1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

"Skid Shoes" Do you uese them?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Daner, Feb 6, 2006.

1. Daner

Daner PlowSite.com Addict

When useing round skid shoes...How high should the cutting edge be off the ground.
    I have all my washers in and the blade is still totching the ground[
    I Do alot of long gravel driveways and i dig in some times when its soft
    ANY HELP OR COMMENTS??/FONT]

2. Mark Witcher

Mark Witcher Senior Member

I start the day with the shoes about 1/4 inch below cutting edge. By the end of the plowing route the blade is in full contact with the pavement.
    If you have all the washers on the bottom and the blade still touches the ground, then the shoes are wornout or you have the wrong brand of shoes for your plow.
    I dont plow any gravel drives until there is a packed snow base or the ground is froze hard.Gravel drives are a real pain:cry: .especially deep loose gravel.

3. oldmankent

oldmankent PlowSite.com Addict

I think the shoes are supposed to wear down with the cutting edge. So, when the plow and truck are on flat ground both the cutting edge and the shoes touch. I personally run my shoes above the blade so if the blade digs in too much they will prevent the blade from digging in more by contacting the plow surface. Doesn't really work though. Usually the blade just trips. I think most people run without shoes.

4. crazymike

crazymike Senior Member
    from Toronto

On my main route in the city, I don't use shoes. It's all ashphalt. I have one strip of gravel, 100' single lane. If it's not frozen, I just backdrag it. It's horrible pea gravel.

When I do gravel/dirt driveways near my house, I put the shoes on. I run about 10 washers on top. That leaves about 1/2" to an 1" of snow on top of the gravel. You still have to feather the blade because it will dig in regardless of the shoes if it's too soggy. If you leave a bit of snow the first plowing, it will freeze flat and usually fill in ruts and holes.

I would make sure you have enough washers. The ones you take out have to go back on top, or vice versa.

5. Daner

Mark this is a brand new this year Western V plow...I had all ready taken it back to the dealer and they changed the attack angle...But now the shoes just totch the ground.... I think that with all the washers in..there should be at least 1/2 clearance between the cutting edge and the ground suface
    ANY input whould be gratefull:)

6. bjucka2

bjucka2 Junior Member
    from Mass

Take em off. We run 4 residential plow trucks, all Fisher, ones a v, none have shoes on them, and no problems. Why do you need a cutting edge if it aint gonna toutch the ground?

7. ADMSWELDING

ADMSWELDING Senior Member

throw them out

lose the shoes there a joke:jester: they do nothing in my opinion.

8. crazymike

crazymike Senior Member
    from Toronto

for those who say lose the shoes. Have you ever tried to plow unfrozen gravel, mud, etc.. on uneven terrain?

Maybe with a trip edge, but with a full trip, it causes problems.

9. Daner

this is what i did

The post on the shoes were too short...So i just welded another 2" of round bar to extend it....Now if i want i can run the blade 1" over the top surface
    But i found the best setting to be about 3/8" below the cutting blade
    This seems to do a good clean job on the gravel...Its all packed down now since its gotten colder up here
    My next project will be to make a back drag blade for a V plow...
    any Ideas?????????

10. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

I set the blade up so the shoes are almost touching the ground. The blade wears to match the shoes and I get a clean push. and extend my wearedge life. once the match up I dont change or adjust them til they're worn out.

11. Daner

Basher: don't you find if you drop the shoes a bit for the gravel drives/lots that does a better job...buy leaving a bit of snow there to freeze??

12. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

It makes sense to me. I have limited experance plowing gravel. All my work is on pavement, though we do use rubber or Poly wearedges to deal with pavers in some locations.

13. crazymike

crazymike Senior Member
    from Toronto

This is what I do for gravel or dirt. Then, assuming you get a deep freeze after the storm, you will come back with a frozen packed snow as level as the concrete. Not always, but atleast a rut free surface.

14. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

With the crazy winter we have had this year there have not been to many times you can come back to find the driveway is still packed. Any sun at all and driving on the driveway is going to loosen up the packed snow.If the driveway is short enough to back drag the entire thing then that is best other then that let someone else do it.