1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Skid Steer or Backhoe

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by DCJ inc., Sep 10, 2008.

1. DCJ inc.

DCJ inc. Member

hello fellas. i was wondering what everyone thought. I'm loooking at a comm. job that ill need a piece of equipment. My question is which is better for clearing a large area a skid or a backhoe. i plan on useing a snow pusher on what ever unit i go with so take that into consideration. if you prefer a skid which is better tires or tracks and whay. thanks for the help.

2. salopez

salopez Senior Member

whats large? 3 acres or 30?

does the lot have long runs or short?

can you push in both directions or 1?

3. big pusher

big pusher Senior Member
    from ohio

If the property is a larger one(3 acres or more) I would go w/ a backhoe w/ a 12' box. We have a 416c w/ a box and it does a good job on open spaces. If the propert is smaller than 3 acres or has a lot of obstacles the I would lean towards the skidloader.

4. DCJ inc.

DCJ inc. Member

yea thats what i was thinking. do any of you have any tips on renting cheap. i have a pretty good relationship with the local rental guys but does anyone no a way to get a piece of equipment cheaper then what they rent them for?

5. JohnnyRoyale

JohnnyRoyale 2000 Club Member

Ask for their winter rental rates. Around here I used to egt backhoes for as low as 1700 a month.