1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Skid Loader or ATV for Snow Removal

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by weeble67, Aug 25, 2008.

1. weeble67

weeble67 Junior Member
    from Ohio

Hello, I'm new to the site. I've been on lawnsite for a couple years. I've been doing lawn care for 4yrs. I do this part time. I work full time as a Police Officer. I am really thinking hard about adding snow removal to my business.

Currently I have a 2006 Ford F-350 Super Duty Quad Cab Long Bed Diesel. What with the size of my rig, I know that using a plow would be very difficult. I have been looking into going with a skid steer.

My market is residential, hopefully adding my current list of lawn care clients to my snow removal. Possibly doing one set price monthly for all year long, lawn care and snow removal.

My question. I'm looking for any suggestions on the skid loader for snow removal. I have thought a few times of going with an ATV too. I'm kinda leaning towards the skid loader.

Also pro's and con's on the yearly contract for snow removal and lawn care? I'm in Northwest Ohio, so anyone in the area that wants to throw some opinions my way would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

2. Bossman 92

Bossman 92 PlowSite.com Addict

I only do a couple drives (all commerical), but I think you may want to reconsider your idea of a SS for doing drives.

1) Unless your drives are all down the street fron each other you will have to trailer your SS to each account. PIA

2) Unless you already have the SS sitting around thats a pretty big expense to use on drives.

Just a few things to think about. Bossman

3. KGRlandscapeing

KGRlandscapeing 2000 Club Member

well there are rental companys that will lease them for the winter cause if not there just sitting. But you got a point trailering in the snow isnt fun. You could always add another truck cheap beaters rnt to hard to find. Plowing driveways can kind of be for suckers.

4. weeble67

weeble67 Junior Member
    from Ohio

Most of the lawns I do have drives that I think would be to small to do with a truck where as a ss or a quad would be ideal. I can't even back my 6x12 trailer and my truck in the drives now when I mow. Otherwise I would look at a beater truck and a blade.

5. Bossman 92

Rental companies will rent, but the best I have found are close to $1000 a month.. you have to do quite a few drives just to cover cost.

Sounds like you kind of have your mind made up, good luck with what ever you do.

Bossman

6. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

plow wiyh the truck that is how you will make the most money

i think rent is pricy

7. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

I'm a cop too. Small world.

Anyway, if a plow for the truck is not an option, then the next best option is a nice BIG snow blower in the truck bed or a small trailer! Heck, get 2 blowers so you are never broken down or have another guy help you. They are way cheaper than a skid steer. I think that would be your best bet man. Blowers do the neatest job IMO.

8. Bossman 92

Great idea!

Bossman

9. mike33087

mike33087 Senior Member

put a blade on the truck ... why take the chances of getting out and fallin on your A$$ and then you wont be able to do either job if u mess yourself up

10. Matt L.

Matt L. Member

jmo. if you dont mind trailering, why not get a UTV ? I have a yamaha rino with a 72" blade that pushes an amazing amount of snow. Its small enough to fit any driveway and powerful and heavy enough to handle the large ones.

11. weeble67

weeble67 Junior Member
    from Ohio

As for the Rhino. I have looked into those. I just think that I'm going to have more uses for a SS all year long. Where as with a Rhino I'm pretty much out of work with it in the summer.

12. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

I don't know if snow or wet pavement prevents it, but keep in mind about the skid steer possibly leaving black tire marks on people driveways. Just a thought, but maybe the snow/water will prevent it.

13. Matt L.

Matt L. Member

sounds like you made your decision. skid steers work fine for snow removal. best of luck to you.:waving:

14. weeble67

weeble67 Junior Member
    from Ohio

Thanks for all the input. Now just locating one. I'm looking at a 2000 Bobcat 773. Anyone have pro's or con's?