1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Skid Size Question

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by SnowMatic, Oct 28, 2015.

1. SnowMatic

SnowMatic Member
    from USA

Anybody know if a Cat 242D has a enough 'umpf' to push a 8ft pusher loaded to the tilt.
    Worse case scenario wet/heavy snow, drifted 2 to 3 ft in areas. 200 to 400 ft pushes.

Thanks

2. JimMarshall

JimMarshall Senior Member
    from NW PA

As long as it's a 2 speed, I would say definitely. It could stand to be heavier, but it's not power that you need from my understanding.

3. WIPensFan

WIPensFan PlowSite Veteran

Same HP as my Bobcat S650, but weighs 1300lbs less. You should be fine pushing an 8'er. I have pushed a 10'er through 15"+ drifting for over 300'. Of course the Wolf Paw tires help quite a bit.

4. FredG

FredG 2000 Club Member

You should be fine. It's just not a hp thing. Your weight has something to do with it. If you have some trouble you will figure out how to get it there. It's not uncommon to lose traction or have enough umpf in a skid steer. Even a wheel loader will lose traction or not have enough umpf under certain conditions.

5. Brad3403

Brad3403 Senior Member
    from Alberta

With snow tires it'll do much better.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2015
  6. FredG

FredG 2000 Club Member

The right snow or all around tire is important. This is a awesome tire not just for snow.12-16.5 Solideal lifemaster 10PR
    4- 268.00 apiece

4 Titan WhL. 16.5x9.75 8-8-6.008-1.39IN-6 3/4'' offset $94.00 apiece
    Mount tires $40.00
    Shipping cost $105.00 I bought the rims and all, I had them heavy foam filled they suck in the snow. If I'm in danger of nails etc. I just switch.

He has cheaper nice tires not good in snow. I use these tires year round no issues. <bri@mwesales.com>

7. Bossman 92

Bossman 92 PlowSite.com Addict

Where did you find those tires? If you posted a link I don't think it worked

8. FredG

FredG 2000 Club Member

Midwest Equipment sales
    808 Rhoads Ave
    columbus, OH 43205

Matthew Smith
    account manager
    www.mwesales.com
    614 233 7368

9. Bossman 92

Bossman 92 PlowSite.com Addict

Awesome thanks!

10. SnowMatic

SnowMatic Member
    from USA

Gonna go with 2 speed with anything I get.
    That was my main concern I guess, that it just wasnt the horsepower but the weight of the machine also.

Whats a set of wolf paws run?

Not sure how much snow tires are gonna cost me exactly, but for the cost of new tires would I be better off putting the $'s toward a heavier machine vs putting snow tires on?

11. FredG

FredG 2000 Club Member

Even the heavier machine will require the right tire to push snow. Tires and rims $1500.00. to upgrade to a heavier machine will be a lot more than that. Your machine will work.

12. SnowMatic

SnowMatic Member
    from USA

Would buying the external counter weights for the 242D help much in adding to the weight of the machine.
    Not sure how much weight its gonna add as I cant find anything on how much they weigh and how many you can put on.

13. FredG

FredG 2000 Club Member

Make sure you got some good tires, Not foam filled a tire with air. Foam filled suck and are to heavy you will spin and not have good traction. I can't speak of counter weight I know of no one that has done this.

Just keep up with the storms. Don't think you got a 988. Don't leave piles if you lose traction or umpf. Clean up what you got before you continue. Its somewhat simple once you learn. You can be taught the basics the tricks you will learn on your own. I can appreciate your concerns and the research you are doing. Don't be worried. When I said weight has something to do with it I did not want to scare you off. Good Luck

14. Brad3403

Brad3403 Senior Member
    from Alberta

Find a dealer for "Specialty Tires Of America". The 7.50 -16LT Super Traxion, They work great in the snow. This size can be run on any size skid.

15. Doin_It

Doin_It Senior Member
    from Mt.

We had a 246B, 2 speed, pushing a 10' Protech. Our largest lot that machine pushed on was a Costco. So long runs was the norm. A 242 has 74 gross HP and weighs about 7000 lbs. A 246 has 82 HP and weighs 7200 lbs. So power to weight a 246 is better off. With you pushing an 8' will be no problem at all. You won't need extra weights either, in my opinion.

What we found is with wet heavy snow we'd always run out of traction. We ended up quickly changing tires from stock to the Solideal Lifemaster skid steer tire. Night and day difference. We like them so much that when we got rid of the 246B this year we took the 3 year old tires off and put them on the brand new 272D and gave the new tires to the buyer.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2015
  16. SnowMatic

SnowMatic Member
    from USA

Thinking on this some, wouldn't the external weights create more tire wear on the back tires?

Ok so if I do a 242 with snow tires (assuming $1500) im about 5gs short of a 262. Counter weights I was told were about $1300 so IF i do counter weights on the 242 then im about 3800 short of having a heavier machine. If I have wet heavy snow then the heavier machine would be better, but I may still need snow tires on the 262....:dizzy:
    another question would be, how much height does the snow tires add to the machine.

17. Doin_It

Doin_It Senior Member
    from Mt.

The Lifemaster's don't add any height.

So here's my argument.....Due to EPA on the engines, you notice the 242D and 262D both run the same engine, but 262 is about 1,100 more pounds in weight. It's not till the 272 that you get a HP jump, no more 80 HP models. Check the other manufactures, they'er in the same boat.

If we use the old power to weight argument, you're using more HP just to move more mass of the second machine. Do you need more weight, I don't think so, I believe you need more traction, hence you always hear guys saying what a difference they found when everything else stayed the same but they changed tires on their skid. You'll handle an 8' no problem, maybe if it's to wet and heavy you'll need to upgrade rubber. We've found hanging weight off the back is more useful when there is major weight hanging off the front...like unloading pallets etc. When you're pushing a box you tend to have more weight on the back if you have to much pressure on the box.

The 1 problem you will have is if you ever run a machine with a 10' box you'll wish you were pushing that extra 2' and will dislike the 8' from there forward.

We've gone to a 10' Metalpless LiveBoxx on a 272, and a 10x16 LiveEdge on a 272 XHP.....ask me in January how it's all working.

18. SnowMatic

SnowMatic Member
    from USA

Ok thanks,

See you went from a 246 radial lift to a 272 vertical lift. I noticed alot of guys go with vertical lift machines and not many radials for pushing snow. Is there a reason? Is there a lot of difference?

19. JimMarshall

JimMarshall Senior Member
    from NW PA

I would imagine it is due to their advantages in the off season when they don't have a pusher attached.

20. Doin_It

Doin_It Senior Member
    from Mt.

Horsepower....We had 906 Cat loaders but they are a pain to load and move. You need a 4500 or F450 min, and we don't need that size of truck for anything so just easier to get a larger skid.