1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Skid Steer Help Needed

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment' started by MRUSSELL, Oct 23, 2006.

MRUSSELL Member

I Have Been Plowing For 4 Years Now Its Time To Invest In A Skid Steer
    I Know Nothing About These Machines I Mainly Need It To Move Snow At Parking Lots From One Place To Another Any Suggestions On What To Get Definitely Want A Used One Thats For Sure
  2. baddboygeorge

baddboygeorge Senior Member

go cat all the way get a track unit 247 its an awesome machine if ya want something bigger get a 277 . Buy a cat you wont go wrong!!
  3. Mean4x4

Mean4x4 Senior Member
    from Livonia

CAT.. I agree!!

I have owned a Case 70xt, New Holland LS180 and Gehl CTL 80. The Gehl was nice, but NOTHHING compared to my Cat 252. You will pay more for it, but hands down the nicest machine available. Parts are available everywhere, they offer 24 hr service and The basic quality of the machine is fantastic, I will be purchasing all CAT heavy equipment from here on. Plus when you can finance at 4.3 % for 4 years, Why not?
  4. hickslawns

hickslawns Senior Member

Financing at those terms are for new skidloaders. He wants used. Best I can tell you is get the local equipment traders and see what they are going for. THis will give you a ballpark idea of what model and what year machine you are looking for. I have a Bobcat 773 and it does a great job. Cab/heat are a plus, but will cost you more money. Listen to the dealers and filter the fact from the sales pitch. Search online. You also have to filter thru the opinions on the websites like this one. There are lots of good machines out there that will do what you want it to do. Look for a machine with a good dealer network in your area. Hope some of this helps you.
  5. DugHD

DugHD Senior Member
    from Maine

mrussel- A good first skid steer for moving snow in a parking lot would prolly be a rubber tired machine with cab & heat. Also buy a good large snow bucket.
  6. itsgottobegreen

itsgottobegreen PlowSite.com Addict

If you are buying used. Get a bobcat. Since anybody can fix them. They are super easy to work on too. Plus they run for ever.
  7. skid steer

What ever type of skid steer you decide to purchase, do not purchase a skid steer with foot controls. Joystick controls are the only way to go..... And if you can, get a skid steer with AC and heat. A AC/heater unit will defrost the windows much better because of the AC condensor. All of this is just my experience. I own 8 skid steers. 2004 or newer.
  8. Bruce'sEx

Bruce'sEx Senior Member

If you look around a used BOBCAT, you can get ones that have optional controls
    foot, or hand controls, flip a switch to pick. (you can evern get mid-size Bobcats with joystick (basically cat controls)) That way you can put any operator in it. I would not go for track machines if you are using it just for snow. go tires. Bobcats run for ever, easy to fix. lots of people around to fix them if you don't have time or the tools.
  9. Duracutter

Duracutter Senior Member
    from Canada

A large bucket is great if you're working by the job. Most of our contracts are per hour..lol

Most skidsteers are good enough for snow, John Deere, bobcat. Price can vary but I found rental companies sell them pretty cheap. They've already got their money out of it...could be a way to go.:cool:
  10. Schwertnerlandc

Schwertnerlandc Junior Member

What ever you do get a 2 speed! I have a Cat 262B 2 speed and its he greatest! Talk to the dealers Cats hurting for sales I saved about $10,000 and got 1.7% for 60 mo. Write me with any questions
  11. River Hill

River Hill Senior Member

Do you have a flyer from your dealer showing the 1.7%? My local dealer said they would match any rates that I could show them.
  12. Schwertnerlandc

Schwertnerlandc Junior Member

Ya its through Cat Financial let me find the paper work. Its a mess getting ready! If you can send your e-mail address to schwertnerlandc@aol.com, and I'll see what i can do.
  13. bobcat s-160

bobcat s-160 Senior Member
    from MI

Go with bobcat!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Make sure you get a BIG bucket for it inclosed cab and heat. Bobcats run forever. And are easy to run. i wouldn't have anything else. buy one you would be sorry!!!!! tell me what you come up withwesport
  14. cybermallinc

cybermallinc Junior Member

I am seriously thinking about buying a 2 speed ASV PT-60 Tracked Skid Loader for year round use. Summer logging & winter plowing.
    ASV is offering 0% for 36 months same as cash! After trade I could afford to pay cash but the 0% for 3 years is appealing. I think all dealers are hurting. The salesman drove 30 miles round trip to get me & take me up to the shop to demo 3 new machines (PT-80, 70 & 60), then took me back home (door to door service). He even let me drive all over their nice grass lawn hills to show me what kind of hills it would climb. It was awesome! My question is: I have a 2005 JD 317 Skid Steer wheeled machine with 400 hrs on it for trade. It's super clean & has an enclosed cab with heat, sliding side windows, Hydraulic Quick Attach, Brand new "Super Flex" foam filled 12x16.5 Super Boss tires on brand new rims. The ASV machine I specked out is $46,000.00 fully loaded. Options include: 2 Speed, Cold weather cab enclosure which includes Wiper, Heater & Insulation. Rear Brush Guard for forestry work, Sliding Side Windows, Rear Window, Bolt On Lift Points for tying machine down, Trailer Hitch. My questions are:
    *How can I avoid getting taken on the trade*? They haven't made an offer on the trade yet. *How do I haggle the $46k price professionally & ethically*? I need some of you experienced buyers to advise me. The JD 317 is only reselling on ebay for about $15,000.00 - $17,000,00
    Thanks for any help or advice.
  15. Zodiac

Zodiac Member

ASV machines are cool.

