1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

skid plates or not

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by pfeiff, Feb 8, 2005.

1. pfeiff

pfeiff Junior Member
    from ohio

I just started in the snow plow business doing a few residential driveways. I was wondering if i needed to use skid plates or not? thanks

2. Midwest BuildIt Inc

Midwest BuildIt Inc PlowSite.com Addict

no reason that i know of to need them. I dont think anyone on here will tell ya you need them for anything. BTW , welcome to plowsite.

3. ratlover

ratlover PlowSite.com Addict
    from IL

They are very nice to have on a truck but not necissary for plowing. I dont even off road my truck and it saved from me bashing my transfer case.

4. jhook

jhook Senior Member

I have my first truck now with the skid plates on. I plowed for 12 years with trucks that didn't have them. Not really required for plowing. I just got them on this truck because I ordered it custom factory built and basically threw on everything I felt like :cool:

5. wmsland

wmsland Junior Member
    from NE Ohio

Was out plowing one night, side streets had'nt been plowed all of a sudden bam hit this huge rock some jacka$$ had plowed out into the street and it couldn't be seen because of the snow in the street. If it wouldn't have been for the skid plates I would have lost the transfer case and the transmission. So when time came to buy a new truck it was the first option I picked out, wouldn't plow without them, you never know what some guys will leave out in the street.

6. osbo68

osbo68 Member

I think you mean the anti-wear shoes for your plow. we run them on all of our plows. They will help with the wear on your blade and are inxpensive to replace. WE set up the shoes so we have about 1/8 to 1/4 inch of space between the blade and asphalt when the vehicle is stopped. When you plow and there is snow in front of the blade it will cause a slight twisting motion in all of your components. Therefor causing your blade to contact the asphalt. But without excessive wear. Just my 2 cents worth. good luck

7. Doc_77

Doc_77 Junior Member

i had to help out on a different route once this year and pulling into one of the lots was a center divider. i was the first person in had no clue it was there .
    i ran right up on it. i had to drive about 50 feet dragging the bottom of my truck along the curb before i could get my front tires out of the island.
    it sucked but i didn't damage anything ! :drinkup: :drinkup: :drinkup:
    i guess you could say they are not needed but at times like that they would be very helpful !

8. redhenny16

redhenny16 Senior Member

I would not have skid plates on a plow truck. They collect a ton of snow and ice when running in deep snow. Not to mention mud, rocks and all kinds of other debris in the summer. I am a technician at a GM dealership and the trucks that come in in the winter sometimes have so much ice built up on the skid plates that you can't even see the transfer case.

9. drplow

drplow Senior Member

your right, i parked my truck in my garage to melt all that ice off and it was dripping for days. i went under my truck to find out that those plates collect snow and rocks like a snow shovel. i would never take them off because i do use my truck off road and it will help much more then.

10. TLS

TLS PlowSite.com Addict

I had a frozen basketball sized ICE/SNOWBALL hanging from my transfercase skid plate on the big storm a couple weeks back. I was real careful about removing it, as it also was frozen to the wires coming out of the transfercase. I ended up setting the torpedo heater there for a few minutes......no more snowball! :yow!:

11. dwmaster

dwmaster Junior Member

If your just a novice, plower Skid plates would be fine but as many hardcore plowers pointed out they collect melted snow dripping of the transmission and forms a block of ice. When you pull into a heated garage overnight it is not enough to melt the block of ice so it continues to build. even without one I've had my transmission become one with my frame. It causes quite a vibration in the truck.

12. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

Yeah I noticed the shoveling effect really bad this year- spring will find me adding to the factory plates. I am thinking a front lip to block some of that snow- factory plate only covers the bottom not the front of the transfercase. My vac lines to engage the front axle were in an ice ball at the transfercase- I was just waiting for them to come off from the weight but didn;t want to try chipping them incase I cut the line. My front axle truss has a small skid plate too and it collects tons of snow, but then again so does the entire axle tubes when on unplowed roads.