1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Skid steer cabs

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by hosejockey4506, Feb 7, 2010.

1. hosejockey4506

hosejockey4506 Senior Member

2. Ropinghorns

Ropinghorns Senior Member

I have 2 of these. They work fine when hauled in reverse. Acts as a kite when hauled with door forward. Mine looks like this, but I got it from Bobcat for about the same price 2 years ago. So I do not know the difference.

3. RLM

RLM PlowSite.com Addict

There are actual cab kits as well, Curtis comes to mind, maybe Sims as well, glass or plexi rather than boat vinal. Mine both have factory enclosures.

4. jomama45

jomama45 PlowSite.com Addict

I've never used one of those, only the factory cabs, which are ideal IMO. My major concern with that kind of set-up would be teh lack of a wiper.

5. shaffecv

shaffecv Junior Member

Company I work for is a New Holland dealer. We cringe when a Cab Depot/ Sims box shows up in the shop because it means a salesman is saving a few hundred on a cab kit but we're going to spend 2-3 more hours making it fit. Go with the OEM kit if possible.

6. Comet

Comet Senior Member

I just recently purchased an enclosure, I went with the acrylic
    Installed it last week, the wiper is on back order
    I was expecting to have rope hooks and S hooks for the door but it actually came with a door lock / key

http://www.fremar.com/products/ez2cyinfo.html

7. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

Hey Comet, let me know how that door works for ya. I was on the phone with the guy from the one site and we were talking about the different acrylics,bla,bla,bla. He seemed to be a good guy but I can buy a piece of .025 acrylic at Lowe's for around 65 bucks but he said "that type" will scratch.

8. Brian Young

Here's what I did. I have searched high and low for a used factory enclosure but I am goose egg for about 100,lol. I looked at the vinyl but I need a wiper too. I also looked at the enclosure from Skiksteer Solutions and they want way too much. I went to a local Lowe's, found .080 sheets of acrylic got measurements and they cut both sheets for free (for the sides) I also bought stainless steel nuts, bolts and washers. I also bought rubber washers to go on both sides of the acrylic in between the washers. Both sides costs me $65.48,(which included all nuts, bolts etc.) plus $3.00 for a new drill bit. As far as a door, the site that Comet has in his post is the actual company that makes the enclosure for skidsteer solutions. He wants 500.00 for just the door. He said the door comes with a wiper, locking handle with keys. If you need a door with a wiper this is the way to go. One thing I might do to my sides is use the weather strip I bought to go around the side windows so there isn't so much vibration. If you go this route, make sure you drill the holes at least an inch away from the sides if possible. The Acrylic will crack! Mine has cracked on the bottom where the sheet hit a seem weld. Any more questions just pm me.

9. Brian Young

Yeah NO THANKS! I'll spend an extra hour (if needed) to make it fit right vs. spending around $2500.00 for an OEM.

10. jomama45

jomama45 PlowSite.com Addict

That sounds like a pretty good plan, but if you plan to spend any amount of time in there, I would think about devising a way to let some fresh air in when needed. I rarely, if ever, run my skid w/o both windows cracked open. The glass fogs up almost immediatly from your breath.

Good Luck. :salute:

11. Brian Young

Yeah I hear they fog up pretty quick but with a small equipment fan circulating the air I would think you would be ok. I could always drill small holes in the side windows for ventilation, a few at the top and maybe a few near the bottom. One thing that helps fogging over is any liquid shampoo. We used to wipe on shampoo on our hockey face masks (back in the day,lol) obviously wipe it off and the film it left kept the fog from forming.

12. Comet

Comet Senior Member

Thats my next step is seeking an affordable heater,
    The main thing so far is IM out of the wind, snow flying back at ya and fowl weather from what I had experienced
    I used it without an enclosure 4 times this year,
    Yes I wish i could have afforded the 3000+ but just couldnt
    I will take a picture soon and post it

13. Brian Young

Hey Comet, that guy told me $143.00 for a 12,500BTU heater when I bought the door from him. Thats by far the best price on the heater Ive seen. Also does your skid steer have an open floor where the pedals are? Mine does, they make a kit to enclose those as well from the dealer as well for 100 bucks.

14. Comet

Comet Senior Member

Uhm the floor is not open, there is an opening below the door however in which they have some canvas material there so the door can swing open if thats what your referring to

I took the cardboard box it came in and drew out templates of the sides if ever needed

I tried drilling a hole in one of the sides and it did crack on me, I patched it up with another sheet and adhesive

15. Brian Young

No I meant down by your feet, assuming you have foot controls. Mine is open under my pedals and tons of cold air blows through there. I didn't know if your kit came with anything to block out the air under there. I drilled my sides with no problems. I just put a piece of 2x4 under where I was drilling. Acrylic sides are cheap tho. Like I said, I went to Lowe's and it was only like 20 bucks for a sheet and they only needed to trim off a few inches so there wasn't a lot of waste.

16. Comet

Comet Senior Member

Brian
    Was that by any chance Rick from Fremar
    So you did purchase a door?
    Did you get the heater also?