1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Skid Steer Brand Poll

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment' started by vamootsman, Feb 21, 2010.

What Brand/brands of large skid steers do you use/prefer? 75hp or larger only.

Poll closed Mar 7, 2010.
  1. John Deere

8 vote(s)
  2. Case

5 vote(s)
  3. New Holland

11 vote(s)
  4. Bobcat

30 vote(s)
  5. Gehl

3 vote(s)
  6. CAT

19 vote(s)
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. vamootsman

vamootsman Senior Member

What brand do you use, 75hp or larger only.
  2. plowzilla

plowzilla Senior Member

UHMMM, I think most of us own 60 HP or under for snow removal. And if you do another poll, you should add the ASV. I am in the operating engineers union and have ran several brands of skidsteers. I recently added an ASV rc-60 to my fleet and it has been the best so far. I run an 8' Boss with the wing attachments on it. The tracking system works great in snow so they would get my vote.
  3. ajslands

ajslands 2000 Club Member

Ehh, I can't decide between cat and bobcat
  4. rob_cook2001

rob_cook2001 2000 Club Member

Make the smart decision and pick bobcat :}
  5. jomama45

jomama45 PlowSite.com Addict

It's his poll, I think he can list w/e size machine he wants. And as for for the smaller machines, I don't see that around here. Most machines dedicated to a site are 75+ HP.

On a side note, how fast can a ASV 60 travel?
  6. vamootsman

vamootsman Senior Member

I am looking at 2 on site Skids, 1 with a 10ft and the other with a 12ft or 14 ft pusher. A large Blade is not out of the question either. The largest lot is 14-15 acres plowable if we do it all. I don't want a wheel loader as I would have no use for it other than winter, but the skids I can find work for a lot easier. There are a lot of other 5+ acre lots all in a square mile that I plan to bid on also, so would have lots of work withing reasonable driving distance even with a SKID as long as its a 2 speeder. They more than likely will be wheeled machines. Hope those details help.
  7. snocrete

snocrete Banned

Shouldnt he list it as "Terex"? That would be what they are now called....

They have a 2speed option on that machine...putting it at 11 or 12 mph.?..? Whats strange is that a ASV/Terex salesman told me that they dont offer 2sp on the 70, but they do on the bigger machines....why they would skip 2sp option on the 70 is beyond me.
  8. jomama45

jomama45 PlowSite.com Addict

Looking at their site, it seems they only have 2 speeds on the 80 & 100 sized machine. !1-12 is right for those though. I maybe confused with the Cat MTL's that only do 9 MPH in high speed.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2010
  9. snocrete

snocrete Banned

My bad....I just checked myself.....the "RC" 60 is only 8mph.........I was thinking "PT" 60 (which is what replaced the rc series i think), and it has a 2sp that goes 11mph.
  10. Mackman

Mackman PlowSite.com Addict
    from S.E. PA

11. vamootsman

vamootsman Senior Member

I'm seriously looking at CASE just for the reason that there is a dealer about 3/4 of mile from home, (but 12 miles from plow control central:)). They are 5th in the Poll though.
  12. Mackman

from S.E. PA

The paving company i worked for had 2 cases. They were great and tuff.. No maintenance was ever done on them and they followed a milling machine around 10+hours a day. If i was going to buy a skid steer it would be a CASE.
  13. sidthss

sidthss Senior Member
    from GR MI

Its not always just about what other people like, it is about dealer quality, service....
    Its hard for me to make an opinion about something because of other peoples opinions, go and test a few, see what fits you best.
    My vote was also for bobcat.
  14. plowzilla

plowzilla Senior Member

I suggested he change the poll because nobody responded after a day and a half. And I highly disagree on your site assessment. Skid steers 65hp and under outsell the bigger ones on a 4 to 1 basis. Also, most landscapers with skid steers and who plow, have very little need for a bigger machine.

As far as: "It's his poll, I think he can list w/e size machine he wants."

Just trying to help his poll out big brother:confused:
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2010
  15. vamootsman

vamootsman Senior Member

I didn't start this poll as a place to argue about size, so do that at the bar for your prospective one nighters! Just kidding guys. I need big Skids, period. I just want to see what people prefer. I didn't even ask for comments, but appreciate them if they pertain to what I'm asking about, as I have a ton of respect for a lot of the experienced guys in the business that post here. I still have no idea what I'm going to get. Bobcat is blowing everything else out of the water according to the poll, but that could be because of brand awareness, as a lot of people around here think a Skid Steer is a "Bobcat". Time to start visiting dealers.
  16. Mackman

from S.E. PA

Dont Leave Case out.:drinkup:
  17. Peterbilt

Peterbilt Senior Member
    from IA.

First. I don't think its the power, its the speed and weight that make the most difference while pushing a box. Just IMO.

A 14ft box on any large skid is going to be a bad plan. Its going to be way to much weight to push.

Even a 12ft isn't a good idea if you get into a wet, heavy snow.

I like my 10ft units. I can use them every snow on any of my skids, wether its on a 60 horse unit or an 80 horse. You can go faster in a light event and still not have any trouble in a heavy snow.

I have ASV machines RC50, PT60 and a PT80.

My 80 in high will travel at about 15 MPH, the 60 in high will go about 12 or so, and the 50 has a single speed and goes something like 8 mph. I still think its one of the fastest single speed units out there.

18. WIPensFan

WIPensFan PlowSite Veteran

In my area the landscapers and concrete guys use either Bobcat or Case. I do believe Bobcat is more popular here. I've always used Bobcat. Is Case cheaper than similar sized Bobcat?
  19. vamootsman

vamootsman Senior Member

Weight is very important as I'm aware of, which is why I'm looking at 8-9k lbs loaders with more power as opposed to 60hp loaders that weigh sub 7k (or close to 6k).
  20. vamootsman

vamootsman Senior Member

While price is important, I would rather pay more for the better suited loader. I haven't priced any of them yet.