1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

skid steer and pusher sub prices

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by topgunn, Jan 7, 2009.

1. topgunn

topgunn Junior Member

just curious what a skid steer and 8 or 10 ft pusher would sub for in my area or others.

considering adding one to my arsenal

any other advice on this subject would be helpful

rubber or steel?

anyone tried the protech reversible pusher?

thank you

2. illiniplower

illiniplower Member

I've got a plow and an 82'' bucket and I get about $125 hr. Considering a pusher for next year also

3. Salisbury1975

Salisbury1975 Junior Member
    from Detroit

Pay them 70% of the plowing portion of the contract You can't lose. They'll find a way to make money at it. We never pay subs by the hr. too many ways for dihonest people to milk you. Fix your costs.

4. Ramairfreak98ss

Ramairfreak98ss PlowSite.com Addict

i agree.. We DO sub work and we also do hourly work and have this type of equipment..

We work pretty fast, we're efficient and i have everything on our trucks possible to keep things going as smoothly as can be.. Why do i want to work for some low hourly rate like $80 an hour then? That means $800 after a 10hr storm, lol. I can make that snow blowing 2 driveways an hour residentially with a 2k blower and my oldest 2x4 pickup truck :/

We can get anywhere north of $200+hr for an 8' push box on our accounts with a 2hr minimum.

Now if i had to use the same tractor and push box or 84" 3/4 yard bucket, i probably would go as cheap as $140hr /2hr minimum per site as long as i had the time to do the work. Of course we couldnt do this hourly if we got hit by a 30" storm and already would have it busy for 30hrs on end on our own accounts.

It also depends on how quickly the operator works etc. If i was paid hourly, why try to rush anything? id sit in middle gear and let it pur at 6mph, yet it does about 15mph if there wasnt much load. Thats why its better to pay per job than hourly.

We have hourly contracts and per visit... i tell my employees, "these" sites we need to be in and out of there quickly, the hourly ones, DONT rush. I didnt spend MORE for 9' plows and heavy trucks to push a TON of snow in parking lots for $100 when i could have an F150 there with a 7' plow and eat up enough time to make $200.

5. xtreem3d

xtreem3d PlowSite.com Addict

if you get paid by the job how does it work on an all day long snow where you need to continually path it open , then plow out at the end of the storm?
    steve

6. Salisbury1975

Salisbury1975 Junior Member
    from Detroit

On snows over 8" we can charge by the hr, and you could pay a sub that way. Or on say a 9" snow fall pay the sub for two 4-8" pushes. Kinda sucks if its snowing during the day and we have to push more than twice but generally you can break it down by occurances and you should always be ok paying subs by the job. This isnt to hurt subs, just keep things fair all the way around. Our subs love being paid like this. They actually make more money per hr.

7. BillyRgn

BillyRgn Senior Member

paying the subs by the job gets the job taken care of as long as the operator takes pride in the job, hourly you run into people taking there time but generally do a good job to log in the hours. if you pay by the job you end up with guys rushing threw the acounts to make as much money in as little time as possible, unless you get a good operator that takes pride. i would rather pay by the job so i always no how much money that i will make and that i will not lose money, however there are some people that i would never pay per job.