1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Skid Plates

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by plowbill, Feb 10, 2013.

1. plowbill

plowbill Junior Member

Just purchased a new 1500 Silverado and installed a Fisher 7' 6" SD plow. This truck does not have the plow package. Is it wise and therefore possible to add skid plates to the truck? I noticed the plow package has them with a few other things. Thanks.

2. ceptorman

ceptorman Senior Member
    from Indy

I would rather have the other parts of the snow prep package than skid plates...like high output alternator or upgraded power steering, heavier front suspension.

3. Zigracer

Zigracer Member

My last truck was a 2010 Silverado and I installed a Meyer STP 7.5. Here's the deal: That truck had the heavy duty towing package, which got me the high output alternator, tranny cooler, and it also had the off road package which, in addition to other things, got me skid plates.

Well, the skid plates had to come off to install the plow frame and couldn't be reinstalled without some very creative sculpting. The snow was brutal around here two years ago and I buried the truck a couple of times. I think that had there been any skid plates on the truck, it would have taken less snow to get under the truck and high center it.

BTW, I was very satisfied with that 1500 and the way it plowed. I only moved up to the 2500 this year because I just wanted to and they had 0% financing. I love my 2500, but might make a different decision today, just based on the great economy of the 5.3 alum block in the 1500. Best of luck.