1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Skid Steer - HP to box size

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by sk187, Sep 21, 2016.

1. sk187

sk187 Senior Member

I am looking to buy a skid steer for snow removal.
    I have always rented a 70hp wheeled machine and used it with a plow for sidewalks and salt loading.

This year things have changed and I would like to buy a machine and just wondering if anyone knew of a general hp to push box ratio.

Would love to run a 10' box but need to keep the machine small enough that it can get on a 5' raised sidewalk with the plow on and also fit in a shipping container to get salt.

I would really love a tracked machine for summer use but they are awful in the winter and a dedicated set of winter tracks doesnt seem cost effective.

To sum it up, what is the general HP required for a 8, 10, and 12' box?

2. Philbilly2

Philbilly2 2000 Club Member

Here is from ProTech's site. This will give you something to start with.

Push Box.PNG

3. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

We've had a 10' pusher on our S650 for 2 seasons now, I don't think I would go any larger.

4. sk187

sk187 Senior Member

Thanks that helps a lot.

5. sk187

sk187 Senior Member

That looks to be a 70ish hp machine, would you have gone with 8' if you could do it over again?

6. Masssnowfighter

Masssnowfighter Senior Member
    from ma

I have a Cat297c tracked machine and the thing is awesome in the snow. It handles a 10' box with no problems. I even ran a arctic ld14 on it a few times and it handled that with no problem. Bobcats and all of the other tracked machines do suck in the snow though

7. Mark Oomkes

Not at all. If anything I would go larger, but in a wing type like a HLA SnowWing or MetalPless PlowMaxx, so it could be 10' or larger.

8. Mark Oomkes

Pretty sure there's a goodly number of Bobcat owners that would disagree.

9. Masssnowfighter

Masssnowfighter Senior Member
    from ma

So bobcat track machines are good in the snow???? The few I have tried couldn't even get out of there own way

10. sk187

sk187 Senior Member

I used a TL190 Bobcat for a winter and it was nothing like a wheeled machine. I called on camoplast "B" tracks for a TL190 and they were $1750 for a pair. Apparently they are great for snow and are year round tracks. The salesman I talked to recommended them over the bridgestone polar tracks.

11. rob_cook2001

rob_cook2001 2000 Club Member

I also run a 10ft box on a s650 and it does great. If you want a little smaller machine get a s590 or a s205 and put dedicated snow tires in it. Will make it even narrower and will be able to run your 10ft box.. The reason bobcats track machines suck so bad in the snow is the track design. With a different track it will do much better but still not the same as a wheeled machine.

12. John_DeereGreen

John_DeereGreen PlowSite.com Addict

An 1850 ROC machine with good tires will run a 10 foot box. Dedicated snow tires help, but we've run Arctic boxes for several years on regular skid tires.

A lot of this equation depends on the box you want. A cheap ass 8' rubber edge box will work a 2500 ROC skid, where a nice box like Arctic or Metal Pless will just start to work the smaller machine.

For what it's worth, my advice if you can afford it is an HLA Snowing or Metal Pless Plowmaxx instead of a box if you've got properties that make more sense for a plow instead of the box. Adds an easy 20% production to the machine with a competent operator.

I'm in the same boat as you as summer use easily justifies track loaders, but it sucks to have a dedicated set of tracks. I'm strongly considering a T650 for this winter as a trial run with Polar Tracks to see how it goes. It's almost worth giving up a bit in winter for the summer gains.

13. sk187

sk187 Senior Member

Thanks for the reply.

Can a SS handle a larger parking lot or does it bog down and just get to slow with a 2 speed skid steer.

Basically I am trying to eliminate one of 3 loaders with a skid steer that just sits around to load salt.

14. John_DeereGreen

How large is larger?

15. LapeerLandscape

LapeerLandscape PlowSite.com Addict

The key to either track or tire skid is getting a good scrape so you get traction.

16. sk187

sk187 Senior Member

Very large, a mall parking lot.
    I have 3 loaders running 16' boxes, and have a SS that will just be loading salt this year at the same location.

Click my signature picture, those are the loaders and that's one of the many parking lots.

17. John_DeereGreen

If you use the skid to feed a loader I could see it possibly working, but to completely replace a loader with a skid on its own I think would be tough.

18. Mark Oomkes

I wood agree.

19. Philbilly2

Philbilly2 2000 Club Member

I would also agree. If you see that you only need 2 loaders or even 2 1/2 loaders, you might be able to use a skid to replace, but if you need 3 loaders, a skid will just not replace a loader.

20. John_DeereGreen

Glad I'm not the only one with that thought process. We started using loaders on 10+ acre accounts 3 seasons ago and I certainly wouldn't want to go back to skids on those accounts.

Their ability to carry large volumes and stack to the moon just can't be replaced by a skid. However, moving snow to alleyways that a loader can push down works well for us. It's saving us purchasing another loader for this coming season, however if something happens to that skid it doesn't take long to be in hot water.