1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Skid Steer Purchase

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by SnowMatic, Sep 21, 2014.

1. SnowMatic

SnowMatic Member
    from USA

Hi all,
    First post, hope I put it in the right forum.

Looking for some help and feedback.

Looking at purchasing a skid steer for snow removal.
    Im at a loss as to what size skid and what size pusher I should team up with the skid based upon its size.
    I dont want to get a skid bigger than what I need but dont want to get one underpowered for its use either.
    We did rent a BC-S220 last year for a short time when our plow truck was in the garage last winter and with all the snow we had it seemed to do the job. However it was all we could find to rent so its not like we really had a choice in what we could get.

As far as brand, probably Bobcat, Cat, New Holland or Case. Not necessarily in that order. We are leaning towards the BC's or the Cats.

2. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

The size of the pusher will depends on the size of the skid
    Every place I seen they say 70hp+ 10ft -12ft pusher Under 70Hp 8ft

And it depends what you going use it for Short runs or long runs

My Gehl is 68Hp I use mine on small lots and Condo Complex So I went with a 7.5 plow with adjustable wings
    The small plow helps get between park cars at the complex With my plow I can windrow at 10ft wide

If you haven't bought a skid make sure its 2 speed My Gehl is fast 14mph I don't haul it around I drive it to each job but its route is tight so not much road time
  3. snocrete

snocrete Banned

Some other factors that effect how much the skid can push, are pusher design & tires/tracks. This is a discussion that has been covered NUMEROUS times. Do some searches, then come back with more specific questions....you'll get better results on what/which direction you should/can go.
  4. snocrete

snocrete Banned

really? 14mph?
  5. Defcon 5

Defcon 5 PlowSite.com Addict

6. SnowMatic

SnowMatic Member
    from USA

My longest run will be about 400 ft
    Im thinking of either going with a 8ft or 10ft pusher. Maybe something that articulates

The drive is about 85-90% stone and 10-15% blacktop. Would like to scrape the blacktop clean. The stone drive Id like to leave as much stone where its at and less in the yard come spring.
    Blacktop area is open lot "L' shaped.
    Stone area is basically 30 to 35 ft drives around bldgs and between bldgs and I need to get up close to the bldgs. Some areas I can only push the snow out one end or the other.
    Ive been using a truck with a 8.5 V blade and spend alot of time backing up, driving around, or jockeying the truck around to run the drivers side up close to the bldgs at which point im left with a row of snow between bldgs that has to pushed out one end or the other.

As far as the skid.
    Yes diffently 2 speed
    No foot controls
    Wheeled for speed
    Being Im used to using a blade im guessing i might need a blade to run up against the bldgs on angle to clear the snow away, then use the pusher to push it out??
    HLA Snowwing looks like it would fit the purpose but they are salty arent they...

Doesnt the weight of the machine not just the hp have somthing to do with this also.
  7. CowboysLC_DE

CowboysLC_DE Senior Member

Less guys are going to bid on it since it is a mixture of blacktop and gravel. As far as I know there isn't a pusher that articulates. Sounds like you want a pusher and plow combo like a Kage.

8. Antlerart06

My skid is 68hp 7k weight The next size up is a 74HP and 8500 more horses you have more weight you will get
    Snowwing would be a good plow to have Don't have worry about removing the wings like on the Kage

On gravel with my Trip edge plow Pro-tech if you lower the Aframe Pitch the plow back You can plow on gravel with out digging in
  9. Antlerart06

Yes Rated at 13 on my GPS was showing 14 mph but to run it The hydro glide has to be turned on If not on its a rough ride
  10. snocrete

snocrete Banned

For the most part skids have plenty of HP....its the WEIGHT, TIRES, and an ATTACHMENT THAT FLOATS INDEPENDANTLY from the machine (when needed) that make the difference.

I highly recommend having an attachment that has movement built in separate from the machine...preferably float/ tilt / oscillation(not just 1 of these).

Kage setup sounds like a good fit for you(btw, Kage does offer an attachment plate that allows more than just "oscillation")....But I bet a pusher would work just fine, with less cost & moving parts..?..Boss makes a very reasonably priced pusher with movement built into the design, and steel trip edge.

Before I recommend a size machine/pusher, what size lot is it?(acres)....and fwiw, when properly setup & operated, 56-66hp/6000-7000lb machines can handle a 10ft pusher quite well.
  11. snocrete

snocrete Banned

oh, and make damn sure you keep the front tires on the ground :laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing:

hi greg
  12. SnowMatic

SnowMatic Member
    from USA

Acres..????...Good question..at the end of the day it feels like a 50 but its not.
    I guess I would need to do some calculating to figure that one out.
    The L shaped lot is open, has two entrances.
    The rest is just driveway 30 to 35 ft widths
    I do know that on an avg snow fall (not last winter) id put about 27-30 miles on the truck just doing a 6 to 7 hour plow.
    Does that help any or not really??

