1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Skid Steer Plow

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment' started by Greenery, Nov 11, 2010.

1. Greenery

Greenery 2000 Club Member

Hey guys, I,m converting an old truck plow to use with my skid steer.
    My question is what is the ideal setup? My ideas are to mount it rigid to the plate so I would have to use the lift arm float function for grade changes, or my second idea is to have an arm come out from the top of the plate and float it with a chain along with a short arm coming down from the upper arm so I would be able to tilt forward and make contact between the short arm and the plow to achieve down pressure. The first method would be much easier for me to rig up but if having the chain float is much better I would go that route. It's going to be used for HOA's so being able to backdrag good is a must.
    Any suggestions?

2. cold_and_tired

cold_and_tired PlowSite.com Addict

I'm running one for the first time this year. I built it like the second one you describe. I think a chain lift is a must.

3. 4700dan

4700dan Senior Member
    from Ohio

never never never put a bar in for down pressure all you need is a chain good to go, if you need down pressure then just add weight to the plow

4. Greenery

Why do you suggest not using down pressure?

5. LoneCowboy

LoneCowboy PlowSite.com Addict

Use the search Luke!!!!

http://www.plowsite.com/showthread.php?t=107124

I'm sure there are many more.

You need a bypass valve between the side to side hydraulics

stock from the factory SS plows mount directly to the frame and do not have a chain.
    they also mount much closer than a truck.

the curtis website has a pretty good drawing of what it looks like.

6. Greenery

No offense but that thread does not address in any way what my question was. But thanks for the info on how the factory
    version is setup. Also who's Luke

Last edited: Nov 11, 2010
  7. snocrete

snocrete Banned

2nd description for sure!!

:confused:

8. RLM

RLM PlowSite.com Addict

I have two Bobcat brand plows (old style), ridgid mount to coupler. My suggestion would be to ridgid mount to a piece of steel then bolt on a pivot pin to the coupler plate to allow side to side float. Check out snow wolf plows or the newer Bobcat ones, if I lost you. The problem with plows on skids is that there is no suspension, when new & plowing with blade angled it can make steering difficult, the occiltion will correct it. Bobcat even mounts there brand pushers this way.

9. jomama45

jomama45 PlowSite.com Addict

Option #2 is certainly the way to go IMO and past experience. An "old" plow that wasn't designed to have DP applied will not last as long with DP period. I know this not by succeeding with DP, but because I've failed with it a few times. For some reason, the less often I use the available DP, the less issues I have with the plows..................

Here's was my solution for two of the plows:

ds00748s.jpg

DS00751s.jpg

ds00748s.jpg

DS00751s.jpg

10. Andrew Hardscape

Andrew Hardscape Junior Member

My fabricator got a little slick! I dont need a float chain! I'll post pics in the next couple weeks

Last edited: Oct 25, 2011
  11. WIPensFan

WIPensFan PlowSite Veteran

If you're backdragging drives in a HOA you better have down pressure. I don't see the need for the chain float. My Snow Wolf plows fine without it and back drags awesome.

12. jomama45

jomama45 PlowSite.com Addict

There's a big difference between an "old truck plow" and a new plow like your's, which was designed specifically for a SS. Regardless of make, having float & ocsillation built in will make the plow last longer, always stays in contact with the pavement, creates less drag/friction on the SS, etc...........

13. RIVERVIEW7

RIVERVIEW7 Member

On the one we did for our skid steer we use an old plow off our old truck. I got a blank mounting plate and on the bottom i weld the piece that the plow was pinned to on the truck, and than i welded an old trailer hitch to the center and a piece of angle iron staight down connectin the two. I use a lift arm to move the plowup and down and the hose were made at the hydrulic shop. It has worked well for the past 3 years