1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Skid blower

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by nyhog, Nov 2, 2014.

1. nyhog

nyhog Junior Member

Anyone use woodmax 72" skidsteer blower
    I have new holland 185. 19 gpm. Would be used for condominium complex, to prevent excessive stacking on islands and common parking areas. Any input would be appreciated, was also looking into skid pro, thoughts?

2. G&T LAWN

G&T LAWN Senior Member

We use them. we have quick attach XL10. They work well. The key to blowing piles of snow is traction. I wouldnt leave it in a pile more than a day.

3. nyhog

nyhog Junior Member

How about long windrows. The site I have, plows
    Can only push to one side, so all wind rows are bucketed
    Over the curbs, probably about 3 miles worth

4. WIPensFan

WIPensFan PlowSite Veteran

So you're gonna 72" skid steer blower 3 miles of windrowed curb?? Without a high flow skid or blower?? Good luck with that.

5. edgeair

edgeair Senior Member

He will do it faster that way than with a bucket, but I do concur that there may be some disappointment with the performance of this machine/blower combo.

Whatever the OP does, he needs to make sure the blower motor is matched to his flow and pressure. Otherwise, it won't work worth a darn. 17gpm is pretty low for a blower. That is like using a 30 hp compact tractor to blow snow. Will it work? Sure. Will it work efficiently for a commercial operator? Not so much.

I am used to using a matched high flow setup running 37 gpm and I wouldn't go with less IMO.

6. WIPensFan

WIPensFan PlowSite Veteran

I think there will be more than some disappointment,

7. nyhog

nyhog Junior Member

Kind of what I thought. I have a few skid steers
    Was thinking of getting rid of one for a high flow
    I haven't needed one on construction side of things
    But don't want to half ass it when snow is falling
    Thanks for input.

8. edgeair

edgeair Senior Member

Good choice. Never used a NH std flow, but based on hydraulic hp output, you wouldn't be happy on a commercial snow removal machine.

I think its good to have HF on a skid regardless of whether you think you will need it or not. Virtually a necessity for a snow blower.

9. seville009

seville009 Senior Member
    from CNY

That's what I do with my 600' long driveway - when the windrow builds up to around 2', I just drive straight down it with my blower and blow it back. It takes about 15 minutes, depending on how packed it is, of course.

3 miles is long though - if you blow it back while it's still fresh, you could probably move pretty quick. While it's still going to take awhile, it's quicker than pushing it back with a bucket for 3 miles.

Ever thought of using a wing somehow (if that would push it back enough)?

10. nyhog

nyhog Junior Member

My plan as of now is to look into bobcat. I currently have 3 new Hollands, all std ( 2 speed trans does great job with 10 ft box). The problem I run into is bucketing windrows, I can only do it for so many storms, then I can't push them back any further, owners begin to complain about losing visibility at intersections. Hoping the blower will displace snow so the piles aren't so severe. If this makes any sense.

11. edgeair

edgeair Senior Member

Yes, blowing it is the only way to go. Less piles and faster than bucketing. You just have to make sure you get something capable. A tractor might be better if you have lots of blowing to do, but a HF skid steer will do that for you as well. Standard flow will work, albeit slowly.

12. nyhog

nyhog Junior Member

I have a ford 2110 tractor w/ pto
    I know it would be cheaper to get a blower for it
    But can't imagine having a guy drive around
    Backwards for 10 hrs.

13. nyhog

nyhog Junior Member

I have a ford 2110 tractor w/ pto
    I know it would be cheaper to get a blower for it
    But can't imagine having a guy drive around
    Backwards for 10 hrs.

14. edgeair

edgeair Senior Member

You could get one of those fancy inverted blowers from Neige prsport

15. nyhog

nyhog Junior Member

Went to bobcat today. Have to decide on s650. 74 hp
    30gl/ min. 72" blower. Or s770. 92 hp 36 gal/ min 84" blower
    $8,000 difference.

16. edgeair

edgeair Senior Member

Yeah, part of that difference is going to be the upgraded blower. Is that the SBX240 blower?

All things being equal (like system pressure), 6gpm represents about a 20% increase in hyd flow. On my S250, it runs at 37 gpm on I believe 74hp net. I don't find it to be a problem flow wise, but I do notice the engine working hard if I am trying to shove heavy wet snow through the blower. The 18 extra hp would be noticeable IMO, maybe even more than the hyd flow.

I think in that comparison you would benefit greatly going to the 770 if you want to demand top hydraulic performance from your machine. If you can afford the $8 grand, you will likely be much happier. Based on what you are doing, if it were me, and assuming you can put the machine to good use otherwise, I would spring for the extra.

17. edgeair

edgeair Senior Member

BTW, care to advise what these units are retailing for a price check?

18. nyhog

nyhog Junior Member

Yes. Sbx240. $8,345
    Total w tax $ 70,630

Sn240. Blower. $ 6445
    9.6 HYd package $ 1190
    S650 total w tax. $ 62,751

With increase in performance. There is also
    14" additional width on mouth of blower.
    Not sure if they wouldn't perform similarly
    I would almost prefer narrower blower(72")with added hp?

Last edited: Nov 6, 2014
  19. edgeair

edgeair Senior Member

Those totals are with the blower?

20. nyhog

nyhog Junior Member

Yes. Quoted price with discounts