1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? Explore this quick video tour of updates and enhancements. It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Skid Plates on ATV Plow

Discussion in 'ATV / UTV Snow Removal' started by Turtle1231, Nov 19, 2008.

1. Turtle1231

Turtle1231 Junior Member
    from Ohio

I was curious if anyone doesn't use skid plates on there plows. I just installed a 60 inch Moose plow and with the skids on it will leave about 1 inch of clearance from the ground. I was wondering how quickly it will wear out the wear bar on the plow if I didn't run the skids so it would plow down to the pavement and leave no snow. Anybody see any problems with taking them off or should I just lower the height of the skids to maybe 1/4 inch?

2. EaTmYtAiLpIpEs

EaTmYtAiLpIpEs 2000 Club Member

I woudl take the skids off. if you have a steel wear bar it will last a few years. I took the skids off my atv plow and my truck plow.

3. Turtle1231

Turtle1231 Junior Member
    from Ohio

It won't hurt an asphalt drive way or concrete?

4. MAR4CARS

MAR4CARS Senior Member

Same here never used skids on my ATV or truck plows

5. TubedYota

TubedYota Member

I never used them on my quad plow.

6. skywagon

skywagon Senior Member

put the poly bar on and never worry about it again, mine in 5 years without skids shows no wear at all.ussmileyflag

http://i261.photobucket.com/albums/ii60/skywagon12/IMG_0674.jpg

7. Elwer Lawn Care

Elwer Lawn Care PlowSite.com Addict

Two only good options...

1. Take the skids off completly.
    2. Adjust so the skids are level with the wear bar, that way they both wear at the same pase an helps make the wear bar last longer.

8. TubedYota

TubedYota Member

I would have done this but for some reason my plow didn't come with them and it was supposed to. I haven't had that bad of wear on it though and I've had it since '00 and have done a lot more plowing than it's probably supposed to do

9. Zach

Zach Senior Member

Has anyone ever plow sidewalks with an ATV or tractor? does the blade catch on the cracks or ruin the sidewalk? should I use skids when I plow sidewalks?

10. Elwer Lawn Care

Elwer Lawn Care PlowSite.com Addict

Just angle the blade to the side and don't run fast so that if you hit a raised piece of concrete it wont do too much damage.

11. Zach

Zach Senior Member

okay, thanks

12. hondarecon4435

hondarecon4435 Senior Member

i have skids on mine but they are level with the wear bar

13. deere615

deere615 2000 Club Member

I don't have skid shoes on mine, it just wont clean as good. I have plowed sidewalks no problem, if you hit anything the plow will just trip

14. Turtle1231

Turtle1231 Junior Member
    from Ohio

Thanks guys! Skywagon where did you get your poly wear bar and what does it cost?

15. skywagon

skywagon Senior Member

Turtle, her you go. http://www.rubbercal.com/Poly_Blades.html
    Price is hinged on length and thickness, I have the 2.5 inch thick, they make 1-1.5-2- 2.5.

After years of plowing mine shows no wear at all and will not tear up driveways ect. The big highway plows in many states use this stuff and swear by it.xysportxysport

16. Beachernaut

Beachernaut Member

I use the shoes on mine, withe the cutting edge almost 1 1/2" off the ground.
    Of course, almost all of my plowing is done on gravel. On any asphalt or concrete, I'll pull the shoes off completely. Thank god I have quick disconnects.

17. JCGERB

JCGERB Junior Member

I had the skids set up so the blade was on the ground. I wore out 2 wear bars (just the edges from angled plowing) in one season. I then installed a cutting edge off a road grader. It was brand new on one end. No signs of an wear now. :)