I talked to Bobcat and Cat sales guys
    Bobcat suggested S590 Cat suggested 242D
    Bobcat I forgot to ask about the pusher but Cat guy said he thought 10ft would be pushing my luck with the 242. But I think Cat has anti-stall system so maybe this has something to do with it where I dont think the bobcat has a anti-stall feature. Could be wrong?
  13. Antlerart06

10ft plow would be easy on that skid VS a 10ft pusher A plow you start to spin out you can windrow the snow out A pusher will just spin out and have back up and take half your load

Even my 7.5 plow in box mode There was times with wet snow it spun out under a load

If you doing drives more then lots A 8ft plow with wings would get you by

With a plow you will be able turn the skid with a load easier then a pusher

You can angle the plow in the direction you are turning

When I do drives that has a public sidewalk I'll push in and push to sides of the drives
    I have a friend that runs a skid and When I ask him about what to buy He said don't buy a pusher for drives
    He had a 8ft pusher Now he has a 8ft SnowWolf with wings He runs a S300 Bobcat

If you do stacking a plow will be better You will have more reach Even if you push out in grass. You can push it back farther with out the skid tires getting in grass. My cutting edge is 3ft from my tires For stacking the 3ft extra reach is a plus

Blizzard offers a 810 power wing plow for a skid http://www.blizzardplows.com/bd/showroom/skid-steer
  14. WIPensFan

WIPensFan PlowSite Veteran

I totally agree with this...I mean...why wouldn't you have all four tires on the ground??:whistling:
  15. rob_cook2001

rob_cook2001 2000 Club Member

I have had a few operators that must have thought it was better to have only two on the ground!!!! Lol
  16. snocrete

snocrete Banned

Ya, your wrong...they do. And fwiw, we run a 2spd S590 that's equipped with snow tires & it pushes a 10ft pusher on a several acre semi lot easily.

Sounds like a job a well operated/equiped S590 will do in half the time your truck does.....and better.

17. SnowMatic

SnowMatic Member
    from USA

Yes I can see that at some point the skid is going to have more than what it can handle but I find that also true with my plow truck. Having a plow truck with a V-Blade I understand the windrowing and letting snow trail off the side for so that you can keep momentum. But im not sure I understand why your friend says a pusher wont work for a drive?

For my drives im basically plowing snow in one direction most the time and constantly backing up. So I guess whether I had a box or blade im still going to be farther ahead as I can push coming or going unlike the truck. Unfortunately I have several areas where im between bldgs and the only way to push the snow out is out either end. I would think (correct me if im wrong) that a pusher would be more productive in these areas than a blade whether straight or Vee.

I did some figuring and im around 3.5 acres thats both the lot and the drives.

. They both have anti-stall?
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2014
  18. snocrete

snocrete Banned

From what your describing(lot), a pusher will be better for "carrying" snow.

With proper technique, a skid with pusher will get snow away from buildings just fine.

Sounds like a S590 or S630 size machine with 10ft pusher would work well..?.. I know I mentioned tires making a big difference, but just for example, a S590 w/ snow tires will out push a S630 w/ reg lugs...just sayin.
  19. Antlerart06

Your not catching on
    My plow can angle and my plow is a pusher to
    My plow or a Kage plow is way more productive Move snow like a pusher And windrow like a plow

Here is what my plow looks like Its a Pro-tech 7'.6'' Box They make a 9ft model to I thought 9ft model would be to wide for areas between car at the complex's I do

http://protechcorp.com/Products/SnoAttachments/SnoBlade.aspx 'My sides isn't has big as Kage sides

But if you have the $$ I would buy a Kage or something like it
    I went with a Pro-tech for the reason my sides always stay on and was half the price then a Kage I wasn't sure how much I would use the skid but after one time using it I knew it was going get used a lot and it did

20. SnowMatic

SnowMatic Member
    from USA

ok im gettin ya now.
    Snowwolf has Fasttach, and the Kage like you said are somewhat comparable. Plow/Pusher combo

Next question..
    I know a skid would be quicker because of the turning capabilities vs a truck.

But in regards to a skid that weighs in at around (6593#s Bobcat S590 and 6980#s Cat 242D) and its HP at 66 BC and 74 Cat.
    Not sure of the torque of the bobcat but Cat says they have 195lbs of torque at 1500rpm.
    Vs my plow truck
    5.9L 360 V8
    245 Hp
    335 Torque
    and weighs in around 6700 lbs i think + weight of plow around 800 = 7500lbs give or take.

The truck has more HP, more Torque, and weighs in somewhat comparable. and can plow faster than 12 mph if needed.
    So how does a skid out plow the truck?