1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Skid Steer/Compact Track Loader for Airport Use

Discussion in 'Government Property Snow Removal' started by Breezy, Sep 30, 2014.

?

Skid Steer or Compact Track Loader

Poll closed Nov 29, 2014.
  1. Skid Steer

8 vote(s)
    80.0%
  2. Compact Track Loader

2 vote(s)
    20.0%
  1. Breezy

Breezy Junior Member

Hello all, as you may know I am new to this forum. I am the Airport Operations Supervisor for a small commercial service airport in the SE corner of Iowa. We have 2 runways with adjacent taxiways, a large apron, many private hangars, and a parking lot for cars. Overall, we plow around 65 acres of pavement. Our current setup of rigs is listed below.

We are looking at a Skid Steer/Compact Track Loader to plow our small areas (parking lot, hangars, and near our buildings). My questions to the professionals out there:

1. Skid Steer or Compact Track Loader
    2. Box blade, Plow, or Snow bucket
    3. Engine size/HP
    4. Manufacturer recommended & reason why

We will also be using the SS/CTL for small excavation, dirt work, and debris removal with a broom sweeper attachment.

Your opinions and knowledge will be greatly appreciated!

2. Ne1

Ne1 Senior Member

Definitely skid steer. We use Bobcat brand s650 or s750 series models with 2 speed transmission. Tracked loaders are slow and tracks wear quickly on concrete. Not to mention there expensive to replace.

I would get one with a general purpose bucket or snow bucket. Get a 10' snow pusher to do all your plowing and the. You can switch to the bucket to for snow relocation or small clean ups.

3. Ne1

Ne1 Senior Member

Definitely skid steer. We use Bobcat brand s650 or s750 series models with 2 speed transmission. Tracked loaders are slow and tracks wear quickly on concrete. Not to mention there expensive to replace.

I would get one with a general purpose bucket or snow bucket. Get a 10' snow pusher to do all your plowing and the. You can switch to the bucket to for snow relocation or small clean ups.

4. mike6256

mike6256 Senior Member

I agree with what NE1 said. Get a 70+ hp skid steer, don't go any smaller. I run a Kage pusher box\plow set up. Just another option for you. Check them out they are a sponsor on here.

5. Breezy

Breezy Junior Member

Thanks for your input. Can a 70+ hp machine (Bobcat s650, Cat 246, Case 440, NH 223) handle a 10' box blade with more than 6" of snow?

6. ScubaSteve728

ScubaSteve728 Senior Member

7. Ne1

Ne1 Senior Member

Yes, but I assume you would be plowing with the storm and not waiting for 6" to stack up? We use Bobcat because of the dealer support in my area. I'm not brand specific just go with whatever haas good support in your area.

Don't go with a smaller frame/hp machine than 70hp and you won't be disappointed.

8. Breezy

Breezy Junior Member

Yes, that is correct. We plow with the storm. Thanks for all of your input.

9. Breezy

Breezy Junior Member

Would a Kubota M95s Tractor with loader arms and a 10' blade be as effective as a 70+ hp skid steer with a 10' blade?

10. PALS Landscapin

PALS Landscapin Senior Member

Buy a 244J Derre. I have skids and mini loaders and the 244 is the best bang for the buck.