1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Skid models to consider? (landscaping/snow)

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment' started by jbell36, Nov 12, 2010.

1. jbell36

jbell36 Senior Member
    from Kansas

i was wondering what models to consider for doing landscaping and snow...i would like something that you can put attachments on and a heated cab...bobcats seem to be the most popular and have a lot of attachments, but that doesn't mean i wouldn't consider a diff. machine...the bucket would probably be the main attachment although having forks and a auger would be nice, with potential to put on other attachments in the future

what's the main thing to look at when purchasing a bobcat? whats the difference between s185 and a 773t, for example...?
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2010
  2. jbell36

jbell36 Senior Member
    from Kansas

i guess i should have added this...more for commercial accounts and would probably have to trailer it the moajority of the time...
  3. Mick76

Mick76 2000 Club Member
    from Maine

Jbell36, so a search for skid steers as its been discussed before. I personally like Cat but many others like bobcat, and many more like a different brand. HIH

TKLAWN PlowSite Veteran

Get a 2 speed you be happy you spent the extra $$ in the long run.
  5. shooterm

shooterm Senior Member
    from Midwest

Stay away from tracks if you want to use it for snowplowing. Tracks can turn a versatile machine like a skidloader into pigeon holed equipment.
  6. rob_cook2001

rob_cook2001 2000 Club Member

Depends on how big you want to go but a S205 with 2speed would be a GREAT all around machine.
  7. snow7899

snow7899 Senior Member

Our S185 has worked out very well for all season use.
  8. merrimacmill

merrimacmill PlowSite.com Addict
    from MA

It really depends on what kind of landscaping you are doing, and how much money you can afford to spend on it.

If you do landscape installations, make sure you are getting a machine that can lift a full pallet of sod, pallet of pavers, wall block, etc... This is a HUGE advantage when doing landscape installations.

Now as far as snow, I don't feel a machine this large is necessary, but never a bad thing by any means. I'm just saying when plowing snow, it is rare you need the ability to lift 3000 + pounds. I have a case 85xt, which is a pretty large machine, and I put a 10 foot wide snow bucket on it and it still has never even noticed that its on the front. Its great to have that power while using it for snow, but not necessary, this is the point when it comes down to the $$.

But if you have a machine that can lift full pallets of product, you will find many more uses around for it than you though. I use mine like a forklift at the shop when its not out on a job. But everything from handling pallets of ice melt, bricks, pavers, wall block, sod, granite stair slabs, moving around any size of snow plow, spreader, pusher, etc.
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2010

SNOWLORD Senior Member
    from MN

We like S300's for all around use.
  10. G&T LAWN

G&T LAWN Senior Member

Just remember, you can do a small job with a big machine. But ant do a big job with a small one. I run Case 450s. Had bobcat and switched. Like the Case for faster hydralics and power. Also dealer has a lot with the purchase.
  11. snocrete

snocrete Banned

I agree. This is what I would be looking at "if trailering from site to site". This machine could also handle a 10ft pusher if equiped w/ dedicated snow tires, in the event you parked it on site down the road, or had a 10ft pusher that sat at 1 particular site and traveled with a different attachment(ex. plow/smaller pusher/snow bucket)

The S205 is also large enough to handle the weight of just about any palletized materials, especially if equipped w/ counterweight kit.

I also know from experience, Bobcat medium frame size SS's, w/ vertical lift arms, will load tandem dumps. I'm sure "some" of the other brands med frame machines can 2....just something to think about.
  12. rob_cook2001

rob_cook2001 2000 Club Member

I love my S300 for what I do 90% of the time. But there are times I have had to turn down work because my machine is to big, a lot of small jobs you can do with a big machine but some you just can not do.
    Towing my S300 in the winter is not to bad but a S205 would be a lot easier.
    I think a 2 speed S205 with snow tires and a 8ft snowwolf or kage plow/box combo would be a great set up.
    Like others have already said make sure to get a 2 SPEED!!!!
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2010
  13. mrsnowman

mrsnowman Senior Member

There really isn't one machine that can do it all. We have run an asv30 for years. We have front end loaders, bobcats, and tractors. The 30 gets more hours then anything else. It is heated with harley rakes, forks, augers, plows, and small pushers. Perfect for landscaping except it can only lift 700lbs or so. We bring in other equipment for skids. The tracks are great for the snow. The downfall is the ability to push large amounts of snow. Perfect for sidewalks and parking spaces. Larger asv's(now terex models) are good in snow also. Most track machines suck in snow, but these don't.
  14. icudoucme

icudoucme Senior Member

As long as the skid steer attachment you want to buy has a universal skid plate you can use it on any skid steer. You can but attachments anywhere for anything.

