1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Skid question

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment' started by maximus44, Nov 12, 2009.

1. maximus44

maximus44 Senior Member

Do all skids have a float position for the bucket?
    And is it recomended to have the bucket float when using a pusher?
    I'm thinking that the pusher will contour the ground easier,and hitting sewers may be easier on pusher,machine and sewer grate.
    Thankstymusic

2. WIPensFan

WIPensFan PlowSite Veteran

My older Bobcats do not.

3. buckwheat_la

buckwheat_la 2000 Club Member

no, most skidsteers pre 2000 i believe didn't have it ( i could be wrong in this but my 1996 case 1840 doesn't have it, but 2003 40xt does

4. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Oh NO, not this again! :dizzy:

Think I'll just sit back before I give the answer.

:popcorn: :drinkup:

PS It is recommended by the mfg's to ONLY use float.

PPS No disrespect meant to the OP, this was just an interesting (to say the least) conversation the last time we had it.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2009
  5. merrimacmill

merrimacmill PlowSite.com Addict
    from MA

My case 85xt has it. It is kind of awkward thought because of those H pattern controls. JMO though.

6. snocrete

snocrete Banned

What years are they? You mean to tell me that if you press really hard with your left toe the pedal dosent pop forward and lock into float? I thought that was standard equip back in the mid - late 90's on all Bobcats?

Mark O, I was going to post, but maybe you should enlighten me before I proceed.

7. jomama45

jomama45 PlowSite.com Addict

From what I remember from last time this came up, the general concensus was that the float function DIDN'T work well on tractors, skids, loaders, etc... because the arms of the loader have a tendancy to raise/float far too often. It has to do with the geometry of the loader arms why they float-up undesirably.

8. buckwheat_la

as i had this explained to me, (and it could be wrong) as the bucket floats along, as the snow/material piles into the bucket, the tractor tries to push over top the bucket lifting the front of the tractor off the ground.

9. Mark Oomkes

Dangit, you took all the fun out of this one. :realmad: ;)

Here's the thread where I had no idea what I was talking about. Well, at least one of the threads that this is true.

http://www.plowsite.com/showthread.php?t=42416&highlight=float

10. snocrete

snocrete Banned

I have discussed this topic on another forum at one time.........float does cause the front wheels of SS's come off the ground. A SS will always be able to push more snow with all 4's planted on the ground.........this is one of the reasons you see such great reviews about pushers like Arctic, Bobcat, Snow Wolf, Etc(attachments that float/tilt/oscillate independently of the machine)...I said to someone the other day that it blows me away Protech and Avalanche havent come out with something that does this

11. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

Oh never mind.

12. Mark Oomkes

Come on Dave, don't wimp out on us.

13. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

197? JD170 has float. No cab or heat though......yet.

14. jomama45

jomama45 PlowSite.com Addict

Sorry Mark, just trying to help ween you off the blood pressure meds.

BTW, I probably use the float function plowing 90% of the time with my skid:
    It's called a CHAIN!
    (there's your new hot-topic Mark! :laughing:)

PS, Glad to see you were able to ride out Hurricane Ida w/o major issue. ;)

15. WIPensFan

The 743B is a 1992 I think and the 863 is a 1996. I guess I've never know about it if they do this. Let me know if they do. Thanks, sorry for posting wrong info if I did.

16. snocrete

snocrete Banned

They should.....next time your in one of em press really hard with your left toe on the pedal, it will pop into float.....then to take it out you pop it with your heal the other way.....I rarely use float, but there are certain grading/backdragging scenarios that I may use it on occasions for.

17. buckwheat_la

ok you caught me,,,,,,,,oh wait,,,,,,,,,didn't i already say i may be wrong in this:dizzy:

18. WIPensFan

Thanks, I'm trying it tomorrow! Don't know what I would use it for though.

19. WIPensFan

As it turns out Snocrete set me straight on the float function of my Bobcats. They do float. Your never to old to learn :eek:.