1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Skid/blower or tractor/blower

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Redfield, Dec 27, 2008.

1. Redfield

Redfield Junior Member

I posted a few weeks back about blower or loader and think I decided on a blower.

Briefly, my situation is this - I have to keep 3/4 mile of unpaved road open in an area that sees 300+"/year in Tug Hill of upstate NY. May have to move 4-5' of snow occasioanlly. I like the idea of a front mount blower and I may not be able to clear snow as soon as it falls, so it may be crusty and set up. Oh joy!

What would you suggest - tractor/blower or high flow skid/blower? Cost, as always, is a factor.
  2. bula_1984

bula_1984 Member

Do you have a tractor or a skid loader? I would go with a Tractor blower, You can see more of whats going on around you because you sit up higher and if is on a 4wd tractor your less likely to get stuck if you get in to a situation.
  3. Jdeerekid

Jdeerekid Member

Hey Redfield, We have talked before an I beleive you will be happier with a tractor blower and a loader on the tractor. You will get alot more done and will not get stuck with the tractor vs the skid steer. Also if depends on what else you will do with it. Tractor is much more versitle for year round use. Front mount blowers are nice but are alot more money.
  4. KAG

KAG Senior Member

Tractor or SS

I have both and I never think twice about taking my tractor out into a muddy wheat field. I would never even think about taking my SS out in the same area. Are your tractor hydraulics going to be high enough to run a blower big enough to handle that amount of snow? There is always the compact wheel loader route instead of a SS.
  5. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

Go with a rear mounted snowblower and then later on you can make it front mounted if you want. The tractor is more suited to those types of situations.
  6. Redfield

Redfield Junior Member

I hope so. I love this site. OK, it's gonna be a 4 wheel drive tractor/blower. I believe 50 hp. should be sufficient to drive a 6 or 7' single auger and 80-90 hp. to drive a double auger. I've got a lead on a 70 hp. with a cab. Also have a line on a front mounted double auger. What do you think in terms of pto hp to drive a 6' or 7' blower. I know I want the blower at least as wide as the tractor wheel base.
  7. bula_1984

bula_1984 Member

We have a 8' double auger and with about 20" of snow it takes about 125 hp to run.
  8. KAG

KAG Senior Member

A cab is the way to go. Being extremely cold is not fun. I personally am not a fan of rear mounted pto driven blowers, just hate driving backwards that far. For a front mounted hydro driven blower the hp of the tractor and pump gpm flow together should be considered. Just something to look at. Some of your 35-70hp turbo charged tractors have pretty good gpm flow now days, not saying they will run a big 2 stage but a single stage.... One with at least dual rear remotes already installed is a huge plus and if you find one with a front pto output shaft would be great. More and more of them are coming out with both of those features. I would think even a 35 pto shaft hp would drive a 6ft blower, maybe even less. Keeping in mind pto hp and engine hp are different things.

Just my 2 cents though
    Last edited: Dec 28, 2008
  9. leon

leon Senior Member

snow blower etc.

You need to visit www.tractorbynet.com to learn more about snow blowers and tractors

The power take off will drive the auger or augers through chain speed reduction and a gear box.

The fan tip speed is no different than dealing with a lawn mower blade but you are moving snow.

Do not forget that you will not get the full horse power through the implement/snow blower etc.

As long as you purchase a new blower that is properly sized for the tractor-no worries.
    Used blowers always worry me as I do not own them.

If you are intent of the used blower hire a mechanic to look at it before you let any money change hands-someone who works on tractors or heavy equipment and bring tools!!!!

The problem is roller chain and sproket drives wear and gear boxes wear and collect metal shavings etc.

You may be even more better off buying a used Sicard snow blower in good condition with the engine mounted on the blower assembly and fit it to the front of the tractor from a sicard dealer. They are typically sized for a front end loader or grader and they make small ones too.

in your situation/snow area you will want a unit with an extendable hydraulic spout to throw it higher and farther to.

It is a piece of mind decision over-buy an implement in quality and never worry about overload and breakage as it will cost you much less to own and operate as it is larger than the job it is used for.

The matched blowers are always as wide as the tractor size as a rule-other wise you could not use them as the wheels would get stuck and it would be useless

the rule always is the slower you go the more you throw for distance and volume.

If the seventy horse has auto pilot or can be fitted for auto pilot/auto steer you can buy a rear blower and let it steer it self and just watch it work once the throttle and speed is set. and when its done blowing one lane it stops and you move it to the next and repeat the process.
  10. leon

leon Senior Member

more on snow blowers

a very small used road grader would be an option as well with an engine powered snow blower as well.