But you're gonna have track issues.

Actually, we don't even rent tracked machines out in winter time because they sometimes run into trouble moving snow.

Technically, ANY track can come off if it's not properly tensioned. And I think that's the majority of our problems.

But we have so many tracked machines, that in snow, we see a couple a week where the tracks come off. Keep in mind this is on the several hundred machines we have, so we're still alright, I just see it all the time.

The earlier CAT machines used ASV tracks too. Keep that in mind.

CAT makes a good machine, expensive, but good. Bobcat's are alright, I hated foot controls though. New Holland/Case makes a good machine, a little underpowered, but cheap. Remember, CASE means Can't Afford Something Else. :D

It all comes down to parts availability and service.

If and when it breaks (and it will) who will be there to stand by their machine? Will it be your local CAT dealer? An independant mechanic? Who?

If you need that hydraulic hose made at three AM, is someone going to do it? Will someplace even be open?

Do they have an emergency parts hotline?

Do they have mechanics/parts available 24/7?

I can tell you flat out, FABCO CAT doesn't have mechanics available in the shop at three AM. You can call us, and we can wake a guy up and get him out to you, but after hours all we've got is parts guys.
  16. powerjoke

powerjoke PlowSite.com Addict

CaT/ASV is a good machine but CaT know's they have a lil problem with thier U/C.....

so they are offering a NEW track design that runs on ALL STEEL ON STEEL...:NOD: that's right :D no more of this rubber nob's driven by a drum of roller's. oh' and now they are 2 speed.

they are offering this option at NO EXTRA COST, i think why is because they may have to pay ASV a royalty or something for every machine sold????Zodiac is that about right?

but if i was considering a track machine it would be one of the new 2 speed cat's.

ans as far as ethic's on buying a machine LOL. don't worrie about it youre the customer and they should bend over backward's for you, and have you told them you have a trade?...if not.. DON'T well atleast untill they give you a nut-cut price on the new one lol
    send me a visitor mesage by clicking on the pic' by my name if you have any direct q's for me(i don' know much but i'll help you what i can)

Zodiac is pretty hip on the CaT machines too......for a wash-boy ;)

EDIT: an i can tell you first hand that CaT has UN-SURPASSED part's and tech support at ANY hour of the night. i have a part's guy that will deliver part's to my jobsite's or shop the same day i order it.....oh' and i am 75 miles from the nearest Dean Machinery dealer.. now that is dealer support, i cant afford to have any other machine!

Last edited: Sep 17, 2008
  17. Peterbilt

Peterbilt Senior Member
    from IA.

I got the same deal on My new PT80, 0 Payments for 3 months and 3 years 0%.

I will never purchase another brand, I love my RC50 as well.

I guess somebody did, complained about it on line, now everybody thinks that ASVs have track problems. News flash, Every machine has problems.
  18. camconcrete

camconcrete Senior Member

Don't be so hard on Case. They are relatively cheap, with a simple design that hasn't changed for ages and they are rugged as can be. We had an 1845c that we traded 5 years ago with well over 7000 hours on the second tach. And everyone knows how hard concrete contractors are on their equipment. Now we have an 85 XT and it is a bull dozer on four wheels. At 2300 hours and being a 99 model its still going strong. Don't get me wrong the new cats are awesome machines, But they seem to me that they come with too many bells and whistles to break. I would much rather have a more simple machine that doesn't let me down.
  19. farmermatt

farmermatt Junior Member

there is alot of opinions based on the fact of "I own this so it is the best" Personally I own a bobcat s250 for my application I had no need to spend an extra 15k on tracks I plowed 4 inches of frozen sleet with it last year with no prob. bobcat makes a good machine with lots of choices I like mine very well and would buy it again given the chance seriously think about the 2 speed option for plowing I wish I had it and the next one will I have run powerjoke's CAT and it is a nice machine no doubt also more expensive, the cab is second to none but the coupler visibility is not as good and even grased up it is very hard to get the bucket off both are good loaders and would be my 1 and 2 picks seriously consider how valuable a 15k track option is worth to you when you cut one and you spend 5k+ on new ones
  20. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

if the primary job of this machine will be snow then tracks shouldnt even be a consideration

i like John Deere but any brand will do what you need it to

i would pick from any of your local NEW skidloader dealers

2 speed is great but generally is in larger machine which will prolly cost more

have you ever run one? hand or foot controls shouldnt matter either if you havent run one i think foot controls are easier to learn but you will catch on to hand controls also