1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Skid Steer Enclosure

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment' started by Chevy03dump, Aug 13, 2008.

1. Chevy03dump

Chevy03dump Member

I have a Gehl 4835 , no heat or enclosure. I am thinking of using it to plow drives at a complex this winter. My questions are: has anyone used the acrylic after market enclosures. The front door is also acrylic with wiper. Are you happy with performance?

Another question is Gehl skids are oil cooled. I was looking at heaters on ebay. They say they can be used with oil systems. I am concerned with hot oil being in the cab. Any suggestions or experience? Install pictures.

Positive comments and constructive criticism welcome. Had to add this, you know how some threads go. lol
  2. Camden

Camden PlowSite Fanatic

I've got a soft cab on my skid and it's worked really well. When I bought the machine I thought I would have to immediately switch to a hard cab if I was going to do any sort of work in the winter but that's not the case at all. I don't even have a windshield wiper and there hasn't been one time where I needed one. I suppose it would be nice but it's definitely not necessary.

As far as the heater is concerned, my machine came with a factory heater so I can't help ya there.

Good luck
  3. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

I put a cab on our subs Gehl , can't remember the size, 4840 ( I think) It was around $2600 installed, but worth every penny.
  4. Chevy03dump

Chevy03dump Member

Thanks for the input. I just wasn't to sure how good they work not being factory.

thanks again!
  5. cat320

cat320 2000 Club Member

well to be honest the oild heat from the factory is not hot enough I would get an electric one and get a bigger battery. and yes they are oil cooled.
  6. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

The cab we had installed, is a Gehl cab right from the dealer and the guy that ran it for over 150 hrs, never complained once.
  7. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

I don't have a Gehl but on my Bobcat 610 I just cut plexiglass for the sides and back and attached that and for the door I made a wood frame and put another piece of plexi in it. Warm and cheap. Total investment was less the $80.
  8. Chevy03dump

Chevy03dump Member

Did you put a heater in it? What kind?
  9. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

I didn't put a heater on it yet. Since it is air cooled I was thinking of running some heat duct work and a fan off of the exhaust. I did the same kind of heat set-up in an expermintal airplane and it works great in cold weather.
  10. 84deisel

84deisel Senior Member

we have the enclosed cabs on our bobcatsand on the older ones they came without factory heat, after going through numerous 12v heaters and relpacing them all the time we finally bought a couple of hot water heaters from napa.They have a built in multispeed fan and are easy to install.On our 853 it is oil cooled and we used the same heater only it goes to the engine oil.Instead of heater hose we used hydrolic hose and fittings. I didn't think it would work too well but after a good hard winter, it actually worked great just make sure you use an oil rated hose and good connections (along with cut-off valves on the engine just incase) and you will be fine.
  11. cat320

cat320 2000 Club Member

well the heat we get out of our oil lines is like luke warm you could be in there for an hour and it still has not defrosted the cab .
  12. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

Actually are cab is on a 4640 the same as yours. Maybe somethings restricting the flow on yours, just a thought.
  13. cat320

cat320 2000 Club Member

I let that thing ideal for at least 30-40 min and it still did not get hot ,hot it was warm . I taked to the dealer because they put the cab kit on says something about a screw that adj the heat I tild them about but they never seamed to get it hotter. I think I will have to find that screw that they are talking about.
  14. Ramairfreak98ss

Ramairfreak98ss PlowSite.com Addict

I know the guys ive done sub work for in jersey, took their New holland skid and, not sure their mounting methods, but made two sides and a front makeshift door out of straight plexiglass, thicker kind, not the real flimsy stuff and it works. No heat in the thing but the machine makes enough on its own to not stay freezing with the windows around you. The front door has a little latch so it stays closed, im sure they spent under $100 for the parts for it.

By no means is it nice or sealed or whatever like the actual JD or Cat cab ones but if you already own the machine its not a bad idea. Since ive had the pleasure of driving in some of the new cab stuff, i wont purchase one until i can afford the one i want, which is a Cat C series track loader, they have to be the best one out for all of that jazz, i could ride that machine 24/7 if i had to and still love it.

EXCESSIVE FORCE Junior Member

Has anyone used the acrylic cab kits from skidsteer solutions? How do you like the quality/ fit ?
  16. snow game

snow game Senior Member
    from RI

I wouldn't waste your money on electric heat, all the ones I have tried over the years either for a cab on a machine or a truck that didn't have heat worked like S%@$! Sounds like there are some good alternatives out there for you though. I found one on Craigs List for my New Holland for 600.00 door w/ wiper, and side glass. My only regret was that I didn't but the extra door he had, (I could have enclosed another one of my machines). I still have not put heat in it, but I have a line of employee's that would rather be in there, then behind the blower.
  17. 4wydnr

4wydnr Senior Member
    from N. IL

You should have jumped on the door for $600, we just had to buy a new one for $1150 and that was just the door.
  18. Longae29

Longae29 PlowSite.com Addict

One of our skidsteer operators on a cat 277 got carbon monoxide poisoning the other night, puked 10 times, finished the job, then went to the hospital. anyone have any ideas as to what may have happened? besides the fact that he should probably have had a window cracked.

EXCESSIVE FORCE Junior Member

Does anyone have any input on this?
  20. bugthug

bugthug Senior Member
    from Pa

I dont have the cab from skid steer solutions but I just bought a heater from them for my case 1845c and they are great to deal with