1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Skid-Steer For Sale & Income Opportunity!

Discussion in 'Used Plowing and Truck Equipment Forum' started by ChicagoSnow, Mar 22, 2006.

1. ChicagoSnow

ChicagoSnow Senior Member

2. GSE

GSE Senior Member

So you're going to pay $600/mo to rent the machine back? Have you priced monthly skid steer rentals or are you knowingly trying to soak someone?
  3. ChicagoSnow

GSE......... Sounds like you have been "soaked before"? If so, do tell........

Before making any investment one should weigh the pro's and cons. With education, experience and just plain old "thinking outside of the box", a person can create their own mutually beneficial transaction any time/any where.

To quickly touch base on rental pricing (for examples sake). A investor can rent a house for $500 or lets say $5,000 per month. I can quickly say I would automatically choose the lower rental payment because thats what "John Doe" says is the best/cheapest house for me. Or.................. I may choose to discover that the $5,000 per month home has a possible income stream attached that will more than eliminate any monthly rent payment due me.

If you dont look, if you dont ask questions, if you dont learn, you may never know what an opportunity looks like.

All professional questions, comments, etc. are more than welcome............

4. NJ Plowman

NJ Plowman Senior Member

hey guys,

A few questions here.

GSE: How much are skid steers renting per month for?

Joe: What does renting a house for $500 or $5000 have to do with your skid steer?

This seems like and interesting post, I just would like to kick it around a little...any body else have any inpuy?
  5. ChicagoSnow

NJ Plowman..........

I made the comparison of different rent values (based on real estate/ properties) due to the fact that there are similar creative income possibilities to be found in my skid steer opportunity as found in the real estate industry. I have yet to find a resource that has taken key pieces of equipment and basically searched for a way to maximize its use 90%-100%. This is what I'm trying to do. By the way, my company derives 50%+ of its gross sales from Snow & Ice Management services. I really get annoyed when equipment sits(or not utilized enough) during its "non-prime time" of the year. Regardless of my skid steer steer selling on its own merit........ which it will. I have always considered skid steer usage (most often) to be "importantly sparatic", but seriously critical when you simply have to have one. So I ask, why can't two individuals or companies that each have a seasonal strength (1 summer season and the other winter season) find a way to "team up" in a WIN/WIN agreement to fully capitilize on equipment already own?

All comments are welcome.

6. DistinctiveDave

DistinctiveDave Senior Member

So why dont you offer it for rent at $600 per month for the summer when your not using it....
  7. grassmanvt

grassmanvt Senior Member
    from Vermont

here's my two cents. A; good luck trying to get it back at your prime time for $600 a month. B; can't blame ya for trying and you'll never know if you don't ask.C;good chance it'll just sell or not sell on its own, with the "oppurtunity" never explored D; the more I think about it, snow work is pretty easy on a machine and if the buyer had absolutly no use for it in the winter and had a season's contract with little hours being put on it and considering you said the number would start at $600 I'm guessing more could be negotiated out of you, maybe it could work out.E; I appologize for my ramblings.
  8. ChicagoSnow

First off......... thanks for your detailed responses. They are greatly appreciated!

If anything else comes from this post/sale-opportunity, why can't we start a new topic of "Under utilized equipment looking for a seasonal home"? In this thread we can communicate equipment needs, detail, rental rates or even independant contractor tools that will assist a independant contractor to be located and placed on a property that best suits their needs (first and foremost!!)......... or not??? Just some thoughts.

One detail that I realize is snow related work is very easy on a machine. Outside of hourly/clock time utilized (if it snows??), you are moving frozen water and not soil, gravel, concrete ridddled with rebar, etc.

One aspect of a snow related piece of equipment that is VERY important to any operation is its reliability. If a piece of equipment is not reliable it is worthless. Who wants to have back ups of "half ass" equipment 3 deep. Who can afford that and if you can isnt there a better way to invest that money?

Back on the issue of skid-steer rental. Here in the Chicagoland area we have a very good resource for Bobcat skidsteers in my opinion(Atlas Bobcat). They have winter rental programs for brand new S250's. Rental rates are $1,000 a month for a new S250 with heat, enclosed cab and a 3 month minimum guarantee or a new S250 2-speed with heat, enclosed cab also with a 3 month minimum guarantee for $1,200.00 a month. They also let you spec out a machine (S250 class) for your rental in hopes that you will convert your rental into a purchase. Nevertheless, Atlas bobcat knows that they can still sell their machines for near new pricing even after a machine has been used as a snow rental. Again, many of you would probably agree that snow really is THE lowest stress form of work on a skid steer.

Snow professionals need access to reliable equipment, not always ownership of that equipment. The said equipment can be utilized with their owner or not.

Please realize that our company "hourly" skid steer usage is in fact varied from season to season entirely based on snowfall. Our seasonal usage will average well under 60 hours in our operation.

Please, if you can add to this information I would greatly appreciate it!

9. GSE

GSE Senior Member

These are direct from my local Bobcat dealer's website. All other dealers around here are equal or more.... Personally, I own my machine and work it year round....

753/S130 1300/4740 $150.00 200 300 700 1,750.00
    773/S185 1850/5900 $175.00 235 345 820 2,050.00
    863/S220 2200/7000 $175.00 235 345 820 2,050.00
    873/S250 2500/7750 $175.00 235 345 820 2,050.00
  10. ChicagoSnow

Bobcat has a unique SNOW RENTAL program. Again, as I stated before the snow rental rates are drastically less than any/all other rental programs.

Call your local Bobcat dealer to find out more information. You can reference Atlas Bobcat from Illinois if you need to.