1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Skid steer for snow removal?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by derekslawncare, Jul 29, 2014.

1. derekslawncare

derekslawncare PlowSite.com Addict

Hi to all. I'm new to the site and am currently researching what skid steer to buy for snow removal and salt loading. I was on another plowing forum and found an old post (2009) by Matthew Bowman who said he currently had 3 units he used. A New Holland wheeled unit and two tracked units, a ASV and a Cat. He stated that all 3 were pushing 8' box blades. He went on to say that his 2 tracked units would push snow way better than the wheeled New Holland. Now I know that most everyone on here is saying tires are better than tracks in the snow, however, he said it had something to do with the track design being different on the ASV and Cat than on any other brand. Sure enough, when I go to those manufacturers websites and look, the track tread is way different on those two brands. I would like someone in the business that runs track loaders (successfully) for snow removal to contact me so I can talk to them. When I have rented loaders in the past, I always opted for the track units because the ride was so much better and I could turn the track units w/o riding a "bucking bronco". Incidentally, 99% of my machines use will be snow related. I am a one man army, so I don't do any landscaping, (retaining walls, patio pavers or dirt work) that I would use the machine in the summer months for. I have decided to go with an 8' or 9' HLA Snow Wing for my plow choice. Whatever unit I choose will need to fit in a sea can (shipping container) as that is where I will be storing it and my salt. Thanks

Last edited: Jul 29, 2014
  2. Longae29

Longae29 PlowSite.com Addict

Feel free to pm me your phone number and I'll give you a call. We run Caterpillars with and without tracks I'd be more than happy to discuss.

3. WIPensFan

WIPensFan PlowSite Veteran

You're storing it in the container with the salt??

4. derekslawncare

That was the plan. Why? Do you think I will have a rust issue on the skid steer?

Last edited: Jul 29, 2014
  5. xtreem3d

xtreem3d PlowSite.com Addict

Absolutely...the "atmosphere" surrounding salt will get into everything, please don't do it. We don't parking anything( loaders,trucks,trailers ) near our salt piles , summer or winter

6. WIPensFan

WIPensFan PlowSite Veteran

As said here...yes you will have MAJOR rust issues.

7. derekslawncare

Well, I wondered about that, but I am going to have additional vents put in the sides of the container because I have been told that these containers have a tendency to "sweat" inside. So I thought that as long as I kept it well ventilated and dry inside, I would be OK. The company that I used to buy from (a larger competitor) had his salt pile in a kind of silo, and kept the bobcat parked in there with it so you could pull in to the yard and over next to the silo, then just load up. His loader was a little rough looking, but also several years old, so no telling how well it was cared for as far as washing after every storm and such.

8. Whiffyspark

Whiffyspark 2000 Club Member
    from SOMD

Big difference between a container and silo. Container has very little airflow even with vents

9. framer1901

framer1901 Senior Member

Additional vents won't help, you could take the dang roof off and still have major issues.

NO, No and no - Put a shovel in there and see how much it rusts

10. seville009

seville009 Senior Member
    from CNY

I had a tailgate salt spreader on the back if my pickup, which has a cap over the bed. The tailgate hinges and any tools in the bed got rusty real quick from the tailgate spreader. You should definitely not store anything with your salt. If you have no choice, leave the bagged salt outside and just tarp it for added protection.

11. seville009

seville009 Senior Member
    from CNY

By the way, i have an ASV PT50 with oem tracks; it's a tank in the snow. Not great on icey pavement, but what is.

12. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

What cat and what Asv are you thinking. We have both.
    Also. No machine in the sea box. Usually they won't even rent to guys storing salt

13. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

If you buy a CAT machine, talk to Jeremy Rock at Foley Cat off 87th and 435. He's more heavy power but will work with you on getting right machine. The also sell sectional plows. Look for a 252 or 257 or larger to push a 10 ft.

Tell him Pat from the caves referred you.

14. derekslawncare

Well, here are my issues. I am a one man operation working out of his garage at home. I have no place to store anything other than my hooklift body with all my mowers on it and my 10.5' SV-2 plow for my truck. My salter/spray rig body and my 20yd roll off dumpster is stored at a local self storage facility, who also happens to be one of my snow removal customers. I have no additional space there for the skid steer and they don't want a container on there property for the salt. Soooo, I have made an arrangement with another snow client, a church about 15 miles from my home and the storage place to allow me to leave the container there in exchange for a discount on their services. I want the skid steer inside (out of the weather and for security). Don't know about you guys, but my insurance agent says construction equip. is a huge theft issue.
    My plan originally was one 40 foot container that both the bulk (not bagged) salt and the loader could go in. I would add additional venting at the top and bottom of the container to get good airflow. My thinking was that with vents at top and bottom, as air heats, it rises and with vents at bottom, it would draw fresh cooler air in at the bottom as the hot goes out the top. Once this air flow started, it would constantly circulate fresh air in.
    Since no one on here likes the "both in the same container" idea, what about two 20 footers next to each other? One for the salt, the other for my loader. Incidentally, I sold my mowing trailer two years ago when I got this new truck, so that means I either rent one or I have to unload my spreader and put the loader on my mower body to transport it. Therefore, the loader needs to be left wherever the salt is otherwise I will have way to much windshield time to get anything done.

Now that you know my whole scenario, maybe you can give me a better solution than the one I had. Thanks again to all who have or will comment. I taking all your input to heart to make a decision.

15. Whiffyspark

Whiffyspark 2000 Club Member
    from SOMD

Neither is ideal. But 2 20s would be better.

16. derekslawncare

How about 2 20s, vent the loader can, keep the salt can sealed. By the way, I will be buying the containers, so no need to worry about what I can and can't put in a rental. I am even considering rhino lining the salt can. Just a thought.

17. Fannin76

Fannin76 Senior Member

Well on the skid steer talk I've got a small 25 horse gehl I picked up for 500 bucks and I was going to put a push box on it and try and work it. Is this to small of a machine would I be better with a blowerfor it?

18. framer1901

framer1901 Senior Member

I just used a small ASV RC30, I think that is 30hp. That would work for sidewalks or snowfalls in Florida I think.

No weight, no guts but it worked for what I needed.

I don't see much more than sidewalk work for something in the 25-30hp range.

19. Fannin76

Fannin76 Senior Member

I'm thinking of a plow for it since Bob cat plows aren't huge I'm sure if I stay on top of the snow it shouldn't have to much trouble. Idk I only paid 500 for it I'll find a use for it lol