1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Skeetching and Snow Plows

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by DaveOhio, Dec 17, 2005.

1. DaveOhio

DaveOhio Member

How many of you guys (or girls) used to skeetch? It was also called bumper-riding. Icy streets like we have now reminded me.

You’d stake out a spot where cars had to slow down or stop then sneak up behind them, crouch, and grip the bumper. HANG ON! You start out slowly but it turns out to be quite a thrill. The drivers didn’t know they had “remorae”. Go for a few blocks then skeetch back to your friends.

Lots of people would let us do it, plow drivers too. The thing that was amazing was the dry spots you could hit without really slowing down. Not saying it wasn’t a heck of a jerk, but you could maintain. I can still remember which cars had the best bumpers. Some were flush like a Cutlass and you had to hang on underneath, kind of underhand. This grip was the most demanding for dry spots.

I don’t see kids out doing this much anymore; maybe there is a video game of it.

Keep the snow coming’ our way.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2005
  2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

We called it poggieing (something like that) did it with the school bus drivers didn't care back then. haven't seen it done in years. Seeing cars don't have bumpers any more i can see why or kids are to lazy nowdays.:)
  3. qualitylawncare

qualitylawncare Senior Member

That doesn't sound like much of a thrill...

I'm 19 and to be real honest, that doesn't interest me in the least.

I would rather be on my sled doing 75mph in a snowstorm.. Thats a rush!:yow!: :yow!:
  4. nekos

nekos Senior Member

lol i use to do this all the time with snow boards / skate boards and a rope .
    anyway , i highly doubt you will see many kid's these day's doing it.
    kid's today are ummmm .... < bad word > :eek:
    my little cousin has to wear a full suit of armor just to ride his bike to school or they will send him home !!! :dizzy:
  5. danno

danno Senior Member

Yeah, I used to do it also. Skeeching was a fun way of passing time. We also used to find a "deserted" plowed street, tie a rope to a sled and car, and do about 50. Having 2 sleds, we would bash into each other.:drinkup:
  6. massbowtie

massbowtie Member

thats what we used to call it.lost a few gloves to some rides though.some of the older guys from the neighborhood would drive around looking for people to mush so they could take you on a hell ride.the good old days
  7. royallawn

royallawn Senior Member
    from kansas

we called it hookybobin
  8. Plow Meister

Plow Meister PlowSite.com Addict

Yea, I had a kid try to do that to me over the last snow storm. I just fired up the salt spreader and, well, that was the last I saw of him:jester:
  9. i was riding with my friend a few winters ago and we had some kids stop us and asked if they could go shaggin' behind our car. It was all good fun.
  10. frndinalowplace

frndinalowplace Senior Member
    from 7hills

We Kinda Do The Same Thing But On Our Fourwheelers. We Tie Rope To The Sled And The Four Wheeler And Have Contests Who Can Get The Guy In The Sled Of The Fastest. Very Fun Specially When You Hit Small Jumps.
  11. dbdrgr150

dbdrgr150 Member

a bunch of my friends and i were out one day prolly 3 years ago with sleds behind my blazer and we were pullin each other around on sleds, then i saw some lady yelling at us to stop.... of coarse we didnt so she called the cops and i got a driving without due dare or caution ticket or somthign liek that, a couple points and a couple hundred dollars later the onlly thing it taught me was not to do it in that neighborhood.
  12. crazymike

crazymike Senior Member
    from Toronto

snowmobile/truck + tractor inner tube + 5 kids = FUN

we range ages 18-60 around here and have a blast doing this everytime it snows.
  13. PremierLand

PremierLand PlowSite.com Addict
    from detroit

haha... last year we would do it once or twice a year, grab on to my tail gate and come for a fun ride. The last thing you need tho is someone to fall and bust their head.
  14. yellowsnow

yellowsnow Junior Member
    from midwest

Snowmobile/fourwheeler + frozen lake + rope + sled also equals lots of fun. Although theres a fine line between americas funniest home videos and faces of death. Good times glad I'm still here to talk about them.
  15. Detroitdan

Detroitdan PlowSite.com Addict

we called it bumper surfing. When that started getting old we would climb on the roof of the my buddys 79 Blazer and surf up there while riding around town in the snow. I'm not sure why most of us are still alive.
    One time I was riding around my neighborhood with my stepbrother skiing behind my car on a rope. The old S$%^Box had a sticky passenger door handle, would occasionally swing open if not latched properly. So, was watching my stepbrother in the side mirror when I suddenly felt a cold draft, sure enough the passenger door opened going around a corner, 12 year old stepsister fell out and rolled into a snowbank, her brother nearly ran her over. Fortunately there was a good eight inches of soft snow to protect her from injury. Funny thing is, she never made a sound! Personally I ALWAYS yell something when I'm falling out of a moving vehicle. They say God looks out for children and fools, we had it covered on both counts that day.
  16. wissel_landscap

wissel_landscap Junior Member

I remember i was about 15 my friends and i were out in a bad snow storm
    in the middle of the night we were trying to ride the backs of newspaper and UPS trucks, this full size old van starts to slow down so i figure i can catch a ride i sneak up behind him just as i reach to grab the bumper he sees me and punches it well my fingers caught the edge of the bumper ripped my glove off and torn the skin all the way up to my finger tips i was bleeding like crazy my friends thought it was the funniest thing and to top it off my friends say put some snow on it so i reach down grab some snow and of course with my luck the salt trucks had salted earlier it stung so bad i was jumping around in a circle screaming like a girl and all my friends are on the ground laughing like crazy i think that was the last time i went out skeetchin.
  17. RayGauthier

RayGauthier Member

We did it to but behind a ski-doo .We would go to a local bar and find some sleds and wait till they came out and just as they take off we would jump on the back bar and slid on our backs you would really have to hold on because most of the time they were drunk and didn't really want us there but you could go for about a few miles if you were good. I guess i remember this because I'm 33 the good old days. If I ever found my son doing that I'd kill him (kinda of funny) .
    :nono: :nono: :nono: