1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

skid steer chains.... All tires or just two?

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment' started by ProWorkz.com, Dec 13, 2004.

1. Do you guys that own skid steer chain up all the tires? Or just two?
  2. Dwan

Dwan Senior Member

If they will be only on ice or snow then you can get away with just the 2 back ones but if there is any dry pavment then I would suggest all 4.

I have run 3 each 975 bobcats for 20 plus years and never had a problem this way.
  3. 2004F550

2004F550 Senior Member

2 on the front, its unstoppable
  4. Dwan

Dwan Senior Member

I have found you are right about 2 on the front been unstopable but as soon as you dump your load the weight transfers to the back and with no chains on the back you may not gotten your self to far into a situation to recover. besides when I am scraping the front wheels are off the ground. Some situations it is better to have them on the front but I have found on the back works best for the way I use the skid steer. Be sure to try bothways.
  5. chains

I use a blower almost 95% of the time. My blower weighs 875 pounds, so it really helps out for traction up front. I have been running chains on all tires. But I figure I might be able to run just two tires chained and have good results.. Thanks for info...
    Last edited: Dec 13, 2004
  6. Sno Munky

Sno Munky Junior Member

I use 1 set of chains in simalar operations, on dirt or gravel

On dry pavement use non, unless you want to pay the DOT or Property Owner for the marked up, grooved concrete! :nono:
    ------------------------------------------------------------sno munky MN
  7. Dwan

Dwan Senior Member

In this case I also would run them on the front as that is ware the weight is always at. You might also try to find a tire shop that will sipe your tires for aditional traction without the chains.
  8. chains

Dwan, you're saying I should just run the front tires chained? The first snow fall we had was back in October and I had just used the front chains. It seemed like it worked well. But this is the first year I have owned my own skid steer so I chained up the entire machine, not really knowing what to expect.... I would much rather be able to get away with just on set of tires chained up. I will try the fronts only next storm and see how things go........

But one thing I have noticed in my CAT. If I idle down a little and stay off the gas it seems to have plenty of traction even with no chains. Biggest concern for me is to try and keep the asphalt from getting to marked up..... Thanks for the input......

9. Dwan

Dwan Senior Member

I was saying if you have to run chains at all. I personaly would reather not run chains, (it is hard on the bearings, and my butt) that is why I have had all my tires siped. I also have a custom set of recaps with metel lath shavings molded into the rubber for when it gets real slipery.
    I would run my chains on the back for scraping, loading, pushing, and most any aplication ware you unload the bucket. I would run them on the front ware the load is fixed on the front and you stay on hard ground only if needed.
  10. Siped

Can someone please show me what a "Siped" tire looks like? Never heard of "Siped" tires until this forum... Thanks...
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2004
  11. Ok

So where can I get a sipe gun? I have searched the net but can not find any info on puchasing a sipe gun. Thanks...
  12. Also

So as I see it, skid steers tires are going to spin no matter if you have chains or not. Being the nature of the machines design....That is how it turns.. So would spinning tires with chains on all winter long cause more damage to the machine (drive chains, bearings, ect) than the extra traction is worth? Like I posted before, this is my first year plowing on my own. So my experience is limited with my new skid steer. I plowed snow for a guy in my area for 6 years running his skid steer. And he always had all tires chained up...... I am going to run with no chains next storm and see how it goes....... Thanks for the help guys....

13. Plowing Dutchman

Plowing Dutchman Junior Member

Buy yourself some snow wolf tires, you'll be amazed, chains can do a LOT of damage. The snow wolfs have been great on our machines, 24" blizzard no problems. All machines have snow wolfs and blizzard 810 plows.
  14. Dwan

Dwan Senior Member

15. Help

Thanks again for the info guys....... Can I get a link for snow wolf tires?

Last edited: Dec 14, 2004
  16. rob1325

rob1325 Senior Member

I was wondering, for those of you that run chains on your skid steer, how badly do they ruin the pavement? I have a 262 and would like to put some on the back, but after reading some posts, I am unclear if I would mess up the pavement. Anyone ever put E -rated snow tires on there machine? I have seen the snow wolf tires, anyone use them yet?

Last edited: Dec 21, 2004
  17. timm9

timm9 Senior Member

I'm not sure what you mean by "E rated". I just has studded mud & snows installed on my Toolcat. The size is 235/75-15 and they are much better than the tires that came on the unit and the weight is rated at 9000 lbs.
  18. Dwan

Dwan Senior Member

I have never ruined any pavment using chains. I do not spin the tires, and only use them on the back. I also never would use chains on new (less then 1 year old) pavement.
    We have not had enough snow in the last 4 years to require me to put chains on. I have my tires siped before the season which also reduces the requirement for chains. although I do have a few sets waiting if needed. also this year I am going to try a set of recap tires with walnut chells cast into the tread, like older sawdust tires. I have been using them on my plow trucks and like them.
    As far as rated tires on the bobcat, They dont have to be DOT approved but do have to be load rated anything over the rating of the machine is a total waste.
  19. earthwerks

earthwerks Junior Member

I bought some ice studs at an ATV store. They look like a hex-head sheet metal screw that's about 3/4" long but have the the center of the head ground out to form two cutting edges inside the head. I bought them for my backhoe to do snow stacking but found that without 4 wheel drive it doesn't make sense to use it as the front tires just slide sideways across the icey pavement, and the rears lift up. (It's not a full size backhoe--about 7,000 lb.)
  20. HBProLandscape

HBProLandscape Junior Member

Run Naked...

Never had to run chains durning a snow season on my 773G turbo skid-steer. I've loaded 10 wheelers, stacked, pushed, salted and even pulled a couple trucks out in both wet and compacted snow.

Feathering the controls (fwd. rev. motion) when the tires start to slip, always seems to work for me and my operators.