1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Size of plow for a dumptruck??

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by frndinalowplace, Feb 1, 2007.

1. frndinalowplace

frndinalowplace Senior Member
    from 7hills

I need some help here. My dad wants to put a plow on our dumptruck{2wd] untill we make money to buy another dumptruck tht will be 4x4. What size plow would you recomend? We will be going with meyers. I was thinkin of a 8.5. Thnx in advance

2. Wesley's Lawn

Wesley's Lawn Senior Member

It would be nice to know what kind of truck.;) Im going to assume its that 3500 you have listed in your signature. Put at least a 8.5 to 9 footer on there cause of the duals. Just load it up with pleanty of weight in the back and you will be fine. We would run two big trucks, F600 and a sterling with 10ft plows, two wheel drive and loaded with salt no problem.

3. frndinalowplace

from 7hills

ya sry bout tht yes it is the truck in the sig. Chevy 3500.

4. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

8 1/2 ft. minumum. If your only doing open area's then I'd go with a 9ft. We have an 86 F-350 2WD with an 8 1/2 ft Western and it work's great as long as you have ballast in the rear and you use your head. :D

5. frndinalowplace

from 7hills

Ya was planning on putting ballast. The truck will be used for parking lots mainly unless something happens to the other truck.

6. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Then I'd go with an 8 1/2 with wings or even a 9 with wing's.

7. ThisIsMe

ThisIsMe Senior Member
    from Mass

One thing to keep in mind are the width laws for you state. Some are getting pretty strict.

8. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Then I'd go with an 8 1/2 with wings or even a 9 with wing's.Don't waste your time with anything smaller as if you do end up transfering the plow to a 4X4 you'll wish you would of gone bigger.