1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

skid steer for snow operations??

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by Sicilian snow, Sep 19, 2011.

1. Sicilian snow

Sicilian snow Junior Member

Hi,

I currently do a lot of snow shovelling/blowing

Also use a 98 sierra 1500 w/tailgate salter to plow two doctors office....easy stuff..

I want to get a skid steer that works for my size operation. I am planning on providing service to the medium size commercial condo units.

I'm thinking of a skid steer with an 8' pusher.. most of the contracts i am after are in the same area and I would be able to drive from site to site.

Also, I have 01 F250 RWD and 3.5 tonne dump trailer w/ramps.

Any advice on equipment??? price points??

2. Sicilian snow

awesome.....thanks!!

3. JaimeG

JaimeG Senior Member

I guess it all depends on how much you're wiling to spend.

4. buckwheat_la

buckwheat_la 2000 Club Member

The best advice I can give, if you are on a limited budget, look for a Case 1845, or even a Case 1840, both bullet proof machines. The nice thing about these machines is they are very "meat and potatoes" nothing fancy at all about them.

5. Sicilian snow

..thanks.

I have found a case 1845 c....low hours..great condition full cab and heat 10k.( at least that's what it says)

trying to get specifics on year and hours. also found brand new 8' avalanche pusher $2300..

Im new to the pricing game on this kind of equipment...any questions I need to ask, things to look for.

Thanks guys...

6. Sicilian snow

this case actually sold.....I'll keep looking though

7. buckwheat_la

buckwheat_la 2000 Club Member

Too bad it sold, that is a great price on that skid in my opinion

8. Sicilian snow

any input

06 John Deere 317 ...2000hrs....heat/AC.....fully serviced and ready to go.

$15,500.00

Sounds like a good deal, but i'm not sure i can pull that ????

9. snocrete

snocrete Banned

It only weighs 6300lbs. Any 3/4 ton truck should easily pull that around. 15500 for that seems cheap..?....finding out who the previous owner(company) is and what they did with it for the first 2000 hrs would be a good start on knowing what it has been used for. Personally, I wouldnt want to buy a machine from a demo company....just sayin.

10. Sicilian snow

from a rental company. this is a discounted rate through a friend in the company, who would be doing me a favour....

Thanks!!

11. iceman1

iceman1 Sponsor

The most important thing I can tell you is buy a 2 speed unit.

12. Sicilian snow

I'm assuming the 2 speed gets me to the next job faster, that's the advantage??

Any input on chosing over a case, NH, bobcat, deere.....

recently came across a NH 01 LS180 cab w/heat...3000hrs 2 spd. looks to be in great shape $12,900

13. iceman1

iceman1 Sponsor

Have never personally owned a New Holland but they are great for snow. My sub who has one pushes all the time in 2 speed and makes great time. You want the 2 speed for pushing not just for traveling. I own a bunch of bobcats and there 2 speed is not the best for pushing. I would jump on that NH if nice. Offer him $10,000

14. Sicilian snow

nice...I think I will send in that offer......I am also looking into financing some thing newer. we'll see what happens with this..

thanks

15. gvm

gvm Member

That is a good deal for that machine. Even if you met in the middle around 13kThumbs Up

16. 4wydnr

4wydnr Senior Member
    from N. IL

I've been running my NH LS 180 for 4 years in the snow and farm duty the rest of the year. It is a great machine very few issues, my only complaint is it that the creature comforts are pretty low. The cab and heater do an excellent job at heating you out. But the machine is very noisy, I always wear ear plugs when running it.

Also we bought it in Nov. of 07 with 900 hrs for $18,000.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2011
  17. gvm

gvm Member

You did good on the price in 2007. Yes, they are very loud inside. I used to run an LX 885 Turbo for 8 hours a day, 5 days a week back in the day. I got used to it, but I could have tacked on another 10 years of good hearing if I had worn my gun mufflers:)

They have gotten a tad quieter, especially the 200 series (2011) but I would still wear plugs if I were running it for more than a couple hours at a time.

I spent 3 days in a mustang skid loader last February (WE ALL REMEMBER THAT STORM!) and that machine is just as loud as the NH.

Creature comforts in the NH are low, when you compare the interior of a new bobcat S650, kinda like a caddy versus a willys jeep, BUT...IMO, the NH is a brute, and it flat out cooks in hi gear, so I can do without the bells and whistles for the performance advantage. Oh, and lastly, the cab heaters in the NH can cook a turkey! I could have worn a pair of swim trunks and still been comfortable in a blizzard. As long as I didnt have to get out of the cab, LOL!

18. 4wydnr

4wydnr Senior Member
    from N. IL

My thoughts exactly, I'll take rock solid performance over comfort. After the first half hour the heat gets turned down and I start opening windows.The only issue I've had that cost me time was gelling twice, now I carry a spare filter.

19. Sicilian snow

good input.........thanks.....you guys seem to like NH skids!!

so the offer for $10k for the NH was to low.....Maybe we can meet in the middle at 11,500. should I expect any issues in 3000hrs range.

...or the 06 Deere 317 $15,500 w/2000hrs.....maybe I can get that a little lower.......one machine better than the other?????