1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Skid Steer Makes Big Difference

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Brant'sLawnCare, Jan 18, 2012.

1. Brant'sLawnCare

Brant'sLawnCare PlowSite.com Addict

This year I decided to go out on a limb and buy a skid steer. We have been using it on a job that is a condo complex with about 23, 5k square foot parking areas. Last year it took us about 5-7 truck hours with a 2-4 in. snow fall. This year it is taking between 2.5-5 hours with just the skid steer, and it is doing a better job between cars and such. I am writing this in case someone is kicking around the idea of buying a skid steer. If you spend a lot of time back dragging and turning around in a truck, definitely think about purchasing a skid steer. You will save a lot of time (=$$$) and you will do a better job. I wish someone woulda told me this sooner payup payup

Hope everyone is having a good year so far!

Brant :waving:
  2. DodgeBlizzard

DodgeBlizzard Senior Member

Plus you will find you will use it for much more then just snow.
  3. Flawless440

Flawless440 PlowSite.com Addict

Are you running a bucket only??
  4. dooleycorp

dooleycorp Senior Member

once you own one you will never let it go many uses treat it right and she will last a long time
  5. mpgall26

mpgall26 Senior Member

I only do snow so was considering getting one for next season and leasing it out during spring/summer/fall, I just don't know how tough it will be to lease/rent and I can't justify letting it sit during the off season. I have to look around lawnsite maybe and do some homework. Maybe just look hard for a good winter lease is best, some of the machines I looked at for season lease this year were junk. Decent ones were reserved for the same seasonal customers.
  6. RLM

RLM PlowSite.com Addict

When I bought my first skid people thought I was nuts, I've since traded that machine in on two units, all were primarily used for snow. Leases are expensive look for a low hour couple year old machine, when I bought mine (10 yrs ago now) bobcat finance had real rates, annually it willl be less than a winter rental.
  7. jomama45

jomama45 PlowSite.com Addict

Brant, you should have asked I would have gladly told you.... :laughing: I fell in love with plowing with a skid 15 years ago. I haven't been in a truck, other than a handfull of times, in at least 4 years, and I certainly don't miss them.

What do you have mounted on it?
  8. magnum1

magnum1 Senior Member
    from ID & ND

Like mentioned earlier in this thread, Think your making $$ now wait till spring
    and the many uses and toys ( attachments ) you'll find to use with your skid, If your
    like me you'll need more skids. Good Luck this season Thumbs Up
  9. Brant'sLawnCare

I have an 8' Western with wings mounted to it. A guy sold the plow to me for $650. It just needed a cutting edge, but I happened to have one of those sitting around. Works pretty nice now.

Hey Joe! I guess I should've guessed by your pic that you love skids. I ended up getting a John Deere 240 from a guy around West Bend. Seems to be in decent shape. I found a good deal on an 8' Western. What do you run for skids and plows?
  10. Brant'sLawnCare

Thanks! I like the skid you have in the pic there. It looks nice. How do you like it?

I used it about 30 hrs this summer, so nothing major. But it was my first year with one. Hopefully next year things will pick up a bit. The landscape market here seems to be a little up and down though.
  11. Brant'sLawnCare

Craigslist usually has some pretty decent machines on it. Some are definitely whipped, but some are still in good shape. I would check for a deal on there.
  12. Brant'sLawnCare

That is what I am hoping for!
  13. dooleycorp

dooleycorp Senior Member

machinery trader.com has alot of machines to look at
  14. thelettuceman

thelettuceman PlowSite.com Addict

I plow a fast food property with my pick up truck. Next door is another fast food property. That guy uses a skid steer and whips my ass ... time wise .... every time. I wish that I could justify one but I don't have that many properties and my other business is junk removal.You made a smart move with the skid steer!!!
  15. blowerman

blowerman PlowSite.com Addict

Really? And after Brant uses a wheel loader, he'll never go back to a skidloader. I'm with you on the trucks, don't miss em.
  16. jomama45

jomama45 PlowSite.com Addict

I agree, If it wasn't my own skidsteer, I'd certainly take one of the wheel loader routes for my brother. Subbing pays better though, and I can always get additional time piling for him when necessary.

Brant, I run a route with my Bobcat S250 with a Western/shop-built plow. I started a thread about putting it together a few ears ago here.

I also have an older BC 763 with a Western 8.5' that I use to clean up at home/shop with, and the plow serves as a spare. If you need an insight on the plowing w/ the skid, PM me. Thumbs Up