1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Skid steer production question

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Brian Young, Oct 23, 2015.

1. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

I've been doing this for a long time and we've owned our skid steer for a while but never used it to plow with, just stacking/loading. It's a NH LX665 turbo single speed. We picked up a lot that's right around 4.5 acres total, all wide open and flat. Looking to put a 8.6 blade on it and would spend the money on a set of snows for it, just wondering if anyone would know roughly the time it might take to plow off that much area. I realize it's going to be a slow go but the skid is paid for.

2. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Why not a pusher?

3. Brian Young

I want a blade because all of this can be wind rowed. Plus not know this skid steers capability a box might bog it down in heavier snow.

4. dieselss

I'll be honest, we have an 8' on a single speed, and I believe 2 10's on other single speeds. Good tires and good operators.
    Just think that a plow on a skid in a wide open parking lot would take more time then a truck.

5. Brian Young

Oh there's no doubt it will take a lot longer, just don't want to buy another truck if I don't have to (last year in a multi year contract and I don't think the maintenance company we sub for is getting these back). On the flip side, can't have the lot take 5-6 hours either.

6. dieselss

Understand, i would maybe look towards a 10' then. IMO 8"6 is a tad small.

7. FredG

FredG 2000 Club Member

Anything will bog down with a long enough run. A boss V plow would be nice but costly. Being your first year in the snow with the skider I would think your best bet would be 8 10ft snow pusher. I'm not familiar with the new hollands capabilities.

When I was doing long runs with my skider if it would start to bog I would pull out into a plowed area and take it were it had to go. If you don't have that far to go while bogging you can back up and ram the pile may get you there or take half the pile. Don't worry it will work for you.

8. FredG

FredG 2000 Club Member

I agree with a blade on the skid steer a truck will out perform it. I don't believe it will with a pusher on it. Forget the truck the skid is paid for, A small investment you can buy a pusher. You want the skid on sight for stacking etc.

9. Brian Young

Well I did some measuring and I meant to type 3-3.5 acres not 4-4.5. By my calculations it should take roughly 3-3.5 hours with the skid steer by itself if we needed to but there will be one of our trucks there too for at least an hour or so. I've talked to a few other people just to get as many opinions as I can and it was a split,lol -2 said it should work ok if we don't let it get 4-6" and the others said don't waste your time :dizzy: Still debating.

10. brianbrich1

brianbrich1 PlowSite.com Addict

Have a 10' sectional on a lx665 that worked with the storm. Will be just fine on short runs.

11. Brian Young

Are you running snow tires or regular skid steer type. This would be making roughly 150-200ft passes, windrowing snow....what do ya think.

12. brianbrich1

brianbrich1 PlowSite.com Addict

Running retreads and approximately 400lbs of extra weight. Average push about 100-150

13. Brian Young

good info thank you