As a wise man once told me if you're going to get a Skid steer with a cab/heat spend the extra money for air conditioning. On a 65-70 degree day you can get pretty hot in the cab.

Two speed is a must for any many machine!

If you plan on doing a lot of snow blowing, brush cutting, soil conditioning, and post hole digging get High Flow hydraulics. Your higher productivity rates will pay for the extra option.

If you're going to be driving it on public roads or long stretches of private roads get the roading lights. Also air ride seat if it's an option for you. I would go for the Lexan/Polycarbonate door it might be a couple hundered more but you'll probably never break it.

I don't know how much you've researched skid steers there are alot of manufactures.
    My personal opinion based on resale value, total hours of use, expected maintenance, ease of maintenance, parts availability and dealer support.(dealer support in my area)
    John Deere wheeled or tracked
    Cat/Case (cat mtl for non rocky situations) wheeled or tracked for both
    New Holland (Wheeled)
    Gehl(/Mustang/ Takeuchi All tracked (gehl wheeled)
    Bobcat newer tracked any model wheeled.

I personally use a tracked machine http://www.plowsite.com/showthread.php?t=98939&highlight=snow+wolf
    I use it on sand in the spring for beach cleaning, I've gone threw a marsh/swamp with it without getting stuck. I also have used it to clear out old abandoned grape vineyards.(very uneven terrain. You can go more places with a tracked machine then a wheeled. I've never pushed alot of snow with a wheeled skid so i can't give a fair comparison. All I can say is I love my tracked machine. I

Tracks cost more per hour to operate then a wheeled skid due to maintenance and replacement cost . My cost per hour calculated by the dealer is $25.67 per hour providing I can get 2500 hours out of my tracks and I do all scheduled maintenance If you buy from a dealer they can give you an estimated cost of ownership.

I don't know what your price range is but look for lightly used models you will save a ton of money. Right now the equipment industry is hurting. You can haggle the price with salesman. They are more then likely desperate to make a sale. If you know what you are talking about (research the machine you want to buy) and how to use reverse psychology by putting the fear of loss into the salesmen you'll be able to get a good price. Point out parts of the machine that other companies do better. Just not so much to offend the sales rep just enough to let them know you know whats going on.

Hope this helps
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2010
  15. jbell36

jbell36 Senior Member
    from Kansas

nice, thanks for all the responses...i debated on posting in the heavy equipment forum first but thought i would get more responses in the commercial snow removal forum, guess i was wrong...i did use the search feature and couldn't come up with the answers i was looking for, and you guys pretty much just answered my exact questions...i know a little bit about skids but when specifically talking about bobcat the model numbers confuse me...unltimately it all comes down to a machine doing what i need, doesn't matter what make, and i would rather grow into a bigger machine...we are thinking about $20,000 for what it's worth...after doing more research it sounds like the 185 or 205 area is what we are looking at or a comparable john deere since we have a great dealer in town, just seems like bobcats would be easier to find especially for attachments

once again thanks for the responses this has really helped, feel free to share any more info...
  16. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

You seem to be hung up on bobcats for the attachments. Seeing how for the most part all brands of attachments fit all brands of SS it makes brand a moot point.

There are many good machines out there but if I where to make a list Bobcat would be closer to the bottom than the top.
  17. buckwheat_la

buckwheat_la 2000 Club Member

x2, seems to me that skid steer attachements are universal at this point. our older 1840 case has a different place where the latches come down, but most skid steer plates come universal, cut out for the older and newer machines. But if you are buying 2000 and newer, i think they all come with the same placement
  18. WIPensFan

WIPensFan PlowSite Veteran

Why would you put Bobcat closer to the bottom?
  19. Philbilly2

Philbilly2 2000 Club Member

Before I owned a skiddy myself, I loved New Hollands. I worked for different hay farmers and that is all that they had, as the superboom allowed you to double stack round bales on a semi.

Started working construction and found that it is just like farming in the fact that what people own is all based on dealer support. We have a Case Dealer and a Bobcat Dealer in the area so parts are easy to obtain. Most of the machines around here are either Case or Bobcats.

I personally have Bobcat, but my work has a Case. I like and dislike many things about both machines.

When it all comes down to it, try them all, see what you like and what you feel comfortable in. Ask a dealer if you can demo a few different machines to get a feel for the size that you need.

MIDTOWNPC PlowSite Veteran

you may also want to consider resale value when looking.