1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Size of cables for battery & alt. size.

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by moosey, Nov 24, 2005.

1. moosey

moosey Senior Member

What is the normal size for battery cables and cables going to plow motor. Also what is the perfect size alternator for a plow truck. I'm a veteran but have only run others trucks for plowing. This is my first year running my own truck. All will be greatly appreciated.
  2. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

This is a question asked at least once a week.
    Most people here say at least a 100 amp alternator and the biggest battery/batteries you can fit on the tray/trays.There are sites on the inter- net that you can order big alternators right off the shelf. Bigger cities have automotive electrical shops that can rebuild your stock alternator into a higher output cheaper then off the shelf new ones.
    (rebuilt:about $1.25 an amp ) The shop can advise you on what to do to upgrade the cables to the battery from the alternator to handle the added amps.
    The cables are just standard battery size Gage with soldered on terminals on most systems. Put dielectric tuneup grease on all connections to protect them from crud and corrosion.
    Last edited: Nov 25, 2005
  3. mcfly89

mcfly89 Senior Member

i use 4 guage on my smaller setups and 2 guage on my larger plows. helps to keep the lights from dimming when u hit the trigger.
  4. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

I would never use anything less than 0 guage cables for plowing from batt to alt- whatever Fisher supplied is what feeds my MM, I think it's 2. Stock for my truck is a 136Amp alt with plow prep and diesel engine- stock gasser is a 120 in Dodge. Depends on your truck, but aside from that, I would say follow Mick's advice.