhoes) the limiting factor is traction, but also what has to be considered is how long a run your making and is the snow the light fluffy snow or is it wet like cement?
  3. Jerre Heyer

Jerre Heyer Senior Member

Have done installs of 12' Protec units on you loader most guys had to dump them because of the traction issue. We get some wet snow here and that was the problem. 10' seems to do the better all around job but in heavy or deep snow they have to back off on the bite they take because even with spill off they can get too much snow in front to push. Transport wise some are just running 8' boxes or blades with bold on sides so they can run the whole rig on a trailer and have the bucket with them to load.

Don't know your budget or what you use the unit for in the summer but you may want to consider another way to go.

BLIZZARD snow plows makes an 810 expandable blade that can go on a skid steer. The wings extend out and pitch forward for a scoop position to carry snow but you can use the blade as an angle blade too.

Works great for stacking snow and clean and carry.

They also have and 8611 that goes from 8'6" to 11'3''. I haven't put an 8611 on a skidder yet but I think the weight rating would be ok for your size skidder.

Both units can be used for gravel or dirt blades in the summer making them year round users.

Good luck Jerre
  4. site

site Member

The pusher would be custom fabricated by some welders in Charlestown NH (across the state). Supposedly these guys build the same quality as the name brands, only cheaper. I am concerned about breaking traction. What could I do to minimize it? I won't do chains because they do too much pavement damage. How about really narrow tires? Are there skinnier tires which would fit my rims? I don't need to be superman here, but I do want to maximize productivity.
  5. John Allin

John Allin PlowSite.com Addict

Jerre is correct in his assessment..... pusher and blizzard.

Tough not to break traction is deep snow. Operator needs to be trained and get experience. That is what we've found.
  6. Chuck Smith

Chuck Smith 2000 Club Member
    from NJ

The hardest habit to break is using down pressure. Nothing worse than seeing a pusher on a skid steer going across a lot with the front wheels in the air....

Skinny tires are not the answer. In fact, tires that are almost worn out work better. There was another thread a while back about tires for tractors that plow. The concensus was that skinny, or "mud" tires did not work well. Tires without chains worked better than tires with chains. Turf tires were the best performer.

The problem the tractors had was breaking traction due to a lack of weight. The skid steer (Bobcat 873 for instance) has a much shorter wheel base, and weighs A LOT more than most small to mid size tractors.

7. plowed

plowed Senior Member

Chuck, have you ever seen or used an ASV in the snow? I have the model 2810 and the things goes anywhere and does anything I want. I just haven't had the opportunity in the last couple of years to use it in the snow. I'm considering a pusher box for it, as our business continues to grow. With the tracks, I get better ground pressure and stability than traditional wheel types. Anyone have or use an ASV for winter fun?

8. Jerre Heyer

Jerre Heyer Senior Member

Great observation made on the tires. You'd think that guys would be smart enough to apply the turf tire idea to truck tires. Those big Knobby tires are great for going throught the snow and mud but they forget that's with the plow up.

When the plow's down and doing the job you get payed for the ground or pavement is scraped clean or close to it. This is where the traction needs to be found.