1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Skid steer box on mini loader?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by cold_and_tired, Sep 23, 2010.

1. cold_and_tired

cold_and_tired PlowSite.com Addict

Would you guys shy away from putting a skid steer box on a mini loader? I may be able to get either a Cat 904H or 907H for the same lease price that I pay for a skid.

The 904H weighs about 10,000 lbs and has 54 hp. The 907H weighs about 12,000 lbs and has 70 hp. Do you guys think these machines are too heavy?

Ideally, I would like to use the 907 as it has a road speed of 21 mph. The 904 has a top speed of about 12 mph. I just wonder if 12,000 is too much weight behind my pusher.
  2. plowinli

plowinli Member

The visibility you have with a small loader is great and you will have no problem pushing a box. I have a 50hp loader and push a 10' sectional without any problems. It made it through two huge storms last year one was 29" and the other 21"( not normal for our area). In fact this year I am getting 12' sectional to speed things up for the small storms. Skids are great but I would not want to be backing up with one when businesses you are plowing are operating.
  3. cold_and_tired

cold_and_tired PlowSite.com Addict

I know that the machine wont have a problem pushing it, I was just concerned about a heavier machine crumpling the box like a tin can.
  4. leon

leon Senior Member

snow pusher etc.

The issue is if the thickness the steel on the snow pusher
    is the same as the loaders bucket as you will be stressing
    it the same way; plus the snow is 21 pounds per cubic foot
    or more if melted and compacted.

You could always take a half bite to see how it reacts or
    simply operate in a slower gear.

The steel thickness, bracing if any, and welds are the issue,
    as the loader has more useable power and tractive effort available
    than a skid loader of the same width.

You would want all four tires of the loader filled with rimguard or windshield
    washer fluid or calcium for extra weight anyway as the loader has limited slip
    differentials and to reduce skidding while pushing.
  5. Neige

Neige Sponsor

Go for it, the boxs are built strong enough. We have one compact and one mid size loader, I think there are amazing snow machines. You may find the mold board is not high enough, but ce3rtainly you can use it.
  6. forestfireguy

forestfireguy PlowSite.com Addict

I agree with Neige, do it. If you end up having to brace the box a little more(I dount it will be needed) it'll still be well worth a couple hundred bucks of welding in the increase in production over a skidsteer. Operator comfort is also much better in a loader at least IMO. Nothing's worse than having a skidsteer spinning all 4 with a full pusher and having back out and take bites to finish your run.