1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

skid snow blower

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by lawnkale, Nov 17, 2013.

1. lawnkale

lawnkale Senior Member
    from Indiana

looking for advice on snow blowers for skidsteers...mine isnt high flow....bobcat is saying it makes a huge difference.....anyone have insight?

also any used ones out there??

2. XYZSnowPros

XYZSnowPros Member

3. zlssefi

zlssefi Senior Member

I have an s185 non high flow bobcat running a 72" schulte two stage snowblower. The biggest factor in purchasing a snowblower is matching the hydraulic motor capacity to your machines hydraulic capacity. my bobcat puts out 17 gpm, and we matched it with a 5.5 cubic inch hyd motor, works great!

4. to_buy

to_buy Senior Member

BEWARE once you buy one it will never snow. We bought one and saw no real snow yet since we have it on the machine

5. sthoms3355

sthoms3355 Member
    from Detroit

We have two high flow skids (1997 NH LX885 and 2004 JD 260) w/84" high flow blowers. My guys very seldom turned on the high flow pumps. We just bought a CAT std flow skid w/std flow blower. I did much research with snow blower manufacturers, skid steer manufacturers and guys on here and decided it wasn't worth the extra $3500-5000 more for the set up. If you are in a high snow area and/or plan on using the blower for long/deep runs than the high flow might be worth it. Here in Detroit we average 40" with very few 12"+ storms. We use are blowers for short run driveways (20-50'max).

DSCN2566 (2).jpg

DSCN3104 (2).jpg

6. sthoms3355

sthoms3355 Member
    from Detroit

here is the CAT

7. Dodge3500

Dodge3500 Junior Member

If there was a picture of your cat skid, I don't think it posted.

8. bbct001

bbct001 Member

As stated above, your fine with low flow as long as you match up the hydraulic motor. For an S185, a 66" blower with a 5.5 or 6.2 motor is a good setup, you'll be happy with it.

9. snocrete

snocrete Banned

What about a S590 w/ high flow?

10. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

How can one tell if their skid (purchased used) has high flow or not? Bigger lines?

11. snocrete

snocrete Banned

Part number search I would imagine? But you can always just hit the "high flow" switch and see if it does anything lol.

AFAIK, typically the pump itself is the only difference on a skid??????

12. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

Well, if there is a switch that needs to be activated, I'd hazard a pretty good guess that I don't have one! :rolleyes: But that makes it really easy to tell I guess!

I suppose none of the skids I've ever operated ever had it either....

13. snocrete

snocrete Banned

I know on my bobcats you press the aux hyd button once(standard flow is activated), twice(highflow is activated), 3rd press shuts it back off.

14. sthoms3355

sthoms3355 Member
    from Detroit

Last edited: Nov 21, 2013
  15. rob1325

rob1325 Senior Member

16. bbct001

bbct001 Member

Not quite. On bobcats, one push is variable flow and 2 is max flow. Variable slows the flow a little bit to start, good for things like grapples and plows. There is a separate switch for hi-flow. If you push the Hi flow button and the light comes on, you have it. No light, no hi flow. All of the machines have the same console, so just having the hi flow button does not equal hi flow equipped.

Other brands vary. I believe bobcat is one of the few using the same couplers for lo and hi flow, most other brand hi flow machines will have 5 or more hydraulic couplers up front, 2 low, 2 hi, and a case drain.

snocrete, for an S590 high flow you want a 9.6 motor. An 8.0 would also work, but IMHO the 9.6 is the way to go.

17. sthoms3355

sthoms3355 Member
    from Detroit

We like the FFC. Haven't tried the CAT yet, but looks like great construction. Studied a lot before made the purchase.