1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Skid Shoes

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by KC2LLW, Jan 4, 2009.

1. KC2LLW

KC2LLW Member

I have just put a old Meyers ST-72 Plow with a E46 on my 54 Willys CJ3B I plan to just plow my paved driveway and a little unpaved dirt road do I need to use skid shoes for the plow?
  2. bald-boss

bald-boss Junior Member
    from Mn

I had a meyers poly plow until 2 years ago and I would put the shoes on it set them so the blade was just barely off the ground ona level surface. It saves you from hitting the little blemishes on the ground and keeps from shaving the yard for spring clean up. But I have seen a lot of people never use them. I will say I used the same plow for 14 years around 8 to 10 hours per snow fall (in mid Mn) and I never had to replace the cutting edge, I did go through 1 set of shoes. But the cost of shoes was a lot less than a new cutting edge.

Ford F250 7.3 D
    Boss 7.6 V-plow
  3. KC2LLW

KC2LLW Member

Thanks for the help bald-boss
  4. CityGuy

CityGuy PlowSite Fanatic

If the gravel drive is frozen than no need for shoes. I prefere not to run them and get a better scrape on the paved accounts,
  5. zztarg

zztarg Member

I run shoes on on gravel / off on pavement. I find that here in Southern MA it often warms up enough between storms that the top layer of gravel can thaw out enough that "shoes off" takes off the top layer in the next storm.