1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Skid steer production

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Brian Young, Sep 2, 2010.

1. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

This will be our first year using our LX665 Turbo for plowing. We took it to Baltimore to move snow but never really plowed with it. We did get new tires (and chains if need be) and I'll be using a 8ft Artic Sectional to plow with. I think it weighs aprox. 6000lbs and is 54hp. How well will it move long runs of snow. What do you think.
  2. WIPensFan

WIPensFan PlowSite Veteran

I think on light snows you're golden. On a heavy snow, I'd be worried.
  3. forestfireguy

forestfireguy PlowSite.com Addict

Whats a long run??? I'd say you're looking at a situation like a tractor, you'll probably run out of weight before power.
  4. plowatnight

plowatnight Senior Member
    from Mn

I have a friend here where I live pushing w/ an expandable to about 13' and w/ years of experience. In winter of '08 he went w/ winter tires (Snow wolf ) I think, and he absolutely SWEARS by that decision. No more chains w/ all that hassel. That skid really gets the job done
  5. Brian Young

A "long run" is probably 75 yards long. As far as weight goes, what if I started drinking a lot of Labatt's and eating more pizza and wings?
  6. Brian Young

The skid was originally going to just cut out curbs and obstacles and pile up for the loader but then I got thinking by using the Artic Sectional I might be able to plow more with it.
  7. bullettooth81

bullettooth81 Senior Member

Now you're thinking! Pizza and wings! I like it.
  8. Brian Young

But I might not be able to fit into the skid steer after, I barley fit now,lol
  9. bullettooth81

bullettooth81 Senior Member

Ah, that is an issue. Some of them can get pretty tight!

Back when I was an engineer at Bobcat we couldn't believe how tight the 463 and 553 models were in the cabs. We sold a ton of them to Asia, and had to put pedal extensions in most of them.
  10. Brian Young

LOL, nice. There is a ton of room in mine surprisingly for a smaller skid steer. I just though by using the Artic I might get more traction and be able to plow a bit more.
  11. Premier

Premier Senior Member

I think you will do alright, if it gets too deep or heavy just take a little less.
  12. buckwheat_la

buckwheat_la 2000 Club Member

i think you are pushing the limits of that machine, i am not familiar with the newhollands, but my 40xt is a 56hp machine, and with a 8 foot push it struggles. definetly upgrade the tires.
  13. snocrete

snocrete Banned

i would reccomend snow tires (wolf paws). We have ran them on machines where it made the difference between being able to go from running an 8fter to running a 10fter. You will pick up a little extra top speed with that machine also, by installing them.
  14. Mick76

Mick76 2000 Club Member
    from Maine

It will depend on the snow type.. light to moderate water contant you'll do ok but the really wet stuff is another story...... But you'll LOVE plowing with them!..... If I could I'd get rid of my trucks and have just skids (if everything was a perfect world and my accounts were right next door to each other)