1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Skid Loader push Box

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by aaronfralich, Oct 24, 2009.

1. aaronfralich

aaronfralich Junior Member
    from indy

I have a 226b Cat skid loader 60hp how big of a box would you recomend?

2. wheelmanm80

wheelmanm80 Member

10 ft is what i would go with. does that model have 2-speed or just one. i will never use a single speed skid to move snow again they are just too slow. esp. if its a good size lot.

3. Brad3403

Brad3403 Senior Member
    from Alberta

If at all possible, try one out first. I think a 10ft is going to be too big. I've got a S205 which is 66hp and I had trouble pushing a 10ft last year. I think an 8ft would be the best.

4. Italiano67

Italiano67 Senior Member

Ditto on the 8 fter. i dont know how the 2 speed will work when the box is full. Pretty hard pushing.

5. Brad3403

Brad3403 Senior Member
    from Alberta

The other thing to remember is that it is fine if you are leaving the 10ft on site, but if you have to transport it between sites it is a little more difficult. Especially trailering.

6. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

Agreed with the last few posts. The 226 is a small machine, I'd never expect it to handle 10' worth of scooped snow. You'd be making half passes most of the time, therfore losing efficiancy.

7. aaronfralich

aaronfralich Junior Member
    from indy

Thanks for the info !!!!!

8. snocrete

snocrete Banned

8fter....... depending on the type of pusher, a 10fter would work if equiped w/ snow tires.

With dedicated snow tires, a S205 wouldn't have any problems handeling a 10(operator,tires, & design of pusher has an effect on this though). I run my 10ft Bobcat pusher on a subs S185 w/ wolf paw tires, been doing this for about 3 seasons now with no problems. Yes, on a few of the big storms he has had to take smaller bites, but overall we have been satisfied with the performance....I have thought about getting that machine (s205), Its basically a S185 on steroids, really a great package. The couple of 185's I've had were great machines.

9. Doin_It

Doin_It Senior Member
    from Mt.

I have a 10' but a Cat 246B is pushin it. On 6" of wet stuff, it chews through the diesel, thats for sure. 8' for your unit is max, I'd say.

10. fourthcoastcont

fourthcoastcont Junior Member

go 8' My bobcat t-300 handles the 8' really well wish i had bought the 10'. But I have 81 hp

11. ARW

ARW Junior Member
    from Indiana

8'

We build our boxes 8' but make the sides longer to carry more snow.
    Anytime you can keep the mass in the center of any machine it will not list to one side or the other.
    Higher mold boards longer sides easier to transport, easier to push, easier on the equipment.

best of luck.

12. big pusher

big pusher Senior Member
    from ohio

Do not even consider a 10 footer. You will be lucky to push an 8 footer with that machine.

13. wheelmanm80

wheelmanm80 Member

my bad didn't even think about what machine i just saw skid and didn;t read the rest skimming what you read isn't always a good thing

14. snocrete

snocrete Banned

Really?.......:confused:

15. big pusher

big pusher Senior Member
    from ohio

I know I would not want to try to push an 8' box with a cat 226. that is a small skidloader. Have you ran a 226?

16. snocrete

snocrete Banned

Yes, they handle a 8fter just fine.......like I've said before, pusher design, tires, & operator all play a major role in how they perform.

17. big pusher

big pusher Senior Member
    from ohio

I have 2 cat 246c I that I run 10' boxes on and my Dad has a 226 that we only use a 72" bucket on. I did not think it would handle a box. With the short wheel base and smaller tires I figured it would be trouble but maybe we should try one this season!

18. JaimeG

JaimeG Senior Member

We run 8ft plows and pushers on our Deere 325's and 260. These machines could probably handle a 10ft'er but it would be a hassle when moving them from site to site. I would just stick with an 8ft pusher.

19. Eronningen

Eronningen Senior Member

Answer this guys

Is it better to have a box that is attached to the quicktach or a box that you run into with bucket and chain on?

20. ARW

ARW Junior Member
    from Indiana

Quick Couple

If you have to open the door on a machines you have to use a quick couple.
    I don't know of any skid steer machine you would run the bucket and a box. Getting in and out work be a work comp. claim waiting to happen.