1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

skid loader help!!

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment' started by windrowsnow, Oct 27, 2010.

1. windrowsnow

windrowsnow Senior Member
    from nw ohio

i am looking at purchasing a skid steer just before winter. i can use it for snow, landscaping, and firewood. nothing smaller than a machine that can lift 1500 pounds. now my question is how many hours is to many? i see alot of machines from 1200 hours up to 3000 hours and they are still fetchng a good price. how much life would one expect to see out of one of these machines before being over hauled?

2. blowerman

blowerman PlowSite.com Addict

If you are not using it much, could last for quite some time! Also, What are you looking to spend?
    A 5 year old machine with a few thousand hours for $12K is a decent price for some guys.
    Much cheaper than new skids that typically range from $30k to 40....

3. windrowsnow

from nw ohio

i dont want to spend over 14k just not sure how many hours is to many hours on a used machine

4. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

A lot depends how well the previous owner took care of it. There are risks buying used but if it looks like a pile of junk at 1800 hrs then chances are it was used and abused. To me, first impressions speak volumes. When I bought mine last year, it was very, very clean but......so far I put new tires on it (which I already knew it needed) and probably about 1,500 into additional repairs, but now (knocking on wood here) its runs great. A word of advice, try to find one with factory heat and cab. Its not worth the aggravation trying to fit after market doors and heaters, trust me!

5. windrowsnow

from nw ohio

yea factory heat and cab are a plus, im looking at either going direct with a dealer bobcat or john deere or even cat. another option i am looking at is sunbelts used equipment, some of the stuff listed is around 12k on up and alot of it looks in really good condition. im just leary of a high hour machine being usedor what is even a high hour machine

6. LoneCowboy

LoneCowboy PlowSite.com Addict

most skid steers are pretty well DONE by 4000 hours.
    Figure 2000 hours is halfway thru their lifespan.

Expect to spend some money initially fixing whatever is wrong on any used machine. (at the very least, full hydraulic and engine oil change)

Skid steers work HARD, small tight heavy machine that is always working with little suspension.

I would NEVER buy a machine from a rental company nor would I buy a machine from a concrete company (running breakers simply wears everything out, true with backhoes/trackhoes too)

7. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

DIDO, I would stay away from a rental purchase if I could. Probably 80% of the people renting it have no clue and just dont care how they run it and by the time the damage starts to show through it your problem. But spending 12k (which is a lot of money but not when buying heavy equipment) plan on doing some repairs.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2010