1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Skid Steer on tracks W/Plow

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by BOSSMAN21, Nov 23, 2015.

1. BOSSMAN21

BOSSMAN21 Senior Member

Hey guys, Im looking to get into a new skid steer. Of those of you that have them, or have seen them work, how are they? Efficiency, traction, comfort, etc.? I know they say the tired ones get better traction, but the dilemma is I have a firewood business as well during the summer and fall and some of the wood yards we work in get really muddy and I can see the tire skids getting stuck there. Also, Id like to get some sort of V-Plow for it, Ive seen the pusher/plows but I like the efficiency of a V. Thanks for any feedback guys! also if you have any pics of yours working in storms or ideas for lights or setups for them, post them up! thanks - Bossman

2. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Not quite sure about the efficiency part, comfort?

3. Lcmains1

Lcmains1 Member

We run 2 skid with tracks and they do just fin as long as you have good tracks. Rather then the v plow for it take a look the virnig blade/pusher combo. We bought one this year and used it Friday with our first snow... Extremely efficient! It will move a lot of snow!!!!

4. Whiffyspark

Whiffyspark 2000 Club Member
    from SOMD

Just my opinion but I prefer tracks. I always feel more stable especially when lifting snow buckets and stuff. We have a kubota svl on stock tracks and it does fine. The tire skids do have better traction to a point.

5. WIPensFan

WIPensFan PlowSite Veteran

Get a wheeled skid for snow and put steel OTT tracks on it for your firewood work. They work great and won't wear out like the rubber tracks. I think a V-Plow would be the last option for me on a skid steer for snow.

6. superdutypsd

superdutypsd Senior Member

i am in the same boat, i will be buying a new CAT skid this year, I would like to get tracks but i always hear 50/50 on them in snow, some say there horrible, some say there the same and some say there the best. The only thing i do not like about the track machines are they are a little slower but the pros out way the cons for track. so you guys who have track machines are not having trouble in storms with traction. if you had to get a new one again would you get another track or wheel.

7. FredG

FredG 2000 Club Member

X2 I agree

8. snocrete

snocrete Banned

X's 3

9. Jim74

Jim74 Member

Check out Loegering aftermarket tracks for skid steers, pretty impressive set up, I talked to a tree guy that had it and he loved it, tires in the winter for snow and tracks in the summer. Expensive but how much cheaper is a tire machine compared to a track so the cost would cancel out some.
    I watched this poor guy last year try his best in a track bobcat, the lot turned to ice after plowing and they had no sand/salt down yet, this guy just spun and turned sideways, he could not get the machine to move forward. I watched for 20 minutes just laughing, partly because I was delirious after being up for 2 days and part heartlessness because I didn't like the company he was subbing for but he tried so hard and had to throw in the towel. I could have went through a 12 pack watching, it was a good show but it did show me some limitations to a track machine. Unless you commit to the aftermarket tracks for snow I personally would go with a tire machine. I've run both in the snow with good luck but that pushed me to a tire machine over a track when I bought one this year.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2015
  10. Whiffyspark

from SOMD

A tire machine would be useless for him any other time than snow. I'd just deal with it for the couple months it snows and excel with it for your other business.

11. Lone Wolf Ent

Lone Wolf Ent Junior Member

Look at a "D" series CAT MTL. Great ride, good traction, and decent speed with a 2 speed. We will probably add one next year.

12. BOSSMAN21

BOSSMAN21 Senior Member

Thanks for the input guys! Honestly I didn't know you could take the tires off and put aftermarket tracks on the same machine, Ill look into that!

13. Whiffyspark

from SOMD

System is like 10k for that. The Avs style track machine cat 7 series do good. But they're expensive

Not a huge fan of ott tracks

14. jomama45

jomama45 PlowSite.com Addict

I'm curious as to why not?

I honestly haven't put mine on in probably 5 years, mostly because I have good access to a tracked machine the very few times I need one, but I never had much problems with them, other than getting a flat tire sucks, and getting a large rock wedged inbetween the track and bead really sucks. That said, It's nearly impossible to get one stuck. They may not be easy on turf, but I doubt there's much grass to mantain in the woods the guy's making firewood in........

As a side note, I think I paid between $2000-2500 for the tracks and I could get them on myself within 40 minutes after a little experience, probably half that to take them off. You could make that time up in one good snowfall with the efficincy & etra speed of a tired skid. It's not my money though..........

15. WIPensFan

WIPensFan PlowSite Veteran

Well said. I agree.

16. subydude

subydude Junior Member
    from RI

I dont have any experience with skids but it has been said on here that tracks are much more expensive to replace than tires and that plowing wears the tracks down fairly quick. But if your summer work is more important than snow removal I'd do what is best for that side of your business

17. Whiffyspark

from SOMD

Exactly what you just stated. I think they're hard on the drive motors as well

18. seville009

seville009 Senior Member
    from CNY

I have an ASV (tracked) for personal use. Works great in the snow. They're not great in ice, but nothing is unless you have chains on tires. The key to gaining traction is to throttle down.

It also depends on the tracks you have. The OEM ASV tracks work great in snow. My neighbor has a tracked Bobcat that has the wide lug tracks; I tried it once and hated it - traction was terrible. However, I wasn't used to it too. Neighbor is used to it and has no issues.

Was pushing back large snow banks last year and sunk down into grainy snow. Was able to get myself out though; would not have been able to do it with tires.

They all have their pros and cons.

19. snocrete

snocrete Banned

What will the machine make you more money at? firewood work or snow? And by how much difference? If its a 50/50 split, I would go the tire machine(SS) route & buy steel OTT's.

Any MTL or CTL is going to be significantly more $/hr to own than a SS.

I own both CTL & SS machines.....but for what my company does, if I could only have 1, it would be a CTL.