1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Skid Steer Plow / Box vs. Skid Steer SnowBlower

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Briankook, Aug 25, 2014.

1. Briankook

Briankook Member

I am considering using a snow blower on our skid steer as opposed to our plow and Pro-tech box in an effort to save time. Keep in mind this would be for HOA driveways that go right up to the garage doors. I'm just thinking out loud. Has anyone done this? Does the blower save time compared to the plow/boxes?

Thanks in advance.

Brian

2. PLOWTRUCK

PLOWTRUCK Senior Member

Depends on the situation. The apartments we do the front doors are right next to the garage doors so the blower wouldn't work. We use a power broom on our backhoe. Have one of my guys while he is shoveling the small walk shovel one pass in front of the garage door. The you don't have to get real close. Basically back drag the driveway with the power broom. Do 48 driveways in about 30 minutes.

3. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

Is your skid a tire or track

I know few guys tried a blower on a tire skid said it sucks, one of the guys switch a track skid then he said the blower work well. He told me that the tire skid would spin out to much trying push the blower in deep snow

I think a plow is faster well I think my plow on my Skid is faster I have 26 double wide drives on one street I timed my self once I spent the average of 2 mins per dive was about 4-5'' snow I would push in and turn sideways in front of the garage door push to the side and then plow out. I would leave very little of snow in front of the doors most left nothing

4. snowdestroyer

snowdestroyer Junior Member
    from Maine

Snow Blower vs Box Plow

Brian,
    If you're looking to capitalize on your time and you have several HOA contracts, I can tell you that having a box plow equipped with a pull back kit on a tired skid steer is the way to go. Walk behind snow blowers are cleaner and throws the snow but this is a slow process.

Torrey

5. sthoms3355

sthoms3355 Member
    from Detroit

We have three and do over 300 16' driveways with them.

6. Drakeslayer

Drakeslayer 2000 Club Member
    from Carver

Just a hunch but I think he is talking about a skid steer snowblower...

7. Chineau

Chineau Senior Member

I am using a SB 200 snowblower on a Bobcat Toolcat yes it will save time as there is no pile to move from the end of the drive way when you are done. I just got it set up and working last winter for the driveway route and it is what I was looking for.

8. johnnyusa

johnnyusa Member
    from ct

i also do a few smaller hoa's i just bought a john deere 4wd 1420 front mount tractor with a plow on it and am gonna buy a 60 inch snow blower for it but ideally i would like a skid with a hiniker c plow if money is no object

9. johnnyusa

johnnyusa Member
    from ct

sttoms3355 whats better for town home associations the skid with blowers or the trucks with c plows?