1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Size of plow?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by Travisvt, Sep 28, 2015.

1. Travisvt

Travisvt Junior Member

Hi I just got a new 2015 GMC Sierra that was offered with the 8'6" hd2 Fischer Minute mount 2 plow. I am wondering if the 8'6" is to large of a plow for that truck or in general? It is brand new so I can probably trade it for a smaller plow if thats what makes the most sense and thats why I figured I would ask.

I will mainly plow residential driveways

Thanks in advance.

2. seville009

seville009 Senior Member
    from CNY

I think it is a normal size plow. I had a 7.5' Snoway on a 1999 Expedition. I then got a 2006 F350 because I wanted a V plow. I kept the plow at 7.5' tho, which was a mistake because it was just too small. Swapped it out for a 8.5' V plow; much better. Have wings for it too so it can be 9.5'

I'm guessing your truck can handle it weightwise if the dealer put it on.

3. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

If it's a 2500, then go with it. If your talking about a 1500 then it might be to big.

4. Travisvt

Travisvt Junior Member

It is a 2500, should've mentioned that.
    Thanks

5. Travisvt

Travisvt Junior Member

Is there anything I should add to the front end of the new truck to help the suspension? Would like to take any precaution I can to get longer out of the truck... other than not plowing :)

6. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Can turn up the bars some.

7. Travisvt

Travisvt Junior Member

What do you mean by "bars"?

8. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

Torsion bars. Do they even still use those on these new trucks? Just wondering.

Make sure to use ballast and then see what the front end needs, if anything.

9. CowboysLC_DE

CowboysLC_DE Senior Member

Timbrens or a smilar product could be a preventative option. Adjusting the torsion bars is not a permanent fix. I got lucky that mine last two years while being tensioned up.

Michael

10. Travisvt

Travisvt Junior Member

Thanks for the help, the Timbrens look like a good solution. Does anyone have any experience with them
    and know how the make the truck feel/handle when the plow is not on? Also can you put just front ones in or is it recommended to put both front and rear?

11. seville009

seville009 Senior Member
    from CNY

I put Tinbrens on the front and rear when I plowed with my 99 Expedition. They helped alot. You don't really feel them at all; they just help to keep the truck from sagging too much or bottoming out. If the truck isn't loaded, the truck won't be sitting on them.

12. Travisvt

Travisvt Junior Member

Thanks, I was just wondering while driving at a nomad speed on a road if you notice any change in suspension. I am curious if it is just for the plow if I even need them on the rear?

13. seville009

seville009 Senior Member
    from CNY

I put them on the rear too because it helps when you've got the back loaded up with stuff (including ballast for the plow)

14. JustJeff

JustJeff 2000 Club Member

You can't feel them at all during normal driving. They're basically bump-stops, to stop the truck from bottoming out. If it were me, I wouldn't even put them on your truck with a straight blade. Your truck will handle your blade no problem. But if you want, go ahead and put in the Timbrens. They only cost a couple of hundred bucks and install easily. You won't need them for the back unless you're installing a spreader.

15. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

Hold on, this a 2015 2500?

If so, you'll just need weight in the bed.

No need for spat in the front end.

16. Travisvt

Travisvt Junior Member

Yes its a 2015 2500 and 8.5' plow straight blade.
    What do you recommend for weight in the bed?

17. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

500 lbs behind wheelwells