1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Skid Questions

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment' started by bigviclbi, Dec 19, 2011.

1. bigviclbi

bigviclbi Junior Member
    from 08008

I bought a 2004 cat 232 this spring and am going to do snow removal for the first time this winter and had some general questions. I put new tires on it,what is everyone's opinions on chains? Are they necessary, or are there some snow conditions that they are better for than others? Looked on ebay, any differences in manufacturers that I should be aware of? It is an open cab, I was looking for a vinyl enclosure but didn't seem to find any that fit on cats only other machines. If I can't find a vinyl one probably will go with making my own with plexiglass for this winter and buying a full one next year. Any helpful hints on doing this? Any must haves for the machine in case of emergency repairs/getting stuck/etc? Thanks.

2. Maxamillion67

Maxamillion67 Member

I have a Cat 2002 242, it had an open cab but found a used door on ebay and a cat heater on plowsite. bought the rest of the parts from Cat, have about $1800.00 into the enclosed cab. I would look to see if you can find parts on ebay or from Cat and price them out over the vinyl cab enclosure.

I also bought a set of chains form my skid steer from tirechains.com. The chains help out alot, but I work a lot on gravel roads or pastures and not much pavement. The tire chains cost me about $200.00. If you plow aot of pavemant be careful with what you buy for chains, you may tear up the pavement. Good luck with what you decide to do.

3. lotus6six

lotus6six Junior Member
    from Chicago

Are you using to stack snow or push? We bought one for stacking only, and don't have problems.

4. bigviclbi

bigviclbi Junior Member
    from 08008

Pushing in a parking lot.

5. wseal

wseal Member

i would recomend puting beat juice in your tires. Helped us a lot having the extra weight.

6. Xforce 1

Xforce 1 Senior Member

I hope you have the traditional skid loader tires. I put the stiff, heavy lug tires on mine because I run tracks unless I'm pushing snow. I hate them for snow, they suck! I went with another set of wheels with truck tires on them. My local tire dealer happen to have a set of 6" wheels that fit. We'll see what happens. My machine is a Cat 246 and I put lexan on the sides and made a door by just cutting the size of the opening and then cut off the top just enough to clear the lights and the bottom to clear the loader arms, 2 sided taped them, and hinged the door. Hey, it works.:mechanic:

7. bigviclbi

bigviclbi Junior Member
    from 08008

Xforce any pics of the door setup it would help alot? Do you run over the tire tracks during summer? I need a set work in alot of sand and I bog down alot. Yeah just standaed tires.

8. Xforce 1

Xforce 1 Senior Member

I run grouser over the tire tracks and it sounds like you need loggoering tracks cause they float more than the grousers. Grousers dig. You may be able to see my tires in one of the pics that I run that suck on snow. Here's a few pics.

skid door 001.jpg

skid door 002.jpg

skid door 003.jpg

9. Xforce 1

Xforce 1 Senior Member

The reason for the double inside handles is because last year, I simply held the door on with bungee straps and hooked the staps to the handles.

10. DodgeBlizzard

DodgeBlizzard Senior Member

Does that hold up when you trailer it down the road? Just wondering. I'm in the process right now. Anything you would change if you had to do over again? And on your front door, can you explain what you've got going on at the bottom?

11. Xforce 1

Xforce 1 Senior Member

I trailer it only about 12 miles and it does fine facing forwards but I don't get over 45 mph cause of speed limits. The bottom is just the piece that is seperate so the door will clear the loader arms. I just didn't pull the protective film off of it. I really wouldn't change anything I don't guess, wish I had a wiper on it. I run a tractor but the guy that runs this machine usually don't have any problems. Beats the hell outa buying a factory door!

12. havenlax18

havenlax18 Senior Member

This is interesting because last year on my 763 and 773 I bolted on plexi-glass. This year I am going to bolt hinges and make swing out doors for the winter. Also on Monday on my s185 I put the OEM bobcat glass in the door frame, that sucked. Yesterday I made a trip up to the dealer for new wiper arms and a new wiper for the door because the wiper arms bent when the original glass shattered.

13. crazymike

crazymike Senior Member
    from Toronto

14. havenlax18

havenlax18 Senior Member

15. crazymike

crazymike Senior Member
    from Toronto

Would be easy enough to rig up. Wouldn't be any different than making your own cab and having to rig something up.